PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight on Puma 92

bearcove
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
What do you guys think is best? I am a Marlin user first, I've had a Win 94 in 356 w/ a peep loved it but lost in a house fire. On my marlins I use a receiver peep but don't know what works on the 92 action. I think the Skinner sights that mount on the barrel may be too far forward. The tang sights seem to be an option.

OPINIONS Please.

Thank you Rod

timkelley
12-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I have two Puma 92s with Williams receiver sights and one other with a Taurus tang sight and all three shoot very well.

KCSO
12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I just put a Williams receiver peep on a Rossi 44 mag today. The sight required drilling and tapping tow 6-48 holes. The sight works just fine althought it is marked 94-336. I will try an post pictures tomorrow. This in combination with a folding rear sight makes a nice hunting rig for the 44 mag and is for some folks a little easier to use than a tang sight, not to mention a whole lot cheaper. The tang sights can be installed on the Rossi's and will require drilling and tapping the front screw. The only problem i have found with the Rossi and a tang sight is that the tangs are sometimes a little off orund and the sight cants and either has to bo lapped in or shimmed to stand straight.

I do not recomment a peep on the barrel as then you lose all optical advantage of a self centering peep. Either a tang or the 94 Williams can be used as a ghost ring if needed. The advantage to the Williams is that it is more sturdy than a tang and there is no chance of firing with it partly folded on a follow up shot. If you can remember to keep the staff straight the tang is OK too. When you put the Williams on the Rossi remember to keep both screws to the front of the locking lug cut outs and debur the screw holes if you drill through. I drill to depth and then use a bottoming tap.

bearcove
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Sarge, how do the receiver sights mount on the puma? Drill and tap the side of receiver?

Thanks, Rod Reichert
SGT US Army

StarMetal
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I just put a Williams receiver peep on a Rossi 44 mag today. The sight required drilling and tapping tow 6-48 holes. The sight works just fine althought it is marked 94-336. I will try an post pictures tomorrow. This in combination with a folding rear sight makes a nice hunting rig for the 44 mag and is for some folks a little easier to use than a tang sight, not to mention a whole lot cheaper. The tang sights can be installed on the Rossi's and will require drilling and tapping the front screw. The only problem i have found with the Rossi and a tang sight is that the tangs are sometimes a little off orund and the sight cants and either has to bo lapped in or shimmed to stand straight.

I do not recomment a peep on the barrel as then you lose all optical advantage of a self centering peep. Either a tang or the 94 Williams can be used as a ghost ring if needed. The advantage to the Williams is that it is more sturdy than a tang and there is no chance of firing with it partly folded on a follow up shot. If you can remember to keep the staff straight the tang is OK too. When you put the Williams on the Rossi remember to keep both screws to the front of the locking lug cut outs and debur the screw holes if you drill through. I drill to depth and then use a bottoming tap.

Jim,

Back in the 80's I bought a new blued Puma 357. I too mounted a Williams sight on it. I had bought brand new drills and taps from Brownells at that same time. I will tell you, to date that has been among some of the hardest steel on a firearm I have ever drilled an tapped. Of course the usual's are like the Jap rifles for example and the Springfield surface hardening is hard to get through, but we know ways for that those huh Jim. I'm asking was this Puma you just done hard or even slightly hard?

Thanks
Joe

bearcove
12-12-2009, 10:40 PM
KCSO I agree that the Skinner type sights that replace the buckhorn standard sight are to far forward. I grew up shooting target 22 LR and the peep was touching my brow. A williams peep on a Win or Marlin is a good compromise. I Have never shot with a tang sight. It seems to compromise the grip on some rifles. I want to know about the Rossi Puma 92 with tang sights. I won't be shooting reduced loads, this is my bear protection gun I carry in Alaska on my boat and on the beach fishing.

Fishing Rod

Pepe Ray
12-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I hope this isn't a hijack'
Why do you advise keeping the mounting holes for a receiver sight on the Rossi M92 to be located forward of the locking bolt raceways?
This puts the eye piece too far forward, much like the bbl mounted sights.
Thanks for your input.
Pepe Ray

bearcove
12-12-2009, 11:21 PM
No Hijack this is what I want DISCUSSION

bearcove
12-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK!

