PDA

View Full Version : What suface to put electric lead pot on?

340six
12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I have a folding tabe that is pretty stable{as stable as any table would be} but is plastic from Sams Whole Sale Club. Be easy to set up outside and put plywood on top it.
I also have some particle boad that has a clear coating on it or even a cement backer board like Hardi board.
What would be the better thing to do?

Is it ok to use the electric pot inside a small garage? Are the gas's that bad?

This would be to cast cleaned and fluxed lead into moulds not smelting to make ingets

RobS
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Plywood will work; I would definately use something on top as it is plastic. Casting in a garage without ventilation is something that I will not do even if others don't believe it will hurt you...............I think it can so I use a large box fan in front of a open window with a homemade shroud above the pot to suck the fumes out to the outdoors.

mooman76
12-15-2009, 11:21 PM
You can crack the garage door for ventalation. That's what I do and I had bloodwork and checked. My lead levels were super low so no problem. The bottom of the pot (the stand that holds it) doesn't get hot. A piece of plywood would be fine.

12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
340six,

Plywood. I sit the pot on a one-foot square piece of aluminum...makes it easier to sweep up the droppings.

I cast in the garage. Sometimes I'll don a respirator, but mostly not. I figure that whatever is released from the pot is far less harmful than the air outdoors. I smelt outside, though.

Westwindmike
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I cast on my carport using a Workmate portable work bench. I clamp the Lee Lead melter on top using the vise feature. Very stable and it folds up for storage.

HeavyMetal
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Folding tables and lead pots scare me as bad as a folding knife that isn't a lock blade!

I understand the need for flexability in work bench's but a folding table is asking for a big heapin helping of trouble.

The work mate is a much better idea or, and I think this is better, build a work bench that folds down from the garage wall! Legs can be hinged and the work bench can have a safety strap mounted on it. BUild it out of 2x4's and then fold it back against the wall when not in use.

The one I have works great.

One other idea: ask SWMBO about the folding table and lead pot idea. Odds are you'll get an answer and fast!

lwknight
12-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Those portable plastic tables from sams will melt with boiling water!!
The base of the melter gets pretty hot and will get a hot spot under the spout if it drips much.
Any kind of wood works just fine.

GP100man
12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
If the table is stable enuff use it , the toppin the more harder & slicker the easier cleanup will be .

As far as fumes from lead you`d have to run it at 850f plus & be trying to snort it to get lead ,but the flux compound is another story the fumes have to be evacuated .

when i cast in doors I just put a window fan in the window to create a cross draft to keep the fumes going downwind.

Mk42gunner
12-16-2009, 02:31 AM
My casting bench is also my reloading bench/gun repair bench/ you get the idea. It is made out of 2x6's and is 22" (four wide) by 47" long, glued and screwed together. The legs are also 47" long, I got the wood from the scrap pile at one of the places I worked; it had been bracing on pallets.

I like anything that will have a container of melted lead on it to be solid enough to work as an engine stand.

Your plastic table will probably work with any of the extra tops that you mentioned, but I have to ask if your family uses the table for camping or picnics??? I know that no one is going to eat off of my workbench...

Robert

340six
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
No one will eat off it It is an extra one i bought since a chair fits under it and is adjustable in hight. I have and area outside the is covered on 2 of the 4 sides that I I grind and sand in when preping for polishing aluminum/stainless and have since 1992.
The garage is jusy a one car with 1 car,washer/dryer. 60 gallon verticel compresser,hot water heater,22cf freezer and a cubby hole for my tools.

John Guedry
12-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd put plywood on top and go with it.

canebreaker
12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
I place my pot in an alum tray. Lead won't stick to it. The cheap disposable cookie trays, 12x16, 2 for 1.00 work great.

Hickory
12-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I use an old cookie sheet I picked up at a gargage sale.
It holds the ingot mould and enough lead for a good long casting session.
And when I'm done I can put it under the bench out of the way.

Pitmaster
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the size of the tabletop and clamped on. The Lee pot sits inside a cookie sheet. I'm perfectly comfortable with the safety of this set up. Although, I need to get a different chair. I'm using one of those cheap plastic ones. I need one I can get out of and away from a little quicker just in case.

BD
12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Any sturdy table will do if you protect the top from the heat. I like a piece of sheet metal under my casting pot as the lead drops don't stick, and it can be easily wiped down. The oxides and salts of lead are what poison you. A piece of plywood will build up with these over time. I used a scrap piece of stainless steel sheet from a restaurant we closed for the table top of my casting bench in Maine. Works great. A junked restaurant work table would be ideal. If thier's a used restaurant equipment supply near you have a look out back. The condemned stainless steel stuff gets sold by the pound.
BD

sargenv
12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I usually place my 4-20 Lee pot into a half sheet baking pan (Aluminum type with about a 3/4" lip), and then pad that pan with one or two cotton terry cloths that sit between whatever table I am using and the sheet pan containing the electric pot. Those cotton terry cloths can take a fair amount of heat (why cooks use them) and they are cheap. It has saved my bacon once or twice when I mistakenly set the spout a bit too open and it was all pouring forth when it hit melt temp. I use either the patio table or one of those heavy duty workmate type tables (not the plastic one).

Adk Mike
12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I use my shop workbench. 36 inches high. I built a small stand for the pot to set on and under the stand is a cigarbox for spurs and rejects. It is just the right height when sitting on a bar type stool or you can stand. Then to get fancy I installed a kitchen range hood over the bench.

WHITETAIL
12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes use a piece of wood for the table top.
Never trust plastic for any melting.[smilie=b:

DLCTEX
12-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Check with your local carpenter for a used solid core door for a bench. You can even use the door hinges to attach it to the wall to fold away if you want. Or try your Home center for one that is damaged on one side for a reduced price.

deltaenterprizes
12-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the idea of hardiboard, it won't burn and has good heat insulating properties, put a put a piece of thin sheet metal on top for the drips.

TAWILDCATT
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
the fumes coming off the pot is dirt and grease,the lead would have to get red hot before any thing comes off.just dont put you head in it.having had a state inspecter check out the club reloading room I do think I know what is going down.
and my casting was checked also.:coffeecom