PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Arms 25 acp?

dk17hmr
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Honest opinions wanted from people who own/shot one. I know alot of people dog the 25 acp, I dont care to hear that. Its not going to be a carry gun....just another one to play around with.
Looking at one like this:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150367591

dualsport
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Like you said, something else to play with. I think it makes sense, anyway. My Raven goes bang, I wouldn't want somebody to shoot me with one. My mom used her Baby Browning to scare off two attackers in seperate incidents way back in Chicago. I know, this is no help, just a little moral support! Never reloaded one, but I will, someday. I read an article years ago about a guy who made steel pointed solids on a lathe, from his .25 they penetrated a lot, don't remember what.

autofix4u
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Well mine goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Clean, dirty, abused and left in the glovebox for a year or more at a time, never fails for any reason. But I still don't care for the pistol. And I will never try and load the 25acp again, my fingers will never be the same. hope this helps, Josh

Poygan
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I thought I heard there is a reliability issue with this make. I have a Beretta Jetfire that is very reliable. I also cast for it. Certainly not my best choice but far better than nothing. In reloading I obtained better penetration with a 35 grain JHP reload than with a factory 50 grain.

blaster
12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I shot the 22lr of the same design a few years back. It was a decent little gun, I thought, for the $100 the guy paid for it. His had 2 bbls a 3" and an extended (5"?) one. Great little toy for that kind of money. Put the hurt on some pop cans.

KYCaster
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
There are a million stories in the city.....this is just one of them.....

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread....this was told to me by a friend who was a detective on the Jefferson Co. KY PD, and your question just brought it to mind.

The incident occured at a suburban White Castle restaurant when a guy made a pass at a Hispanic girl. The girl's boyfriend was not pleased and an altercation ensued.

Several shots were fired and the investigating officers recovered two .25 cal handguns and numerous live rounds in addition to the empty cases from shots fired. It appeared that every round fired from both guns resulted in a jam, and live rounds were ejected so the battle could continue.

After rounding up every suspect in the vecinity the only eye-witness available was found at a nearby hospital with a .25 cal bullet in (as Forest Gump would say) his butt-ocks. The patient wouldn't admit to being a party to the fray, but was struck by a stray round while fleeing the scene.

When asked if he could identify the person who fired the shot, he replied, "Naw man....all them Messicans look the same to me!"

dk17hmr
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I think your freind was pulling your leg because I dont believe it.........White Castle is not a restaurant.

KYCaster
12-16-2009, 02:22 AM
I think your freind was pulling your leg because I dont believe it.........White Castle is not a restaurant.

Weeeellllllllll...you do have a point there. But I know for a fact that he can empty a bar so fast it'll make your head spin.....but that's another story.

Jerry

jdgabbard
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM

Your absolutely right. Its a fast food restaurant...

EMC45
12-16-2009, 07:10 AM
My Dad has a Phoenix in 22LR. and it is decent! I tore it down about a year ago and and cleaned/oiled everything and then took it to the range and fired about 100 rds through it and it functioned perfect with pretty good accuracy.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
i had a berreta 25 and loved it. My buddy who travels alot conned me out of it and i replaced it with a couple lcps. Ive even done penetration testing with the 25 and ill tell you one thing. If it can shoot through 1/2 plywood using gold dots your jacket doesnt have a chance in hell of stopping one. Id sure hate to be at the wrong end of someone emptying a little 25 in my chest. I think alot of the bad press the 25s got was from the bad bulllets (hard nosed ball) that were used in the day and the fact they were underloaded at that. Ive heard a few times that a 22 is superior and have to laugh. The .25 is a much harder hitting gun in the same package. Personaly i feel pretty good with one in my front pocket.

Marvin S
12-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Ive neaver seen one that was not reliable and more accurate than it should be ( dont know about this particular brand) but most of them I have shot. Not the case for the 22LR which will most likely jam every other round. Yea they are a pain to reload just because everything is so small and it only takes a couple flakes of powder.

Shooter6br
12-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Have a Raven 25acp with an extra mag I keep it in my work bag (I have a CWP) Better than throwing stones for self defence

dk17hmr
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a Keltec P32 for carry, when needed....normaly have a 45 acp with me. Looking at a 25acp for plinking/rabbit shooting. Between my dad and I we have 2100 or so peices of brass, better than 1000 J-bulelts, both 35gr HP's and 50gr FMJ's, plus I have a Lyman double cav mold. If only I could find a 6 shot revovler with a 4" barrel. The Phoenix seem about the right price for blasting/truck gun.

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
hamilton bowen made a real slick little revolver on a j frame in 25acp with little moon clips. Kind of costly though but slick as hell.

Bucks Owin
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
True, the .25 ACP hasn't much "horsepower" but at least you can reload it unlike a .22 WMR for instance. Cheaper too! I expect reloading it will be a good challenge. Power to ya!....Dennis