PDA

View Full Version : Lube-a-matic II Sizing Depth ??'s

Calhunter
05-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Just bought a brand new RCBS Lube a matic 2. My problem is the bullet gets pushed down to far and ends up coming out a lubed mess. Even when I adjust the botttom screw for depth it still goes in to far adjusted all the way up. I am lubing .38 cal and .45 cal. Both do the same thing. I ended up having to rig a stop under the press itself to limit travel. Is it me or should I not have to mickey mouse rig a brand new machine to do its job right? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. BTW I am using lyman dies and punches. It almost seems that if I put the die in upside down it would be perfect but that wouldn't work because of the O ring seal and stuff. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

:drinks:

Calhunter

:castmine:

44woody
05-20-2006, 01:52 PM
this is right out or the instructions if more than just the grooves is covered with lubricant the bullet is being driven too deeply into the bullet sizer die. in this case the bullet Ejector screw L must be screwed upward one or more turns ----- to do this you have to unlock the lock nut adjust it then lock it back down and DON'T PUT TO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE LUBE CRANK HANDLE or you will get lube all over the bullet I had the same probem when I had mine I hope this helps if not pm me and I will see what I can do to help you out :castmine: 44Woody

Calhunter
05-20-2006, 03:13 PM
The ejector screw is screwed all the way up and it is still a 1/4 inch too short. I've read the instructions about a hundred times. I ended up putting a nut at the top of the threads of the ejector screw to give me the extra length I need.

Calhunter

StarMetal
05-20-2006, 03:18 PM
If it's 1/4 too short how do you get the sized lubed bullet out of the die???

Joe

Calhunter
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
That's another thing..... It doesn't fully come out of the die. When the handle is fully up the bullet sits about 1/4 inch below flush with the top of the die. I can get the bullets out easily though.

Calhunter

Bullshop
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Just bought a brand new RCBS Lube a matic 2. My problem is the bullet gets pushed down to far and ends up coming out a lubed mess. Even when I adjust the botttom screw for depth it still goes in to far adjusted all the way up. I am lubing .38 cal and .45 cal. Both do the same thing. I ended up having to rig a stop under the press itself to limit travel. Is it me or should I not have to mickey mouse rig a brand new machine to do its job right? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. BTW I am using lyman dies and punches. It almost seems that if I put the die in upside down it would be perfect but that wouldn't work because of the O ring seal and stuff. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Calhunter

You can gain some upward travel to the adjustment screw by removing the lock ring. To do this screw the assembly down and out of the press and remove the lock from the screw. I run mine without the lock. If you want the lock in place thread the adjuster back in the press and when it comes through the threaded portion of the press put the lock ring on at this point. This will work for short boolits but if you go to realy long boolits you will have to reverce it again.
To adjust the push out of the die the nuts on the ends of the two metal rods on eather side of the press are for that. They will controll the position of the metal bar that the ejector pin sets on.
BIC/BS

44woody
05-20-2006, 03:36 PM
ok so that won't work try the 2 rods hanging down move that plate up it has the letter N on it in the instructions :castmine: 44Woody

Calhunter
05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
If the lock ring was thicker it would work. I've already tried. The nuts at the bottom are adjusted all the way up too. It seems to me the ejector screw doesn't have enough threads and just isn't long enough. I'm not home right now but when I get there I'll take some pics and show you what I'm talking about.

Calhunter

44woody
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
ok I finly had so much of the problem that I could stand it no longer I sold mine and bought a star and have not regreted it now I do not have those kinds of problems :castmine: 44Woody