PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 High Wall

NickSS
12-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Today I dug out a rifle that I have not shot all year because I had lost my blow tube. It is my C Sharps 1885 high wall in 38-55. Well I finally got around to making a new blow tube and I found a box of ammo I loaded a couple of years ago so went to the range today. The ammo was loaded with a lee 250 gr flat point sized to .379 and loaded with 42gr of FFG according to the label on the box. It was raining hard all day but not blowing at all while I was at the range but it was also foggy in patches that kept moving across the range slowly. I really did not expect the shoot all that well with old ammo and bad seeing conditions. Well my first shot at 100 yards (I could not see the targets at 200 due to rain and fog) hit at 11 o'clock in the white. I made a sight adjustment and the second shot took out the top of the X. I proceeded to shoot the rest of the 10 round string without looking at my scope. By the end of the string I could only vaguely see the target but I thought all were in the black except for the first shot. So I shot another 10 shot string on another target and went down to check my results. I was very happy. First target had the one high shot and the rest of the target had 7 Xs in one hole with two slightly high in the 10 ring for a group size of 1.25". The second target was a little larger with six Xs and 4 10s for a 1.5 inch group. Considering that I had a hard time seeing the target I was very pleased and surprised that I did so well.

Boz330
12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I've got a C-Sharps 75 in 38-55. I use the Lee 250gr sized to .376 for hunting. To be honest I've never really spent a lot of time grouping the 250 since the Lyman .335gr shoots so good in it for target work. The 250 shoots well into minute of deer though.

Bob