PDA

View Full Version : CarbineTree locking mold handles

AbitNutz
12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone seen or used this?

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

This shows the new locking mould holder. It produces better bullets by giving consistent pressure holding the mould. Over a long casting session your hand pressure can vary slightly which causes bullet weight variation. All most 100% of users say they are getting better bullets with less hand problems.

It seems like a good idea...is there only one wooden handle? Wouldn't it get hot?

kingstrider
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM

This shows the new locking mould holder. It produces better bullets by giving consistent pressure holding the mould. Over a long casting session your hand pressure can vary slightly which causes bullet weight variation. All most 100% of users say they are getting better bullets with less hand problems.

It seems like a good idea...is there only one wooden handle? Wouldn't it get hot?

I saw the same thing on buffaloarms and think it would be a neat toy but I doubt it would be any faster or better than what I'm already using. Plus I can buy several sets of regular handles for the same amount and run different molds to get a pile of bullets instead.

Edubya
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Buffaloarms does not ship for free. I doubt that they would be less expensive by the time that you got it. And, Cabintree does help keep our forum going, he's a sponsor.
I've looked at these a number of times and have considered them but can't justify 'em. I have no problem holding my 2 cavity moulds together and have never had more than 1% variation in any moulds (I own thirteen SAECO and RCBS moulds).
EW

AbitNutz
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
CarbineTree is clearly a smart guy but wouldn't you think the locking handle would get awfully hot? There is no wood to insulate it. It must not, else-wise no one would buy it. Perhaps he expects you to wear a glove...I know I should but I never do...

Dale53
12-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Jim Borton, one of the top Schuetzen Benchrest shooters of all time, touted me on to the Cabine tree handles. I bought a set for my Custom Single cavity Borton-Darr bullet mould. It DOES work. The bullets are more uniform and when you have a ½ minute rifle, it DOES make a positive difference.

It is somewhat slower in use and I don't use it for pistol bullets, but I sure did use it for my Schuetzen rifle.

I had a really nice, but somewhat used, mould for a two cavity H&G #503 Keith bullet and it needed to be held closed firmly. The Cabine Tree handles worked well for that little task, also.

Dale53

Doc Highwall
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a set of and they have one purpose, to make the most uniform boolits by eliminating variations in the closing/clamping pressure that causes sizes/weight variations through a casting session. If you want to make the best Boolits use these. If you want to just make lead projectiles any set of handles will do. This is the kind of accuracy I am trying to improve on.

EDK
12-10-2009, 11:31 PM
There's a set of them on my Steve Brooks mould...and another on my Kalynuik. I got them from Gussy at Quigley. Good product from a friend and forum member.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

tonyb
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
A pair sold here on this forum for $40.

Buckshot
12-11-2009, 04:28 AM

...........The mould heat radiates away long before causing any problem with heat in the metal locking handle. I'd bet $5 you could put a propane torch on the mould block leg and turn the end red hot without making the metal locking handle uncomfortable.

.............Buckshot