PDA

View Full Version : FOUND! WW treasure source...

Bucks Owin
05-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh happy day!

Found out that my friendly neighborhood old timey sporting goods store has several hundred (more like thousand?) lbs of old wheel weights out back in barrels. I asked the ol' boy how much and he says "oh, 10 or 15 cents a lb". (Then he gave me a 5 gal pail of them) Combine that with the free linotype that I get from a retired printer and I'm looking pretty good these days!

Never hurts to ask in an obvious place,

Dennis

Dale53
05-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Dennis;
If you are smart, you will IMMEDIATELY pick up as many as you can afford. I was offered several thousand pounds of linotype many years ago. I kept putting it off, and one day the owner traded the linotype for a truck. I have been kicking myself for years:( .

Dale53

454PB
05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Good for you!

Yes, grab em quick, people tend to talk after giving something away, and sometimes that can complicate things.

mofugly13
05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Good deal. I let my girlfriend know I was on the lookout for wheel weights, and she visited a friend who worked for a company who does mobile tire rpair/replacement. He unloaded his truck of all his wheelweights, and so did his co-workers. Got about 200#. Then a month or so later, I dropped her jeep off at Sears Auto Center for new tires. I noticed that outside the install bldg., all over the ground were scattered wheelweights. I filled my pockets with them. When it was time to pick up the Jeep, my GF sweet talked the head dude into handing over all the weights he had on hand, for free. I think I got about 700#. On top of this, I have about 2000# of pure lead at home that were from counterweights on a fume hood's that a local biotech company was getting rid of. I just gotta get ahold ofsome antimony, and I'll be back in biznizz!

omgb
05-19-2006, 02:44 AM
That pure lead is worth $$$ over on the BPCR blog. We mix it with tin to make 1/20 and 1/30 alloys. WW are worthless in BPCR but what you've got is almost as good as gold.

HTRN
05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
My last haul of wheel weights was over 200lbs from Sears, for free. I got lucky and said all the right things.

Something to note: Most of the big chains like Sears, Costco, etc will generally not give you wheel weights, they won't even sell them to you. They dispose of them through the company rather than through a scrap dealer.

Best bet is to get friendly with the local tire seller, and setup a deal where every time they have a full load, you go by and buy them whether you need it or not. Worst comes to worst, you sell it on Ebay.:mrgreen:

HTRN

Bucks Owin
05-19-2006, 03:44 PM
A 12 pack of Budweiser at quitting time can work wonders too! ;-)

Dennis

HTRN
05-20-2006, 02:49 AM
A 12 pack of Budweiser at quitting time can work wonders too! ;-)

Dennis

That works good at regular garages, but at the dedicated tire places, they generate so much scrap wheel weights, and they're getting so much for scrap these days(better than 10 cents a pound, and they'll pick it up!), that the booze bribe doesn't usually work.

HTRN

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 07:58 AM
I have a friend that owns a tire shop and he "GIVES" me all the WW's I want . However I've not asked for any in over a year and based on the price of scrap metal I think I'll go hit him up again . At present I have almost a ton , but it never hurts to get more [smilie=1:

Bucks Owin , if I were you I would ask the guy at the gunshop what he wants for the whole mess , it would most likely be cheaper that way :drinks:

fatnhappy
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
I had a 22 year old super hot coed student working for me 2 years ago. One day she mentioned she needed new rubber on her car and she owed me a favor.

Long story short, she put on a micro minnie for me and the guys at the tire shop gleefully loaded her car with WW's. 4 trips and 1800lbs worth. :drinks:

Bucks Owin
05-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I had a 22 year old super hot coed student working for me 2 years ago. One day she mentioned she needed new rubber on her car and she owed me a favor.

Long story short, she put on a micro minnie for me and the guys at the tire shop gleefully loaded her car with WW's. 4 trips and 1800lbs worth. :drinks:

Got any photos of the micro mini? [smilie=1:

Dennis
(lecherous old fart....) :-D

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Got any photos of the micro mini? [smilie=1:

Dennis
(lecherous old fart....) :-D

Preferably while it's on the coed [smilie=1:

fatnhappy
05-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Sadly, no.

[smilie=1:

BAGTIC
06-10-2006, 11:36 PM
It is my understanding that under current EPA regulations it is illegal to distribute scrap wheelweights to anyone but a licensed scrap dealer.

If you find a supply more power to you but I wouldn't be bragging about it too loud. No telling when some HCI sympathizing freak at EPA will be listening.

Bullshop
06-11-2006, 01:36 AM
It is my understanding that under current EPA regulations it is illegal to distribute scrap wheelweights to anyone but a licensed scrap dealer.

If you find a supply more power to you but I wouldn't be bragging about it too loud. No telling when some HCI sympathizing freak at EPA will be listening.
bagtic
I dont think so. To my knowledge there has never been any federal law placing lead on an epa has mat list. Some states have done it like cal. and col. but not fed law. If it was a fed has mat any time anything with lead was shipped it would require a has mat fee. If that were so you would no longer see $10.00 a brick 22's. Just think of how many times they were shipped before you shoot them. Most everything you see having anything to do with lead just has the king cook state warning stickers on it.
Maybe I am wrong but thats what I think. Seems the dogooders would have us believe it is near top on the list of most horoble substances on earth though. Guess they figured out what boolits/bullets are made of.
BIC/BS

felix
06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
3 bucks per 5 gal bucket will/should make any tire dealer happy, assuming at least 50 bucks per haul. I agree, we should not be talking about it much. ... felix