PDA

View Full Version : Foot protection needed

ghh3rd
12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
After 56 years, I'm finally ready to do some hunting. I have a lot to learn, but do already know that I need something on my feet that will protect me from our Florida snakes. Keeping the feet dry would be desirable too.

I have spent much on the .44 Ruger, scope, molds, etc, and with Christmas around the corner, I have little left for my feet, but want to get started. Any suggestions on something that would offer some protection from fangs and water on the cheap, until I can get some decent boots?

Thanks,

Randy

45&30-30
12-12-2009, 01:29 AM
ghh3rd,

I spent two weeks, 20 years ago in the swamps of Florida at Elgin and I was using plain old Army jungle boots. Don't keep your feet dry, but If I was going back for fun I think hip or chest waders would be appropriate. Snakes and gators stayed out of the way, although they seemed like the least of my troubles. :D

T-Bird
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a pair of muck brand rubber/ neopreme boots. bought them this year, said I didn't want "rubber" boots 'till I tried them on. 100% waterproof, reasonably warm with the right socks. I paid $96 for mine. May not buy anymore lace up non cold weather boots again. I am also 56 yrs. old.Shoot Straight, T-Bird

docone31
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Look, if you are going into the swamps down here, just get some Corcorans. Military surplus.
You are going to trash them anyway. Why pay a lot for them.
Take some of the pan lube, wipe it into the boots. Get the tread boots. Make sure you wear them for a while before you take them hunting! Blisters are a source of infection.
With Milsurp boots, you have to order one size smaller than you wear.
Remember that.
The web sides I never liked. Too many memories.
They both wear out about the same rate.
Make sure you lube them well. Let them soak in in the sunlight. Then lube them some more.
Good stuff.

arcticbreeze
12-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello Randy

This is type I have.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1666
They are by Redwing Shoe Co. I am not sure whether to recommend them or not. If you are going to be walking allot, these are very comfortable. If you are walking through muddy swamp muck they are great. I have to say they are not exactly water proof though. I would call them water resistant. I was in standing water about 8-10" deep (the area my tree stand was in is flooded from the rain we had last week) continuously for almost a mile through a swamp. The water never went over the top of the boot but when I got back to the truck my socks were damp and so was the inside of the boots. I have walked through standing water in these boots many times but not sustained for that length of time. I also have an inexpensive pair of rubber boots from Wally World that are water proof but miserable to walk in for any length of time. None of them are perfect and for me I will take comfort over complete water proof as I tend to walk a good distance and normally do not encounter that much standing water.

jhalcott
12-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Breeze, is it possible the dampness was caused by your feet SWEATING in those boots?

arcticbreeze
12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Breeze, is it possible the dampness was caused by your feet SWEATING in those boots?

No, my socks were just short of being able to ring them out. Don't get me wrong I do sweat quite a bit when weather is mild here in FL but not that much. After inspecting the boots I think the waterproofing on the nylon/cordura materiel is just worn off. After hunting the areas I do they have to be hosed off with some pressure to get the swamp muck off. I am going to see if I can get some water proofing spray and retreat them.

This would be what I would normally encounter
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1667

This is what it looks like now
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1668

These are not my actual pics but perfect representations

jhalcott
12-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I bought a couple cans of "Camp Dry" spray to retreat my Redwings when I use them for a week or so in the wet. That really keeps the moisture out. I spray the ENTIRE out side of the boots,even the soles. They stink a bit according to the wife, but I leave them in a dry corner over night and in the morning they are good to go!

Flinchrock
12-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Looks just like my front yard,,I'm in new port richey also.

southpaw
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I remember when I started hunting (a blink of the eye for most of you) we would put bread bags or any plastic bag on out feet and then put them in the boot. Not much for keeping you warm but they would keep you dry. Maybe this would help with the Military surplus boots. Just a thought

Jerry Jr.

Halfbreed
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I worked on towboats for several years, we wore whatever boots fit good, weatherproof or not! then we wore seal skin socks, totally waterproof, with a compression style fit.
30 plus days on a boat are miserable with blisters, also moleskin works great for that too.
i am a big fan of surplus goods.
John

Multigunner
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
When its really wet and cold I wear my old work boots, they are thickly insulated and I kept them soaked with neatsfoot oil and paste waxed.
Only problem is they are too heavy for comfort after awhile.

I keep a pair of US Airforce survival kit mocasins handy in case I were to suffer an injury or to use as camp shoes.
These mocs are adjustable enough to cover a bandaged foot or ankle, and if feet swell up to much to fit back in a boot, the Mocs give to a usuable alternative. Haven't tried them in the wet, but I doubt they'd stay dry for long.

While helping a friend look for boots to go with sci fi film spacesuit props he was constructing I ran across a few sites with very nice Pacs of various designs, some would make good hunting footwear. They are meant for outdoor labor rather than sport, but were durable.

PS
My film maker friend actually owns one of the spacesuits from "Earth vs The Flying Saucers" thats a cool collectable, though in pretty degraded condition.