PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks or not?

fusil
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Salut,
been given a new LEE mold for 357. It's SWC with gas check.
Shooting light loads for plinking.:Fire:
What's gonna happen if I dont put gas checks on. :???:
Will it gas cut, lead the barrel or be fine.
Merci tout l'monde.
fusil

MT Gianni
12-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I have left them off when shooting out of a revolver for good accuracy and no leading @1200 fps. I would not push them hard out of a rifle unchecked.

Wally
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
You should try them to see---one thing you will notice, the bullet base will be filled with bullet lube should you use them w/o a gas check.

fusil
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Merci,
I'll be popping them out at about 800 ft/sec. :Fire:
Low power stuff plinking stuff.
Encore Merci....:drinks:

Dave B
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
You probably won't see any difference at all.

runfiverun
12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
i shoot g/c boolits without g/c's frequently the low side seems to be where they perform best.
you just have to search a bit for the right load.
sorry........ that means more shooting,casting and reloading.

fusil
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
i shoot g/c boolits without g/c's frequently the low side seems to be where they perform best.
you just have to search a bit for the right load.
sorry........ that means more shooting,casting and reloading.

Oh merde!!! Live is tough!!!
I'll tell the boss (wife)......wait.....she'll be shooting in the next lane!

fusil

fusil
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
You should try them to see---one thing you will notice, the bullet base will be filled with bullet lube should you use them w/o a gas check.

Wally,
is this a problem?

Will the lube affect the powder? :?:
I use 60/40 Bee's wax and Petrolium Jelly with a splash of STP.

fusil

Wally
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
It can---especially if you use on a hot day... What you can do is to clean the lube from the gas check shank of the bullet with a toothpick or pack a small piece of polyester filler in the cartridge case--this will stop the powder from touching the lube.

lwknight
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Why not just use LLA tumble lube. Its a whole lot faster than pressure lubing and works just as good on low power stuff. I used to think that it was just gimmicky. Finally I treid some TL and used a push through sizer. Boolits worked just as good aand it was a heck ofa lot less work.
There is really no difference between a missing gas check and a bevel base boolit.

dualsport
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
There you go, Fusil. For your application the Lee Lube and Size kit is just the ticket, maybe even not size at all, just tl.

Bret4207
12-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Go down to the Gas Check section. Lots of info there.

243winxb
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
No GC needed. Wipe off lube.

Rodfac
12-15-2009, 10:10 AM
No GC needed on my Lyman #429215 GC mold....a 44 caliber SWC GC design. Groups without the GC, open a bit....maybe 1/4" at 25 yds from a Ruger barrel. I do like the Lee Liquid Alox method .... it's fast and at least as good as those done on my Lyman Sizer/Seater.

My only complaint is that in use, the Lee sizer doesn't seat GC's as well as the Lyman... but that could just be my technique. By the way, with my limited experience with Lee's method, LLA works as well on Lyman traditional lube design bullets as it does on Lee types.

I've cast for over 40 years now and just this past year tried the Lee "swirl them around in a butter tub" method of lubing. It was a revelation believe me. Quick and easy, and very effective...and if you want to shoot a given bullet without sizing, it's hands down the best way to do it. I shoot this particular bullet without the GC at velocities up to 1100 fps without leading issues, and that's with a straight WW alloy. Can't say how it would perform with only LLA and no GC at higher speeds, but only because I haven't tried it yet.

I do wipe the excess lube off the bullet noses after loading,
Regards, Rodfac

fusil
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
No GC needed. Wipe off lube.

Merci,
I'll give them a wipe.
I use LLA on my tumble lube LEE boolits but I like to pan lube also.:grin:

fusil

runfiverun
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
just use a piece of styrofoam from a meat container in the bottom of your sizer it'll block the lube.