PDA

View Full Version : unfinished 1911 frames

dualsport
12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone tried these? I see you can buy castings that are 90% machined, but since not done are not "firearms" yet.

leftiye
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I was just asking Sarco if they had any of these. They didn't. Where are you seeing these? I haven't tried to finish one yet, but you really should find out what machining is unfinished, and determine for yourself that you can do the operations that need to be done. I once got an unfinished casting for an M1 carbine operating slide, and it came with the bolt travel slot unmachined - which I have no idea how to machine. Apparently the factory(s) machines them on a rotating holding fixture.

scrapcan
12-11-2009, 10:00 PM
one place that in the past sold castings was the Tannery Shop in Gering NE. I would be wiling to be he knows who has them now. He was deployed a number ofyears ago and KC Ordinance handled the unfinished parts while he was gone. I have not had a chance to talk to him since his first deployment.

you might also look up Roderus custom guns.

dualsport
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
If you go with Tannery, he sells Roderus goods, or at least did. The ad Roderus had shows a Very different product than what you get. Complaint department is closed, service dept. non existent. The Roderus 'frame' is nowhere close to 90%, it's a cool paperweight. There's an outfit in Texas, can't remember the name, that's good. Roderus is a deliberate scam, show you one thing, send you another. Phone # is bogus.

scrapcan
12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
dualsport,

Good to know. The only thing I know about roderus is they once had video and paper instructions available.

I went to the Tannery shop and met William some years ago and he seemed like a straight up guy, he was very adept with ar15 builds. I also bought a full set of 1911 prints while there.

dualsport
12-12-2009, 02:22 AM
I spoke to him too, he's aware of Roderus' deceptive advertising. If I can think of the name of the place in Texas I'll put it up here. One word of caution, know your state's laws on making your own gun. There's some issues defining what a manufacturer is with the feds too. Do your homework.

Geraldo
12-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Given the amount of fitting needed on a finished 1911 frame, 90% finished is probably leaving a lot of critical machine work undone.

The other issue is that to be legal, you will need to do paperwork for ATF as you will be the manufacturer.

jhrosier
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
...The other issue is that to be legal, you will need to do paperwork for ATF as you will be the manufacturer.

There are specific exemptions in the law for making a firearm for your own use.
If you do not sell the gun, no paperwork is needed.

Jack

EMC45
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
There are specific exemptions in the law for making a firearm for your own use.
If you do not sell the gun, no paperwork is needed.

Jack

You are quite correct Sir. They just want their taxes. If you keep it, you are golden!

eljefe
12-12-2009, 11:31 AM
One of my customers, who is a machinist, did one. It sounds like quite a bit of work for what you are saving over buying a finished receiver.

Of course, a finished receiver has a paper trail that the 90% project does not...

By the time that you finish the receiver and buy all the parts, you will spend more than many finished guns that are on the market.

We have built several guns from basket case guns that were traded in. That isn't too bad, but the money for quality parts can add up quickly.

leftiye
12-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Maybe easier to buy a gun citizen to citizen if your state doesn't prohibit that.

jhrosier
12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe easier to buy a gun citizen to citizen if your state doesn't prohibit that.
"Common Sense" gun laws are making that harder all of the time.
One might consider the possibilty of two or three strategicaly located, loaded .44 cap & ball revolvers. They are not federally regulated and are widely available by mail order most everywhere. I'm not suggesting that you do anything that might be unlawful in your state.

Jack

Super38
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a slide/frame project. It's been in the making for about a decade. I wished I would have had it made then because the cost is quite considerably higher now. It's a Foster (knock-off of Caspian.) It's still sitting in the safe in the same condition as when I bought it, bare.

Super38

KCSO
12-16-2009, 03:03 PM
If you don't own a good mill and tooling you need to pass on this one.

Super38
12-17-2009, 02:32 AM
I wonder if I'll ever finish that set.

Thing is, I want to shoot now, so I keep buying usable guns. Maybe once I retire and then I'll put that one together.

Super38