PDA

View Full Version : The Best Mould?

chemist308
12-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I am currenty 100% Lee in casting and reloading. Wait, I take that back. I do own one RCBS die and bullet puller. Everything else is Lee. But that is only because it's what I can afford. So far, I like the Lee presses, dies, melter and mold. But there is better stuff out there.

With gun owners fearing for their rights more than ever, I got to thinking about the durability of my equipment. Do I think everything I own would last me the rest of my life? Well, no. So, if you were buying a bullet mould that would have to last you the rest of your life, and could not be replaced, who would make it? Would you be handing it down?

Buckshot
12-10-2009, 02:49 AM
..............That would be any iron or steel mould, so Lyman, RCBS, or Saeco for the mainstream makers.

.............Buckshot

fredj338
12-10-2009, 03:30 AM
..............That would be any iron or steel mould, so Lyman, RCBS, or Saeco for the mainstream makers.

.............Buckshot

I agree. Aluminum molds are just too easy to damage, especially the cheap aluminum alloy Lee uses, very soft. A good 3 or 4cav iron mold will produce a ton of bullets & last forever w/ just a little care.

Blammer
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
OWBM or NOE, brass or GOOD alum will last a life time.

or the steel ones by the others such as lyman, RCBS, etc..

beagle
12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Find a good, used H & G mould of your choosing and properly taken care of, it will last forever./beagle

rob45
12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
brass or GOOD alum will last a life time.

or the steel ones by the others such as lyman, RCBS, etc..

Blammer has made an excellent point. Quality aluminum presents no difficulties.
For that matter, quality issues can be discussed irregardless of the material being used.

I have (unknowingly at that time) abused molds made from any of the popular materials, leading me to believe that much of the issue at hand concerns not only the mold manufacturer and material selected, but also the proper use and care of the product.

AZ-Stew
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Generally, I'd agree with Buckshot and Beagle, but I have at least one (maybe several) Lee low-end single and 2-cav aluminum moulds that are 35+ years old and still work fine. They aren't used daily, but they will last if, as rob45 says, you take care of them. Abuse a custom $150 iron mould and it won't last a week. Take care of a $20 aluminum mould and it will last for decades.

Regards,

Stew

mpmarty
12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I've got RCBS and old Lyman Ideal molds that have been used for decades and I expect they will last far beyond my lifetime. My LEE six cavity molds are in constant use and show no signs of wearing in or out. I treat my tools well and they serve me well. The best dog will bite if mistreated.

Bradley
12-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I really like SAECO moulds!

Mk42gunner
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree with Beagle, find the Hensley & Gibbs mold that looks good to you. I believe that Ballisticast bought out H&G; but I haven't used any of their molds.

I picked up a four cavity H&G #256 for $40.00 at a tractor show, of all places. Now I need to find a 41 Magnum.

Robert

12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
The best within the mass produced/ one size fits all category-- a tie between an old Ideal and a current RCBS. The best semi custom I have are by Mountain Molds. The worst by far are the 2 Lee molds I own.... but hey, they'd be just as bad at half the price, and then they'd be a real bargain. :)

mooman76
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I agree with Az-stew. I also have Lee moulds that are very old and have seen allot of use. With care like most tools they will last a long long time. If you have some favorite Lee moulds just buy and extra of each and set them aside. You can buy 3 Lees for the price of and Lyman or RCBS and aluminum don't rust. I'm not nocking the other moulds because I have Lyman and RCBS too and even a couple old ideal moulds. Point is take care of your stuff and you'll have it for probably your lifetime.

HeavyMetal
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Iron rusts, aluminum can be damaged, brass can also be abused.

It isn't the material as much as it is the type of care given any precision product.

It doesn't matter if you buy a Yugo or a Rolls Royce: never change the oil and you will have trouble!

I will suggest that you think about how you plan to take care of and transport said "survival" mold. The care you can give it is more important than what it's made out of!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

MtGun44
12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
If harsh climate storage conditions may be a part of the puzzle, then aluminum has
an advantage over iron molds. I have seen significant numbers of iron molds (used ones
that I have purchased) with signs of user damage. I also have one Lee 2 cav that I bought
in 1971 that still casts fine quality boolits. I don't like the results I have gotten with that
design, but the mold is fine - although it has not had a lot of use over that time.
Seems like a 6 banger Lee would be a good investment because they are better designed
than the 2 cav molds (alignment pins, sprue cutter handle) and for a given number of
bullets cast over time there would be only 1/3 as many open-dump-close- pour cycles on the
mold.
I do like RCBS molds a lot, and they seem to show much less inadvertent damage than Ideal
or Lyman molds, in my experience they hold sharp edges much better.

Bill

mustanggt
12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I have Lee, Saeco, Lyman, Mountain Moulds and Buffalo Arms. Most of my Lee moulds cast good bullets. Saeco casts an exellent bullet. Lyman is just ok because they are really out of round. Mountain Moulds are as outstanding as you can get. Everyone of them casts within .001 on all dimensions. Dan does a great job. Buffalo Arms makes an outstanding mould for my blackpowder rifles as well. It also drops within .001. I have RCBS for most of my reloading equipment but have not gotten one of their moulds. Kinda strange since I have had such a great experience with them.

Bob Krack
12-13-2009, 03:14 AM
I have absolutely no argument with anything said here.

Aluminum moulds work the best for me.

I've also had good experience with RCBS, Ohaus, and Ideal.

Lyman have always been as bad as having a hernia or the current government.

My experience does not include Saeco, NEI, LBT, or others. Lee have been very good to me for the money.

Many of you have seen other pictures. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bob

Jack Stanley
12-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I tend to favor H&G and LBT as a general rule , of them I have never had an issue . I have had good results with older RCBS and even had a very nice Ohaus once ( wish I had it back ) . I have some older Lyman and one old Ideal that work well but the newer stuff they make I would put in a class less to be desired . I also have a couple old LEE round ball moulds , when I use them they work fine for what they are .

Jack