PDA

View Full Version : Hot Plates!!

GP100man
12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Was walkin `round with the wife doing Christmas shoppin & found a hot plate that looked suitable for warmin molds,$12.00 later I was ready to head to the barn!!

Tried it out dis evenin, all i can say is if ya don`t have 1 get 1 !!!!!

I let my melt start up & put it on low (this was enuff heat) got everything ready & the first boolit was as crisp as the last .

next session I`ll have my temp gun so I can see the temp the mold gets to .

What is considered a good temp to run a steel Lyman mold at ????

What would be considered too hot & damaging ? , I know theres alot of variables we deal with !!!

Or just leave it on low & go with it !!!

Muddy Creek Sam
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Did ya get 2?

Sam :D

GP100man
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I can`t say just yet!!!

Muddy Creek Sam
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Dang, All of a sudden, Katie is laughing at us.

lwknight
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
When my molds are up to production speed and everything if leveled out, the molds run about 380f. I try to preheat at least to 300. If I get impatient, it only takes 3 or 4 casts to be full temp. Much over that I start getting slow spru cooling and frosting insead of just a satin finish.

montana_charlie
12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a small square can with a piece cut out of one side big enough for the handle jaws. Inverted over the mould, it makes an enclosed 'oven' to keep the blocks more evenly heated.
I rest the handles on a prop so the mold bottom sits flat on the hotplate.

I shoot for 400 degrees.
CM

Edubya
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I let my melt start up & put it on low (this was enuff heat) got everything ready & the first boolit was as crisp as the last .

next session I`ll have my temp gun so I can see the temp the mold gets to .

What would be considered too hot & damaging ? , I know theres alot of variables we deal with !!!

Or just leave it on low & go with it !!!
If it worked before, why go changing it?
I'll throw a piece of aluminum foil over the mould, as well as the smelt to keep some more of the heat in. I dunno but the cooks do this for cooking big birds and other things that have a lot of mass, figured they might know more than I do.:shock:
EW

Muddy Creek Sam
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
EW,

The foil in Cooking is used to keep the Moisture in when cooking something large.

hoosierlogger
12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I just run a propane torch over my molds for a few seconds before I start.

Edubya
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
EW,

The foil in Cooking is used to keep the Moisture in when cooking something large.

Well, it reflects the heat too. doesn't it?
EW

geargnasher
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I finally broke down and bought one myself, BigLots for $10, it was the last one (display model or I would have bought a spare). Since then I've preheated moulds, made several batches of lube, a batch of lip balm and a batch of Winter Knee/Knuckle/elbow grease. Even used it on super-low to keep my coffee cup warm when it's too cold in the shop for my candle warmer to keep up.

I like the cover idea in conjunction with a mould rack to make a mini mould oven. That would be super for keeping things going during trips to the head/fridge/stretch breaks.

Gear

HeavyMetal
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Anybody that hasn't tried a hot plate for keeping molds at casting temp is missing a bet!

Got mine last year from Wal Gren's $9.00! Got a piece of steel plate welded a couple piece's of round steel with holes drilled into them for my HP pins and man you can't believe how easy it is to keep HP boolits rolling out of a single cavity mold! Temp dial is set just under Medium.

Use it with my 6 banger Lees as well!

Russ in WY
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
GP100man , would like to know more about the [Temp Gun] .. Brand/Cost & source & temp range??? Could you expound on it a bit more .. Tks Russ.

Edubya
12-15-2009, 07:25 AM
GP100man , would like to know more about the [Temp Gun] .. Brand/Cost & source & temp range??? Could you expound on it a bit more .. Tks Russ.

I ain't GP100, but he's probably talking about something like this:http://tinyurl.com/Non-Contact-Laser-Thermometer
EW

lwknight
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Russ, be advised that the touchless I.R. temp meters do not always work out on anything shiny, like melted lead or aluminum.
I use mine on the aluminum molds but my molds are stained up and well used looking.

GP100man
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah , I bought a touchless 1 that went to 1500f & hit my melt it said 200f, HUH???

