PDA

View Full Version : First Cast Bullet Deer

Tazman1602
12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey All,

Don't have any pics because, well, I left the blasted camera at home. Today we went hunting with muzzleloader, my partner and I (wife). It was her turn to get something if we saw anything and neither of us had shot anything with a muzzie before.

We had been out practicing with the muzzie a week ago when she mentioned "can't that thing shoot some of those bullets you spend hours on end making?". I almost fell over.

I use saboted loads in my 20 year old Knight and happened to have some Lee TL430 265gr bullets all lubed and gas checked. I know I didn't need the GC but they were already on and lubed. They shot EXTREMELY well in that gun.

Tonight, she got a nice spike buck with that bullet I cast and it's not only the first buck we've gotten with a Muzzie (long story, I've had them for 20 years........) but it was the first buck with one of MY cast bullets. Went all the way through both lungs and dropped it dead within 20 yards! NOT the hydrostatic shock we see with Barnes X bullets at 3000fps out of our .243's during gun season but it did the job just as well.

...........then it took us two hours to showshoe the dang thing out..........nothing wrong with our hearts I'm guessing...........

Thanks Cast Boolits!

Art

crabo
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Very cool. A lot of good firsts including using some of those boolits you spend hours on.

RugerFan
12-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Good job! That first CB kill is definitely a thrill.

jandbn
12-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Art,

Tell your wife congrats and good on you with a first buck using your "home made" boolits. Sounds like the snowshoes came in handy with the two feet of snow you had up there!

Tazman1602
12-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Art,

Tell your wife congrats and good on you with a first buck using your "home made" boolits. Sounds like the snowshoes came in handy with the two feet of snow you had up there!

Oh God and my back is feeling every inch of that snow this morning........................<GRIN>

Thanks guys!

Art

Blammer
12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Nice shooting! Love the comment by your wife!

Made you up and use them boolits huh?

Cheaper shooting from now on!

Tazman1602
12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice shooting! Love the comment by your wife!

Made you up and use them boolits huh?

Cheaper shooting from now on!

Hell Blammer I've been USING them for years.......just not to HUNT with.

Then during regular rifle season I took my copy of Elmer Keiths Sixguns book out with me and read what he had to say again about cast bullets and bullet design vs. hunting.

I've shot them for a long time in my handguns but only recently have begun to use them in my rifles and, ahem, the, ah, big bore portion of my rifle collection seems to be growing along with my mold collection. Don't know WHY it never occured to me to use the dang things for hunting until wife up and said that to me.

........guess there's a reason we've been married 29 years in Jan..

Interesting thing was she made a perfect shot, in one of his lungs and out the other side. Made about a quarter size hole going in and about a half dollar, silver dollar size hole going out. Totally destroyed the lungs and he dropped within 50 yards. Bullet was not heat treated or water dropped and was somewhere around 50/50 ww/linotype. I'm going to have to chronograph that load when spring hits to find out how fast I was driving it and I'd give my left n.......little toe to find it so I could see what expansion did or did not occur.

Now the thing I find REALLY interesting is even though the bullet left two large holes and did it's job and killed the deer, unlike the high speed .243 Barnes X bullets I shoot during regular rifle season there was NOT a lot of meat ruined.

I'm slow, but I'm learning.............thanks for the comment. Hell I didn't even shoot the dam thing but I'm almost as proud as if I had because I made the bullet!!!!

Art

helice
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Art,
Solomon said that a man who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Sounds to me that you have a good one. Cherish her, take her hunting again and bring along that Lee boolit. Wow! 29 years! Out here in California that's a world record.

NHlever
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
And Za Za Gabore said that no man is complete until he marries, and after he marries he is finished. Yes, but I agree that a good wife, and especially one that likes sharing the things you enjoy is a real treasure. Hard to find in this day, and age.

Tazman1602
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
And Za Za Gabore said that no man is complete until he marries, and after he marries he is finished. Yes, but I agree that a good wife, and especially one that likes sharing the things you enjoy is a real treasure. Hard to find in this day, and age.

Za Za is full of poopy. My wife is a pioneer. She helps with wood for the furnace, and everything woods related.

There's NO amount of money that could entice me to marry Za Za, and my wife is beautiful too...................and one tough "rymes with rich" girl...........no ya' cant' see the spike, they're 3.75" and it was DARK when I took the pic.....................

Art

Rich Girl (http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/Deer/BeautyQueen.jpg)

Tazman1602
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Art,
Solomon said that a man who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Sounds to me that you have a good one. Cherish her, take her hunting again and bring along that Lee boolit. Wow! 29 years! Out here in California that's a world record.

Not a bible guy but I've read it. Soloman was right. 29 years is a taken here bro'. We love one another. The point of my life is to die in defense of her. She would do the same for me. I don't only take her hunting, I take her EVERYWHERE.............we are ONE.

Art

TCLouis
12-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Tazman

You are a Lucky and Blessed man indeed!!

NHlever
12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Didn't mean to upset anyone, it was just something on the light side of life to mention. I had a great marriage for 30 years before losing my wife, and I understand more than many what you all are saying.

Tazman1602
12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Didn't mean to upset anyone, it was just something on the light side of life to mention. I had a great marriage for 30 years before losing my wife, and I understand more than many what you all are saying.

Hey no offense taken NH and NOT upset. My wife's pet name for me is the expletive for "rectum" and I don't mind a bit. It's a term of endearment coming from her. Don't know what I'd do if I lost her, too painful to even think about.

Besides, in this economy if you don't keep a sense of humor you're going to go CRAZY!!!

Art

Tazman1602
12-24-2009, 02:17 AM
That's a nice story, thanks for telling us about it, it warmed my heart to hear you speak so fondly of your wife. Merry Christmas, and enjoy those backstraps.

We did tonight man! And I am VERY fond of my bride of 29 years..........<GRIN.............besides, she's a better shot than I am...........I just work on her guns and reload her ammo........