PDA

View Full Version : Storing of Powder

Turboman
12-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Just curious,How do you store your black powder?And how much do you usually keep on hand?
jeff

montana_charlie
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I live in a very dry climate, so rusting powder cans is not an issue for me.
I order BP in a lot of 25 pounds, and keep up to that amount in the crawl space under my house...where the temperature is a steady 50 degrees, year around.

CM

John Boy
12-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Outside storage shed: rain-snow-hot-cold ... don't matter as long as the tops of the cans are screwed down. Have DuPont and Meteor powders there, vintage 1958-1962 and 1973. They all ignite with good velocities

jerrold
12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I keep what is left of a case in the original box on a high shelf in the shootin shed and a couple down at a convenient height to the reload bench. Usually reorder when I get down to a couple pounds.:coffeecom

Southern Son
12-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Mine is in an old sheet steel locker in my reloading room. The locker is kind of frail, only held together with pop rivets so if a fire starts in the house it won't really become a bomb.

Lead Fred
12-12-2009, 04:52 AM
I store the cans in a wood box sealed with a latch, just like the law says.

Store it in a closet, dark & dry

August
12-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I store a case (=<25#) in the original hazmat box inside a wooden chest in a climate controlled part of the house.

Crash_Corrigan
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a built in closet with shelves and a glass door in which resides most of my powders, cast boolits, GC's, loaded ammo, M-1 enbloc clips and other smaller loading stuff.

I keep the primers in steel ammo cans in a locked wooden box kept in a locked garden shed alongside the house during the cool months. When it gets hot {May to October} the same box resides in my bathtub.

It makes a dandy seat when I am finished with my shower and I want to dry my feet off.

I do not advertise to any of my neighbors that I reload ammo nor do I every even think of telling them that I keep blackpowder, smokeless powder or primers in the house. I live in a thin skinned mobile home and I keep 95% of my firearms offsite in a Canon safe in my ex's garage.

What they do not know cannot hurt me.