PDA

View Full Version : RCBS molds questions.

Changeling
12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I am interested in two molds:

RCBS 255 SWC " 82050"
RCBS 270 SWC "82092"

Can anyone tell me what they weigh out as in WW alloy?

Would really appreciate any information regarding them as well. To me they seem like the small and large of the same mold.

RobS
12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
The 255 is a very, very close Keith style design SWC and will weigh about 265 grains from WW.

The SAA-270 is also a Keith style design and will weigh in at about 280 grains.

I've had them both and they both shot well for me. RCBS molds are usually of good quality and if there are any problems RCBS customer service is very good at rectifying problems with their equipment, or at least that is my experience.

My SAA-270 casted out at .454 to .455 with WW and the 255 casted out at .455-.456.

Hope this helps you out.

Rob

jtaylor1960
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
My 270 SAA drops at about 280 grs.I have a 255 but have never used it.

fredj338
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
My 270 SAA drops at about 280 grs.I have a 255 but have never used it.
Yep, the 270 drops around 280gr, lubed & ready to shoot, 284-285gr. Great bullet for heavy 45colt loads.

Changeling
12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, now I know.

Whoops forgot something.

Would you happen to know the meplat size on these molds?

RobS
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
The 45-270-SAA is .3315 as best as I can read it and the 45-255-swc is .3250 or so.

Changeling
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
The 255 is a very, very close Keith style design SWC and will weigh about 265 grains from WW.

The SAA-270 is also a Keith style design and will weigh in at about 280 grains.

I've had them both and they both shot well for me. RCBS molds are usually of good quality and if there are any problems RCBS customer service is very good at rectifying problems with their equipment, or at least that is my experience.

My SAA-270 casted out at .454 to .455 with WW and the 255 casted out at .455-.456.

Hope this helps you out.

Rob

Rob I just had to come back and answer your post. What you said about the the two molds interested me very much. I really wanted a Keith 454424 mold the trouble is Lyman make it, I've had trouble with them and never intend to buy anything from them again.

So I started looking at all the molds made by the different manufactures and the two RCBS molds above looked more like Keith style to me than anything else I've seen. I have to say "Looked" because none of these manufactures have schematics of there molds so no one knows the dimensions unless someone on this web site happens to give them. Then on the other hand is there actually an existing schematic of Keiths molds, I've never been able to find them.

So I decided to get one of the RCBS molds, just wish they were made out of aluminum instead of cast iron.

fredj338
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Rob I just had to come back and answer your post. What you said about the the two molds interested me very much. I really wanted a Keith 454424 mold the trouble is Lyman make it, I've had trouble with them and never intend to buy anything from them again.

So I started looking at all the molds made by the different manufactures and the two RCBS molds above looked more like Keith style to me than anything else I've seen. I have to say "Looked" because none of these manufactures have schematics of there molds so no one knows the dimensions unless someone on this web site happens to give them. Then on the other hand is there actually an existing schematic of Keiths molds, I've never been able to find them.

So I decided to get one of the RCBS molds, just wish they were made out of aluminum instead of cast iron.
I just wish they made a 3 or 4cav. I have several RCBS mold & like the designs as well as the way they cast. Always good bullets from the first casting, durable, too, what's not to like?

RobS
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
My understanding, the supposed mythical true Keith style bullet is to have equal width drive bands, a long nose with large meplat, and a flat bottom lube groove (square as it is referred to although it is not completely a square lube groove). Anyway the RCBS 255 does have a full diameter front drive band although it is not quite equal in width to the others. It does have a large meplat and a very large flat bottom lube groove. I find that the larger lube groove vs other molds like the 454424 is a positive as it can be used for black powder.

The 45-270-SAA is almost there as the front drive band is a bit wider and matches the body band or close to it, but the base band is thicker than the other driving bands. This one too has the flat bottom lube groove and a large flat meplat.

Of the two I like the 255 as I believe because of the larger lube groove I could push the bullet harder (faster/more pressure) thus making it more of a forgivable bullet design in my reloading. Also the larger lube groove was nice when shooting the bullet down a barrel of a lever action rifle.

The real test to a Keith style bullet is long distance accuracy.........these both will do the job.

Rob

Changeling
12-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I just wish they made a 3 or 4cav. I have several RCBS mold & like the designs as well as the way they cast. Always good bullets from the first casting, durable, too, what's not to like?

Whats not to like, I don't have the slightest clue unless it's a lot easier to take care of I would think and people seem to like the aluminum molds. I've never cast my first bullet yet even though I have a LBT mold for my 44 Mag. A guy I worked with is into those black powder rifles like Shiloh I think, I know nothing about them. He was buying them like crazy for some kind of long range competition. I believe you are interested in the same kind of rifles.
Anyway, when I got the mold he asked if he could borrow it and I agreed if he cast me a few bullets WW. He cast me so many bullets I have never needed any till now (100 left). So there you have it, thats why you see all the questions.

Rob I see that you like to read like me. I've read those things before but you have put the important things in your post.
At this point I don't know witch 45 mold I'm going to get, there are some other factors that I am considering, plus, I know I'm going to get an LBT mold also so I have to think of witch one (weight) I want to come from where. Thanks for replying.