Anyways I use it for work & it`ll suffice for monitering the molds.

Ya can get 1 that`ll go to 500f for around $50.00 now (FLUKE brand)!!!

As far as source any decent hardware outlet otta have em !!

John Guedry
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
How many watts does your new treasure produce?

chris in va
12-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I recently bought one from Big Lots as well, works decently enough for a small iron skillet. I'd like to coat the outside of the pot with some sort of insulative material though as the lead tends to solidify around the outside edges more than I'd like.

GP100man
12-16-2009, 01:48 AM
John
I think 800 was on the box , CRS does kik in at times though .

I have my 10# & the plate on a 15 amp breaker together & it does`nt trip with both kikin on at the same time , I tried to make it trip & could`nt

Hardcast416taylor
12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I`ve been using an old yard sale buy of a 2 burner hot plate for 20 yrs. or more to pre-heat my ingots in a 8" square cake pan so they`ll be warmed for adding to the pot. I pre-heat my molds this way also, but I still immerse the mold corner in the melt before starting casting.Robert

Gee_Wizz01
12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I went to Walgreens yesterday to pick up a prescription and found the one burner hot plate for $9.99. This afternoon the mail came and there is a $3.00 off coupon for small electric appliances including the hot plate, the coupon is valid starting 12/20/09! Oh well I got to use mine yesterday! If anybody is on the fence get the coupon and pick one up for $6.99!

G

1874Sharps
12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
If the burner is electrical and the element is exposed, one must be careful not to accidentally spill or drop lead onto it. I burned out a burner element by doing that in the early 80s. In retrospect I could have prevented doing that by putting a piece of sheet metal over the burner. Just thought I would mention this and maybe save someone else the hassle.

GP100man
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I`m sittin a ole fryin alumilum pan on it & warming molds & ingots at the same time .

Muddy Creek Sam
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
GP100Man,

Thank you for the very useful Christmas Gift.

montana_charlie
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Does your wife go through kitchen appliances fast enough to strain China's manufacturing capability?
For some reason, my wife can destroy teflon coatings quicker than I can butter a slice of toast.

She recently gave me a deep fat fryer to take to the dump. When I asked if it was 'broke', she said it 'was old, and the teflon coating was shot'.
It is the type that has a plug with a thermostat in a rod, and you plug the whole arrangement into a receptical on the pot. The temperature range on the knob ranged fron down around 150 up to about 500 degrees.

I took this 'electric kettle' to the shop and cut the 'pan' away from the 'bottom'. I left an upturned edge about a quarter-inch high all around.
It was a little awkward to hold it while working the hacksaw...but it wasn't too bad, and the aluminum cut easily.

Sure makes a nice hotplate...about eight inches in diameter.

CM

GP100man
12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
See MC your turnin "GREEN" !!!!

& ya thought you were just a recycler of lead.

Big Country
12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Got one at WalGreens for $9.99 yesterday. 1000 watts

Marcus the Cat
01-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and new to casting and reloading. Actually I am so new that I haven't even started yet..!

My question is, would one of the hot plates I link to below work in place of a Lee melting pot like this..?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=476462

I have been eyeballing two different hot plates.

This one:
Kitchen Selectives Double Burner - DB2 (http://www.target.com/Kitchen-Selectives-Double-Burner-DB2/dp/B000HTO186/ref=sc_ri_3)

Which if it would work, I could use the hotter 1000w side to melt my lead in a skillet or pot and use the other 500w side to warm the mold.

Or this one:
Elite Cuisine Single Coil Burner Rectangle (http://www.target.com/Elite-Cuisine-Single-Burner-Rectangle/dp/B0006A2ZT8/ref=br_1_15?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=13782161&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30)

I read the thread here talking about using hot plates and that obviously some of them work while others don't, for instance this one at Walmart:

GE Single Burner Hot Plate (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12442587)

Which "technically" should do the trick, but I read a couple of the reviews that said it couldn't maintain enough heat to boil water and another said when it got up to a decent temp that a safety switch kicked in and shut it off.

