PDA

View Full Version : Problem with current 820

TCLouis
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I have shot over 16 pounds of my old lot of WC820 that is comparable to H110 using plain ol WLP and WSP primers with NARY a problem.

it did so well and todya folks seem to be very happy with the 820 that seems to load using AA #9 data.

I have only loaded 357 Mag and 44 Mag, but have had at least one squib load each day (except one) with this powder. so fr the boolit has always cleared the barrel but at least one skipped up and hit my target frame.

I am using WLP and WSP primers and have never had an issue before. Any of you using current lots of WC820 have these issues? I have 24 pounds of this stuff so I need to get it shooting.

DANG if it were only like the lot of WC820 I have from the "old days".

blaser.306
12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I am just grtting the hang of wc820 and by the time I have it figured out my 4 lbs will be gone:sad: and no more to be had in Canada .But of what I've heard and read everything says to use magnum primers to light this powder off . So as to avoid " inconsistant ignition " Just my .02

Dale53
12-13-2009, 10:21 PM
WC 820 (as well as H110 and 296) requires SIGNIFICANT bullet pull to burn well.

The way I established my charges with my lot was to run loads concurrently with canister H110 the same day, everything else the same, then loaded accordingly.

Your cases need to be full length sized and you will need an expander several thousandths smaller than the bullet size. The only time I had squibbs with these powders is when I was using a .44 Special sizing die that did not give enough case neck tension. You CANNOT substitute a heavy crimp for lack of adequate case neck tension. Since I learned that, I have NEVER had a squib, since.

My "go to" primers have always been Federal 150 LP primers. However, there is NOTHING wrong with trying out magnum primers to see if that solves the problem. It would be a GOOD idea to back off your heaviest load when you change primers to make sure you don't exceed allowable pressure limits.

Keep us posted on what you learn. We can all learn something, perhaps...

Dale53

beagle
12-14-2009, 01:10 AM
My shooting partner had problems of this nature when trying to use lighter WC820 loads in the .357 Mag but when he went up a couple of grains, it fired all right. I don't know what load you're using but you might look at this./beagle

mike in co
12-14-2009, 02:07 AM
i have had one squib....not sure of the cause...but i only use mag primers in my lever gun where the closed chamber benefits from the longer burn. they shoot better in the carbine with mag, and just fine in pistol with std cci lp primers.

mike in co

Maven
12-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Problem with current 820

TC Louis, How current is your lot of WC 820? I'm down to my last ~1.5 lbs. of WC 820 (AA #9) and have never had even a hint of a problem with it in any cartridge I use it in. However, I generally use it with either Ly. #358429 or LBT #359-180GC (roll crimped) in the .357mag. with Rem. #5 primers or Ly. #429421 or RCBS #250-K in the .44mag. with either Fed. LP mag. primers (forgot the no.) also with roll crimps. I.e., I use it with heavier CB's in my revolvers and in my rifles too for the most part.

felix
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Using light loads is a no-no unless the case internals are very clean. It seems, no proof, that the terribly light granules can attach themselves out of the path of consistent ignition. ... felix

TCLouis
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Maven it is real current, as in the last 6 months or so.
Lot #50282

I do have 200 LPM primers to test on it, but was hoping that was NOT the solution for the issue.

I only have about 4 pounds (or less) of my old batch of WC 820 (Lot # A181 (LC12667)) left then I am stuck with this new batch!

The old batch looks different; grain color and size and I shot it side by side with a batch of H110 way back when and it was indistinguishable across the chronograph. It has ALWAYS under any condition lit right off EVERY TIME with my Winchester large or small pistol primer.

This new stuff is quite another matter. I have three jugs, maybe I should test the other two and see if they are the same. I have been starting my testing with just above entry levels using AA #9 loading data.

Boy, do I NOT want to buy magnum primers to use this stuff.

TCLouis
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Since this was a new lot of powder to me, I had been loading it with starting loads for AA #9 in both 357 and 44 Mag.

Today I jumped to mid range loads in the 44 Mag and in low forties temperatures it shot well with consistency between rounds.

I may have answered my own question.

I'll bump the 357 up to mid range and see what it does.

I'm getting low on my good batch of WC 820 so I want this to fill in for some of the shooting with the new batch of WC 820.

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I about use cci 350s exclucively anymore with it. I have gottten squibs with other mag primers but the chronograph shows much better deviation readings with the ccis. I do the same with 110/296 and wc297

9.3X62AL
12-18-2009, 09:49 AM
The slow ball magnum revolver powders all get magnum primers. Because of the bullet pull issue, these powders get used a lot more frequently with the few jacketed bullets I run through rollers. 92/6/2 boolits don't take well to case necks .004"-.006" squeezing them, unless a gas check is blocking for them.