PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452374 225gn throwing 211-228gn

CSBubba
12-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi Guy,
I have been searching this site for a couple of hours. I apologize if this has been answered some where else.

I have the Lyman 452374 225gn Mold and a LEE TL356-124-2R 124gn RN.
'Casting up a storm and loading .45's and 9's and shooting around 500 rounds of the .45ACP and about 100 9's. No noticeable flaws grouping pretty good at 25yd and excellent (for me ) benching the guns. no case deformities, primer flattening, or case splits
Ok here where I came up with a concern. I purchased 2 digital scale and retired my manual powder scale due to eyes and fed up with it getting out of wack, I have gotten to the point of tracking and checking my reloads since building a pistol range and want to get back into shooting matches by spring. So I started checking my boolits on the .45 and it seems that I am throwing anywhere from 211gns to 228gn. Then checked my 9mm mold and it is throwing 108-118gn suppose to be 124gns boolits. This is using linotype and or WW. I even pulled out some pure lead I had for making 58cal minnie balls and still don't get correct weight. Scales have been verified with certified weights. I have over the last few days been adding a little WW to Linotype this started me up to between 222gn to 226gns an the average, straight linotype was low as is the WW's.
I have both quenched and air cool my castings and no real difference. So should I quit checking the grain weight of rounds, and keep using them as 225gn for the .45 and 124gn for the 9mm?

I flux with Paraffin, lube, and solder flux. I have no thermometer, but will be getting one, have adjusted the temp range up and down on pot. I have no Zinc WW they were removed in first melting of WW. I get no wrinkles after first two cast (either mold) and when a round gets frosty I switch and mold the other caliber.
I am really curious now that I have checked the grains of cast rounds. I have checked my other bullets that are commercial, FMJ and HP Hornady, Sierra, and some Sierra Lead rounds and they are on the money. A couple of tenths plus or minus wouldn't concern me even one grain wouldn't concern me but we are talking upwards of 10 grain differences here.
So am I missing something here or getting paranoid? I load at specification out of 4 manuals now, I have two Sierra manuals, and the last two (48 & 48) Lyman manuals and I have as of yet to bump any pressures.
Thanks an sorry a little rambling but been reading this screen all day and want to give as much information as possible to what I have been doing and doing. I am not loading anymore rounds till I figure out why the differences.
CS Bubba[smilie=s:

HORNET
12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
First, welcome to the fun of cast boolits, my favorite website.
Second, boolits rarely cast to the nominal weight listed by the manufacturer. There are tolerances involved as the tooling wears/ gets replaced that affect the cavity volume so 2 molds for the same design rarely cast exactly identical boolits. The main factor, however, is the alloy. Linotype will cast slightly larger but lighter boolits than WW and the nominal weight is usually specified based on some alloy that the manufacturer uses that you'll rarely match. Most casters will blend up the largest batches of alloy that they can to minimize the difference from one casting lot to the next, but a weight a few percent off from nominal is nothing to cause any serious concern.
BTW, general consensus on here is that using lino for the .45 is a waste of very valuable material. You might want to prowl around in the Lead & Lead Alloys forum that's down the main index page a little ways. LOTS of reading material there.

Cherokee
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Linotype cast lighter bullets. The less tin and antimony in the alloy, the heavier the bullet. Most pistol rounds, like the 45 ACP, do just fine with wheel weights with maybe 1% tin added. For the 45 ACP, cut the linotype with 2 lbs of pure lead. I use the same alloy for casting 9mm bullets. Mix your alloy in large batches so you don't have the large variations in bullet weight.