PDA

View Full Version : Buying lever guns

Marlin Junky
05-19-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm looking for suggestion on where to acquire quality lever guns on the internet?

Thanks,
MJ

Denver
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Marlin Junky]I'm looking for suggestion on where to acquire quality lever guns on the internet?

Thanks,
MJ[/QUOTE

Guns America, Gun Broker, Auction Arms, SASS Wire Classifieds, to name a few.

:Fire:

Ranch Dog
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I would suggest you contact Collector's Firearms (http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/) in Houston, TX. I wander through their shop and they literally have thousands of used rifles for sale. They generally have a rack dedicated to Marlin's and another to Winchesters. For instance, I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw a Glenfield 30GT that I'm now just kicking myself for not purchasing. That is a 18.5" barreled carbine with the straight stock (square lever) and ONLY made in 1979 and 1980. I wish somebody would buy it so that I'm not forced to the next time I'm through Houston!

The web listing has very few Marlins noted but a call might find what you are looking for. They do use GunBroker to list guns and I have bought from them via the internet. I bought a NIB Savage 170B chambered in 35 Rem. I consider this a rare find on an outstanding rifle!

Ranch Dog
05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I've also been in a store in San Antonio that had hundreds of Marlins. I cannot remember the name but may someone else will post it. When they understood that I was only going to buy a Marlin, they took me into a back vault that had only Marlins purchased from ranch and estate inventories. The fellow told me that they have so many that they just wholesale them out to other shops around the country. I was looking for big bores and unfortunately here in Texas they are just not popular.

6pt-sika
05-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I would suggest you contact Collector's Firearms (http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/) in Houston, TX. I wander through their shop and they literally have thousands of used rifles for sale. They generally have a rack dedicated to Marlin's and another to Winchesters. For instance, I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw a Glenfield 30GT that I'm now just kicking myself for not purchasing. That is a 18.5" barreled carbine with the straight stock (square lever) and ONLY made in 1979 and 1980. I wish somebody would buy it so that I'm not forced to the next time I'm through Houston!

The web listing has very few Marlins noted but a call might find what you are looking for. They do use GunBroker to list guns and I have bought from them via the internet. I bought a NIB Savage 170B chambered in 35 Rem. I consider this a rare find on an outstanding rifle!

Bought a pair of Marlin's from Collectors Firearms late last year . Got a 1893 in 30-30 that was made about 1910 and a 1894 32-20 that was made about 1906 .
They seem like a really nice group to do buisness with .

felix
05-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Beating Collectors Firearms (still on Fondren?) would be extremely difficult. They won't sell you something you did not expect. Prices have been slightly higher for their expertise than usual, but then their expertise is way above average. The owner was my next door neighbor in Houston. ... felix

Marlin Junky
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks,

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ looks like a good place for Winchesters. How about Marlins though? I'm not actually looking for "Antiques" but C&Rs... more specifically, post WW1 up to and including 1950.

MJ

6pt-sika
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I have three Marlin 336SC's , mine were made from 1950-1952 . One came from a shop in PA , one came from gunbroker and the other came from gunsamerica .

wills
05-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Beating Collectors Firearms (still on Fondren?) would be extremely difficult. They won't sell you something you did not expect. Prices have been slightly higher for their expertise than usual, but then their expertise is way above average. The owner was my next door neighbor in Houston. ... felix

Still there last time I looked.

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Marlin Junky , don't know what part the USA you are in . However when I was spending alot of time in NE PA I found little old gunshops all over the place. For some reason up there you could find a pile of old or older Marlin's. Think I got 5 or 6 when I was up there and saw quite a few others that I couldn't afford or didn't have cash at the time .
Got my 1893 in 32-40 from up there .:drinks:

meldrimgunsmith
06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I have a win 94 30 wcf made in 1950 that looks almost new, has older redfield peep sight,also have a 1976 marlin 94 with stright stock and square lever in 44 mag