Hanzerik
12-13-2009, 01:35 AM
I went with a Marble's Tang sight on my Short Rifle, and a Marble's Bullseye on my little 16" barreled gun.

http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Tang%20Sight.JPG
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Bullseye.JPG
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Bullseye%20Sight%20Picture.JPG

Buckshot
12-13-2009, 04:40 AM
...............Also see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=69585

.............Buckshot

Jacko.357
12-13-2009, 05:02 AM
I did not get on with the buckhorn sights on my 24" octagonal barrel Rossi .357 mag. I fitted a Skinner front blade and dovetail mounted peep and found it worked just fine , certainly a lot more accurate than the factory buckhorns .

About 6 months ago I fitted a Marbles folding rear sight and a Lyman Tang sight . The Tang sight required shimming to adjust windage which was easy enough . The Tang sight has improved my on target accuracy and consistency no end and out hunting it has been nothing short of a revelation . I am picking up a sight picture quicker than I thought possible and instinctive is the only word I can come up with to describe running shots at game .

When I bought the Lyman Tang sight I was a bit short of cash and impatient . If I had my time again I would have bought a Marbles Tang sight for it's windage adjustment . I would not have needed to use shims . My Rossi was drilled and tapped from the factory for a Tang sight and I had to buy the correct replacement Tang screw .

I have a Williams FP on my Marlin 1894 .44 mag , great sight but I do prefer the Rossi , it just handles better for me

regards Jacko

rbuck351
12-13-2009, 06:14 AM
My 92Puma had the safety. I took it off and made a replacement that I drilled and tapped 10/32 If I remember. Took the threaded part of a 10/32 bolt and brazed on a round piece of steel with a hole and put a jam nut on it and put the parts back where the safety was. You have to use the front sight for windage but I didn't have to move mine. The rear is adjustable in half turns for elevation and it seems to be fine enough. Any way, if you have a lathe, it is a simple project

Dogg
12-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Disagree with KSCO, I have Skinner barrel mounted peeps on 3 rifles and they center the front sight just as well as a rear mounted peep. Dr. Skinner even made them with longer bases which brought them back to right in front of the action. I changed out the peep assembly with a 1/2 Lyman which makes for a darker thicker ring. They are wayyyy faster to pull up and shoot than with a tang mounted sight especially if it is folded down.

pietro
12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
[I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK! ]

A Williams 5D-94AE or FP-94AE, a top-mounted sight which requires that 2 holes be D/T'd in the top of the receiver side rails/walls ILO on the left side as for a side-mount peep:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/th_DSCN0385.jpg

Or, if your M92 has the bolt safety:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/th_DSCN0409.jpg http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/th_DSCN0499.jpg

I made the bolt peep from a Skinner Lo-Pro, but one ready-made can be purchased from www.stevesgunz.com

xtratoy
12-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I looked all over http://www.stevesgunz.com/ site and couldn't find the safety replacement peep sight listed. Do you have to call on the phone to order one? Do you know what the price of it was?

Jacko.357
12-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Here's a link to a thread on Leverguns .com

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22047

regards Jacko

missionary5155
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Good evening
I have TANG sights & RECEIVER sights on lever guns & I am hard pressed to say which is best or faster for me. They both do the job very nicely. When I buy a lever action I install whichever sight it is drilled & tapped for as fast as I can get one.
As far as tang sights are concerned I prefer the Marbles tang sight with the windage adjustment over the Lyman.

snapthecat
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Where did you find a dovetail mounted peep sight for the Puma lever gun?
I need one.
Thanks
Oliver Holder

dagger dog
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
snapthecat, try stevesgunz.com, there may be something there you like.

HDS
04-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I have an FP 94/36 waiting to be installed on my Rossi.

I recently saw one from XS Sights that looked compact and interesting. The one from Steves guns is also nice looking and compact, though I wonder how accurate it is if there is any play in the bolt...?

pietro
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
A bolt peep is just as accurate as any other - which is a LOT more accurate than most shooters are able to tell the difference between.

If an M92 rifle has a bolt which can be moved when in battery, that rifle has other problems. Even my 1907 vintage Model 92's bolt has no discernable play.

