PDA

View Full Version : Update...

dk17hmr
05-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I now have 2 molds I went and bought a .452 230 grain lee tl mold. I also have my 9mm lee mold. Both are double cavity and after messing around with them for a few minutes cleaning the oils of them I fired up my pot. It took some getting use to but in no time I had a system working dropping good bullets from the mold into a bucket of water covered by a towel with a cut in it.

This is what I came up with.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0041.jpg
Better then 1000 all together about 500 of each.
I have them lubed with lee tumble lube you get in the 4oz bottle and are dryin in our reloading room, and some not pictured on the bar in the family room.

Ok now that I have them lubed tomorrow can I load them and shoot them?
The 9mm bullets actually casted to .358, which is what I wanted so we can load them for my dads 38's with a light 120 grain plinkin load.
The 45's casted at .454. I want to load these for my 45 ACP its a 1911 not a wheelgun Im wondering if they will work out?

DK

jcadwell
05-20-2006, 02:29 AM
As long as they will reload and chamber... I've read plenty of people use them as is. I had to size mine to 452 to get the rounds to feed reliably through my 1911. Some would work, while others would flare the case too much and wouldn't feed all the way into the chamber. Sizing them eliminated all feed issues.

My pet 1911 load is the Lee 230 grain tumble lube bullet over 4 grains of titegroup and CCI primers. 1.210 OAL. Not much recoil, no leading, and very inexpensive. About 2 cents a round, not counting lead or cases. I've gone to 5 grains before, but the only difference is cost. No meaningful performance gain, and lubes get pickier.

keeper89
05-20-2006, 02:47 AM
Now doesn't that beautiful rack of boolits DO something for you? And think about this--what do hardcast storebought cost per 500? Now you can have as many as you want over and over and over..........welcome to the addiction!:drinks:

Buckshot
05-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Now doesn't that beautiful rack of boolits DO something for you? And think about this--what do hardcast storebought cost per 500? Now you can have as many as you want over and over and over..........welcome to the addiction!:drinks:

.............Exactly right! BTW, when I TL slugs I just pour'em out, lie as they might
on the waxed paper. Standing them up may be best but what a PITA. I haven't found it neccesary. Yet I wouldn't want to steal any enjoyment you might find in touching each one of your very own personally foundered phoom phodder. :-)

.................Buckshot