PDA

View Full Version : bushmaster is great

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I bought a new flatop 762x39 and before it arrived i bought 6 cproducts magazines. first couple trips to the range were frustration. the bullets tended to nose dive into the ramp and the springs in the mags didnt seem to be strong enough to push the rounds up when they were fully loaded. I tried tweaking the mags and cutting and polishing the feed ramp but just couldnt get it to feed reliably. I called bushmaster and they said to send it in with all my mags. I sent it with the 6 cproducts mags and the one bushy mag that came with it (it didnt work either) Only one c produts mag seemed to feed reliable and i marked it as such. A week later i got the gun back and they recut and repolished the feed ramp even more and test fired the gun with 7 new mags and replaced all of the cproducts mags with theres. They obviously use cproduts mags themselves and just mark them differnt as there identical. Ive heard that the first batch of cproducts mags for these guns were weak in the spring and they updated them down the line and my guess is i got some of the old ones. either way i though that bushy replacing them even though they werent theres was above and beyond what was expected and i think they need a little pat on the back!

Cherokee
12-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Good for Bushmaster, and for you Lloyd. I have C Products mags for my 762x39 Colt upper and haven't gotten around to using them yet. Guess I need to try them out. Did you get the 10's or 30's The cheap old sheet metal 20 rounders that were the only ones available years ago have worked just fine for me. My 762x39 is just as or more accurate than my 5.56x45 with my ammo. Enjoy....

StarMetal
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Lloyd,

I've been following the C-Product mags quite a while. You see he makes the mags for the 6.5 Grendel. There have been numerous modifications. I can't think of many that own the 6.5 that haven't had some kind of mag problem. The guy that owns CP is a really nice guy...Nam vet. They changed followers, bodies, everything. Fortunately the 6.5 mags I have work. Now here's something interesting. I built a 7.62x39 and being as cheap as I am, I used my 6.5 Grendel mag and it runs fine! They are so close in size, but yet are indeed two different mags. I told CP about this hoping it might shed some light an fabricating his then new 7.62 mag.

As an aside what feed ramps does your Bushmaster have?

Joe

Potsy
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Buddy of mine has a Bushmaster Varmint Special. Wasn't shooting to suit him so he called them. They asked him what factory loads he had tried and he told them, they then asked him if he handloaded for it and he said yes (most companies end the conversation right there), the guy on the other end asked him what loads he tried, he told him, Bushmaster's guy then proceeded to tell him that those were pretty standard and should shoot better than that and they'd send him a call tag.
He shipped the rifle, got it back in a week and a half, apparently there were some bolt carrier issues. Rifle shoots great. Warranty, no charge.
It doesn't take much to know more about an AR than I do, but I do know what brand I'll buy when I buy one.

The Double D
12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Are those 7.62 x 39 Mag for the AR based weapons curved or straight?

Cherokee
12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
DD- the 10 rd mag is straignt, the 30 rd mag is really curved.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
mags i had the problems with were 30s and yes there curved like an ak mag. Kind of homely. I also have some 10s that i havent tried yet.

The Double D
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I read a some papers some years ago about the development of the Ak and the German gun that inspired it. The curved magazine was the solution to getting the heavily taper 7.62 by 39 round to reliably feed, Same principle is used in Lee Enfield magazine to work around the rim. If the Lee Enfield had a 30 rounder it would be banana shaped...heavy banana!

Cadillo
12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
A number of years ago I purchased two (2) stripped lower receivers directly from Bushmaster and had them shipped to a friend who was an FFL holder. One I built up right away, and the other I sat on for several years before attempting to build another rifle. As I began, I noticed that the hole for the safety detent had not been drilled. They had simply overlooked it during manufacture.

I phoned Bushmaster and asked if they would fix the problem if I sent it in. The arrogant buffoon I spoke to told me that unless I could provide him with a receipt bearing my name, the receiver would not be fixed. I pointed out to him that the product bore his company's name and that the hole didn't simply disappear, but that they had failed to drill it. I went on to tell him that as I had purchased it directly from them, their records should indicate that I was the initial purchaser.

The guy basically told me that the onus was on me to produce a receipt, otherwise I was on my own. Fortunately, after quite a bit of searching I found the receipt and called back telling them that I was sending them the receiver and a copy of the original receipt from Bushmaster at the time of purchase. Of course, I had to pay the shipping to them. I finally got the receiver back with the hole drilled and with no finish applied to the bare metal left by the process. I have not bought anything else from them or their line of products.

I found them to be very arrogant and just not wanting to be bothered with anyone else's problems regardless of whether or not they had created the problem in the first place.

Your milage may vary, but I've had my turn in the Bushmaster barrel. [smilie=b:

softpoint
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a Model 1 Sales upper for my Rock River bottom half that is 7.62x39. I ordered 4 mags for it from c products,three 10's and a 30. I only have about 200 rounds thru it, but so far ,everything has worked perfectly, although I use the 10 round mags more than the 30. Accurate rifle, too, even with Russkie ammo.:drinks: