PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Rear Sight Ideas Request

school of mines
12-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I am currently working on an 1870 Trapdoor in 50-70. It's a project rifle and among other things the rear ladder sight is broken. I'm looking for ideas for a replacement rear sight that is elevation and windage adjustable. I will be shortening the barrel and relocating the front sight as well. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would like to use the original rear sight base and install a different rear sight that I could make fit. I'm also thinking about replacing the front sight as well, but not so sure I want to dovetail something in since the barrel walls aren't very thick.

Thanks!

Buckshot
12-13-2009, 04:25 AM
.............You have lots of options and I wish I could simply say, "Go here and check out number so and so, and also check ............... and ............ . However Dixie Gunworks does have original parts and pieces for the original TD rear sights. Not all but maybe what you need to make it work again. Gun Parts Corp has quite a few front sight bases, with some being generic types and others that could work but are model specific.

Also check:

http://www.trapdoors.com/gallery.php?area=parts

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/parts.html

http://www.lodgewood.com/45%2070%20Springfield.htm

..............Buckshot

NickSS
12-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Try S&S firemarms as they have lots of trapdoor sights and perhaps you can pick up an original to replace the blade and ladder you are missing.

StrawHat
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I am currently working on an 1870 Trapdoor in 50-70. It's a project rifle and among other things the rear ladder sight is broken. I'm looking for ideas for a replacement rear sight that is elevation and windage adjustable. I will be shortening the barrel and relocating the front sight as well. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would like to use the original rear sight base and install a different rear sight that I could make fit. I'm also thinking about replacing the front sight as well, but not so sure I want to dovetail something in since the barrel walls aren't very thick.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a rear sight to replace the one on the barrel or are you considering a tang sight?

school of mines
12-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I am planning on replacing the rear sight. The idea of a tang sight has merit though! I also thought of a windage adjustable front sight, but didn't want to dovetail one in.

Don McDowell
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Jeffs's outfitters dot com has a cheap springfield sight that is more or less correct for that rifle and is windage adjustable.

KCSO
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
A tang sight can easily be inletted and scraped in just behind the tang on a trapdoor. I had a T/C tang sight on my hunting trapdoor for years and had no problems. Otherwise with buckhorn trapdoor sight 1873?79? is windage adjustable. The last option if you want to keep it looking right is to use and old Marbles dovetail base and then slide in a buckhorn sight from Track of the Wolf.