PDA

View Full Version : #4 mark 1 questions

autofix4u
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I stoped a gun shop I don't usually stop at on the way home tonight.( I know big mistake) They had a sporterized #4 mark 1 made in 1944 for $110, as I know absolutely nothing about Enfields, I thought I would ask you guys. the bore looked good, bright & shiney no pitts. I couldn't figure out how to get the bolt out to check the throut. It had the barrel shortend to about 21-22" and a wood sporter stock. it also has a Lyman peep site & front ramp with brass blade. So should I buy it of pass it up???????? Thanks,, Josh

beemer
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Their are two versions of the bolt release.

#4 Mk 1* has a cut out on the bolt rail just behond the chamber area. The bolt is backed out about 3/8 of an in. and the bolt head is turned up out of the cut out and withdrawn.

#4Mk 1 has a little catch behind the charging bridge. Push the catch down and draw back the bolt to the catch and turn the bolt head up and slide the bolt out.

If the rifle had the original rear sights they might have to be raised to clear the bolt.

Dave

Bloodman14
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
auto, I'd get it if I could. If you need load data for it , let me know; I'll see what I can do. PM me, if interested.

docone31
12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't pass it up.
I am real partial to Enfields.
Sounds like a winner.

dualsport
12-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Hard to go wrong with that deal. Buy it.