I want to save some money if I can over buying a Lee melter, but I don't want to waste time or money finding out something will not work. Which is why I came here to ask the experts.

Thanks..!

lwknight
01-05-2010, 01:56 AM
I've been watching freecycle forum on yahoo for a rangetop to make an electric lightduty smelter with. A guy could get just a replacement 2200 watt burner and temp control to build a super hotplate.
Sooner or later someone will scrap a rangetop.

HeavyMetal
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Marcus the cat:
Go with the Wal Grens model! In the past I have used a hot plate for exactly what your thinking a small cast in pot from a thrift store and a ladle got me going!

Most of the Lee pots are in the 750 watt range so the 1000w hot plate should be good.

Be aware I have not used the Wal Grens hot plate for melting lead! Just pre heating my molds and HP pins.

If you decide to go this route be very careful where you set up and keep a very close eye on the hot plate once you start as I have heard of some hot plates melting during use!

Because of this I went to a cast iron pot on the kitchen stove for awhile and then to a Lee electric pot and each move was a step up believe me!

Good luck.

bigboredad
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
marcus the cat

I use one just like the one from wal greens it melts a pot full of lead in about 20 minutes and keeps the lead at a constant 725 degrees no matter how much lead is in your pot. for the pot a found a pan at the thrift store with a stainless bottom and holds well over 20 lbs. great for the long casting sessions. for a ladle I found a soup ladle that holds about 2 lbs. of lead then a I drilled a 6/32 hole in the side just below the top to pour out of. I have cast literally thousands this way. I have know clue If going to a Lee pot would be faster easier or better.

WILCO
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I want to save some money if I can over buying a Lee melter....

Make the investment and buy the LEE melter.
I've got the one you're looking at and I love it!
It melts the lead fast and is easy to control the temp.
I use a hot plate for smelting my wheel weights and gun range lead.

Here's a link to the set up that I was using before I purchased the LEE Melter.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55896

340six
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I bought the "GE" at walmart last night just to keep the moulds warm

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I think I'm really starting to get the hang of it around here... ;)

I went to Walgreens tonight and what did I find..?

A 1000watt hotplate for $9.99..! :bigsmyl2:

So I scoot on over to Academy sports and pick up a 6.5" cast iron skillet for $4.99..! [smilie=p:

Then I slide on down to Wallyworld and pick up 2, count 'em 2, gen-u-wine made in China large spoons, one for dipping and pouring the other for scrape'n off the the smegma in the skillet whilest I'm a smelt'n. Both for $1.50 each..!

While at Wallyworld I meandered on over to the auto service department and talked them out of about 50 lbs of free wheel weights, and I even snagged a free bucket out of the deal..! [smilie=w:

Total lead melting equipment cost..? $17.98+ tax

What I would have spent on the Lee melter and dipper..? $32.99 + $3.99 ($36.98)+ shipping.

For a savings of almost $20..!!! :mrgreen:

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Man I just saved more money than I spent on my equipment..!

HeavyMetal
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM
The amazing fact here is you were able to talk the guys at wal mart out of some wheel weights!

You need to write down what was said as every chain store I go to I get the bums rush and the corperate recycling policy line!

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
That's funny..!

And actually that is exactly what the guy told me at first. It might have helped that I asked to speak to the manager right out of the gate, so I didn't risk having a lackey quote and stonewall me with policy.

He told me that they have a guy come by once a week who picks them up for recycling and that pays Wallmart to do so. He then said that they only install steel weights now and they might have a few lead ones they pull. I kind of joked around with him about going to mom and pop shops to get them and told him why I was after them.

I think he thought my casting bullets was kind of interesting then he said "you know what, I'm sure I have some laying around here" and he went and grabbed the bucket and brought it over to me. Then he said "what do I care, it ain't like I'm getting paid to give them to the recycle guy".

[smilie=w:

The amazing fact here is you were able to talk the guys at wal mart out of some wheel weights!

You need to write down what was said as every chain store I go to I get the bums rush and the corperate recycling policy line!

