PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mold

charger 1
05-20-2006, 06:16 AM
I once saw a boolit around 500 grains that was of the semi spitzer multi goove(10 aprox) gas check design. The fella (whom I dont doubt) told me he loaded it in his lott for MOA accuracy. He's dead,his son sold all his stuff out of the country. I know LBT does some different stuff,however I think if you put the pieces of the puzzle together theres a heap of bad stuff going on at LBT. Can anyone tell me where such an animal might be found

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Look at Lee mold C457-500-F . It does have a FP thou.

charger 1
05-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Ya I was hopin to stay semi spit or atleast round andNOT Lee

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Give a look at the Lyman #457671 it's GC and pointed , but...... it only weighs 475 grains .

Pawpaw
05-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I once saw a boolit around 500 grains that was of the semi spitzer multi goove(10 aprox) gas check design. The fella (whom I dont doubt) told me he loaded it in his lott for MOA accuracy. He's dead,his son sold all his stuff out of the country. I know LBT does some different stuff,however I think if you put the pieces of the puzzle together theres a heap of bad stuff going on at LBT. Can anyone tell me where such an animal might be found

I'm assuming you want something in .45 caliber. Lyman makes a couple of bullets that might be what you are looking for. Hoch (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=967433) also makes great molds. With 10 grooves, sounds like you are looking for a Loverin design, and I don't know much about those.

I know a lot of folks don't like Lee molds, but I have a .459-500-3R mold that gives me MOA accuracy out of my Sharps.

charger 1
05-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Give a look at the Lyman #457671 it's GC and pointed , but...... it only weighs 475 grains .

I'm just wondering how these molds that produce a few deep grooves will fare out when spun out of the modern twist lott barrel at 2300+FPS? My impression is that I would be better with a lot of shallower grooves

felix
05-20-2006, 10:44 AM
The more weight on the outside of the boolit means less twist required. So, deep grooves will theoretically shoot better in a faster twist. Boolits with shallow grooves tend to size better as per Buckshot's post. Deeper the grooves, the harder the lead has to be for sizing considerations. There is NO best design. ... felix

charger 1
05-20-2006, 12:32 PM
The more weight on the outside of the boolit means less twist required. So, deep grooves will theoretically shoot better in a faster twist. Boolits with shallow grooves tend to size better as per Buckshot's post. Deeper the grooves, the harder the lead has to be for sizing considerations. There is NO best design. ... felix

I would beg to differ,more so on a fast twist. Lets really exagerate it to see it. If the groove dia was that of a pencil and the main dia that of a 50 gal drum,could you see how easy it would be then for things to be out of balance,and how the faster twist would magnify it??.I am of the opinion that if your going to spin something fast a lot of medium depth grooves are less likely to be out of tune than a few honkin deep grooves

felix
05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Charger, you are correct for external ballistics. ... felix