PDA

View Full Version : Casting Thermometer

wistlepig1
12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't have a Thermometer yet and ways reading the posts on (Midway) their site about the Lyman Thermo and there is a lote of bad comments.
What is your experence with Lyman or would you spend the extra for the RCBS? thanks martin

RSOJim
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I used a Lyman until yesterday. It didn't work no more after dropping it on the concrete floor. I don't know if the Lyman was accurate or not, but I sure did get some high temp readings using my lee 20 lb pot. Jim

captaint
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Check out Rotometals at the bottom of the page. I got mine there and have had no problems whatsoever. I think it was like 35 bux. Glad I bought it. Mike

Shepherd2
12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I've been using a Lyman thermometer for years. It's the only one I've ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as accuracy goes. I've used it long enough that I know about what temperature to expect at different setting on the pot thermostat. It's consistent in that respect. It's sensitive too. When I add an ingot or sprues to the pot the temp nose dives and comes slowly back up.

I've read a lot of bad things about the Lyman also. I've also read about a few unhappy RCBS users too. So far I'm happy. If I was going to buy another I might go the extra money for the RCBS warranty.

Bret4207
12-14-2009, 08:11 AM
I got mine from The Antimony Man, I think it was around $50.00. They aren't a "must have" really, it's just a way to monitor what you're doing. If you're going to get one, get a decent industrial model.

stephen perry
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
A thermometer is nice to have but is more of a talking point than anything else. I set my pot at 700 deg and cast away. If you change alloys it might take some work to get your temp back to where you want it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

largom
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I doubt that Lyman, RCBS, or others make their thermometers. They buy them from an instrument/gage manufacturer with their name on them, and like everything else, you will get a bad one ever-now and then. If you want a really good one you will have to buy an industrial or scientific grade.

Larry

Rotometals
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Check out Rotometals at the bottom of the page. I got mine there and have had no problems whatsoever. I think it was like 35 bux. Glad I bought it. Mike
Our thermometers from Rotometals.com are the same manufacture as RCBS, we just don't put our logo on it, to save you money. But they are the identical thermometers and much better then the Lyman

Rotometals
12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
and I forgot if you enter coupon code "boolits" at checkout then you get another 10% off Thermometers and all ladles

Frozone
12-14-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

I have no clue if it works.

smallshot13
12-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Tel Tru $19: Ordered one on Dec 4th, got a reply thanking me for the order that day. Since then had heard nothing from them. Tried to email customer service info@trutel, kicked back the email as undeliverable. Replied to the marketing dept that sent me the email, heard nothing back. Got an email late today (Dec 14th) from UPS that they had received the item for shipment with scheduled delivery Dec 21st. Ten days to ship, and only after I had to complain. Not a word of reply from Tru Tel. Seventeen days to get a cheap thermometer, plus $7.00 shipping for the privelidge of it taking 17 days. Today I received a personal call from Tru Tel, appologizing for the delay. I thought that a good move on their part, until the lady says that they are a small manufacturer and don't make the stuff until they get the order. Obviously that was an outright lie. Should have bought a Lyman.