Tazman1602
01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I went to Walgreens yesterday to pick up a prescription and found the one burner hot plate for $9.99. This afternoon the mail came and there is a $3.00 off coupon for small electric appliances including the hot plate, the coupon is valid starting 12/20/09! Oh well I got to use mine yesterday! If anybody is on the fence get the coupon and pick one up for $6.99!

G

+1 on that. I was in Walgreens doing the same thing about two weeks ago and wife came running up to me with that hot plate and the $3 off coupon. If I hadn't tried it I wouldn't BELIEVE the difference heating up my molds before starting to cast makes. First and last bullets the same and no waiting. Not only that but I can fit three molds on the hot plate and no waiting between mold changes!

.......God I love that girl..............

Tazman1602
01-06-2010, 11:50 PM
That's funny..!

And actually that is exactly what the guy told me at first. It might have helped that I asked to speak to the manager right out of the gate, so I didn't risk having a lackey quote and stonewall me with policy.

He told me that they have a guy come by once a week who picks them up for recycling and that pays Wallmart to do so. He then said that they only install steel weights now and they might have a few lead ones they pull. I kind of joked around with him about going to mom and pop shops to get them and told him why I was after them.

I think he thought my casting bullets was kind of interesting then he said "you know what, I'm sure I have some laying around here" and he went and grabbed the bucket and brought it over to me. Then he said "what do I care, it ain't like I'm getting paid to give them to the recycle guy".

[smilie=w:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! You're DONE Marcus. You are hooked now. Keep scrounging all the WW's you can store man, they ain't gonna be around forever. These guys here will have you using things you used to throw out.

A member posted about using his diabetes pill bottles for his sizer dies and top punches. I've been fighting those little tubes sizers come in for years and before I knew it there I was, digging a bunch of old pill bottles out of the garbage can..........

I've been casting for years but never, EVER had very much sucess until I found this place. It's very exciting for me personally to see "the lights come on" with new casters because I fought with it a good many years.

Art

PS -- we wanna see some bullets

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Hopefully I will have all of my equipment bought, setup and casting by the end of this month if not sooner. And you betch'a, I will post pics of my work for sure, everyone's gotta' brag about their wares..! ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! You're DONE Marcus. You are hooked now. Keep scrounging all the WW's you can store man, they ain't gonna be around forever. These guys here will have you using things you used to throw out.

A member posted about using his diabetes pill bottles for his sizer dies and top punches. I've been fighting those little tubes sizers come in for years and before I knew it there I was, digging a bunch of old pill bottles out of the garbage can..........

I've been casting for years but never, EVER had very much sucess until I found this place. It's very exciting for me personally to see "the lights come on" with new casters because I fought with it a good many years.

Art

PS -- we wanna see some bullets

bigboredad
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Marcus
Its funny how excited we get over little things like a hot plate. But on a serious not on my hot plate there is enough room to set my muffin tin ingot on so they warm up as I cast. while I'm waiting for the lead to melt on in the pot I just set set the mold I'll be using on one of the ingots around the pot so by time the lead is ready I just have to stick a corner of my mold in the lead for about 10 seconds and its good to go. Hey good job on your walmart deal that is impressive

Beekeeper
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
OK geargnasher,
Now you done it!
How about some recipes for all that lipbalm ,knee/knuckle/elbow grease so I can make some for the wife who was looking over my shoulder and read your post and wants some.
You ain't gonna tell me you use some of the Kerrville oilwell parifin to make it are you?

Jim

Marcus the Cat
01-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I've been a think'n....

And "technically" we ARE recycling the lead..!

Maybe we should use that fact when we get the brush off from these guys..?

Marcus the Cat
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Why... thank ya'..! :mrgreen:

Hey Marcus
Its funny how excited we get over little things like a hot plate. But on a serious not on my hot plate there is enough room to set my muffin tin ingot on so they warm up as I cast. while I'm waiting for the lead to melt on in the pot I just set set the mold I'll be using on one of the ingots around the pot so by time the lead is ready I just have to stick a corner of my mold in the lead for about 10 seconds and its good to go. Hey good job on your walmart deal that is impressive