BTW - Skinner now makes their LoPro peep sight with a 6-48 stem, making it a snap to either D/T the Rossi/Puma bolt top 6-48 on the bolt C/L atop the rear half of it, or file the bolt safety ears & bottom lug off before D/T the center of the safety plud 6-48 for the sight.

Every LoPro I've installed on an M92 zeroed within 5 shots, since it mounts directly above the FP, which is inline with the bore C/L.
On ONE of the rifles using the LoPro, the front sight required less than 1/16" side movement to adjust for windage zero - the other rifles were good to go as is.

olafhardt
04-26-2012, 04:13 AM
I think a little good epoxy might do the trick with a Williams.

Newtire
09-05-2018, 08:25 PM
I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK!
I ordered a Skinner barrel mount aperture sight after looking thru the sights on a shooting pal's new Ruger 9mm carbine. He also gave me a very simple solution to fitting the sight into the dovetail on the barrel. There is actually no need for any safe sided triangular file. Just sand off the bottom surface of the dovetail. As you sand away, the dovetailed area becomes smaller. i started out using a file but caved in and got out my Makita orbital sander. Made short work of it so take it easy. It works great. Better if you take out the aperture and just use the big hole as a ghost ring. I know this is an older thread but people looking for advice on how to do something don't really care about how old a thread is-doesn't make any difference really.226683

pietro
09-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Here's the scoop on Steve's offerings: https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10&zenid=buqq26tce4vnnrrpaod9utg5i3

indian joe
09-05-2018, 11:36 PM
For hunting go to the Williams Peep mounted on the action (thats if you can drill and tap the rossi action ok) I have one on a Browniig 348 and also on a Winchester 94.
Have Soule style tang sight on my 1876 and a sharps - they are strictly target sights tho. A tang sight will interfere with your hand grip if you get to hurrying shots.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Steve'sGunz site - look in store, click on picture - $59.95 for sight that fits into Safety hole

pietro
09-06-2018, 02:34 PM

My Rossi M-92:

https://i.imgur.com/z1sR2ALm.jpg https://i.imgur.com/U7F3Zabm.jpg

I mounted a Williams 5D receiver sight made for the Winchester 94AE (angle-eject, with factory mounting atop the rear receiver sidewalls).

I D/T'd a single 6-48 hole atop each receiver sidewall, then removed/plugged the bolt top lawyer safety so the bolt could pass at the lowest peep position (my self-made plug clears the peepsight by 1/16").

The rifle zeroed in 5 shots (100yds) using the issue front sight.

The receiver was the HARDEST receiver I've ever D/T'd.

Texas by God
09-06-2018, 05:17 PM
No pics but I went the ersatz route years ago on one by mounting a Williams 5D on the Right rear of the receiver and reversing the windage slide on top. It worked great and I concur on the hardness of the receiver!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TCLouis
09-07-2018, 12:01 AM
If the Puma rear sight is anything like the buckhorn on the Rossi 92 I wish anyone luck.
I could never get that sight to work for me so went with Marbles Tang.

gundownunder
09-08-2018, 07:32 AM
My rifles are Marlins. I use factory open sights on my 32-20 but I use Williams receiver sights on my 39A and my 357 cowboy, with Lyman 17 front sights. My brother has a Rossi 92 in 357 and one of the matches we shoot is CLAS, and under CLAS rules the sights have to be manufactured for that rifle. Rossi's are D & T for tang sights, but not receiver sights, so thats what we fitted to his rifle. A marbles tang at the rear and a Lyman 17 at the front. For precision type shooting, like 5 shots in 2 minutes, it works great, but for rapid fire lever action matches where we shoot 5 shots in 15 seconds he struggles a bit because the tang sight will flip back under recoil and he has to flick it forward after every shot. With the tang sight on a 24" barreled rifle you get about 30" of sight radius.
If this is a hunting rifle and it has the butt ugly wingnut on the bolt, I'd go with the StevezGunz replacement peep on the bolt, set for the range I like and be happy with that, but for competition shooting at ranges from 40 yds to 200 yds, like my brother and I do, I would go with something that gives lots of repeatable adjustments.

Brad Phillips
09-09-2018, 02:49 PM
I had a gunsmith drill and tap for a Marbles tang sight. Works awesome.