PDA

View Full Version : NEI vs RCBS 45 molds

Changeling
12-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Somewhat confused as to what exactly these two molds cast in WW. It appears to me that WW is heaver than say Lyman "2. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Feel free to express your feelings and/or findings on these molds.

RCBS 255-SWC

RCBS 270-SWC

NEI 265-451K

From what I have been able to figure out, if you are casting in WW you have to be familiar with the mold because the numbers really don't mean anything.
I expected this type information from the manufacturers but they don't get that involved with there products, it's a gun thing!!!!!!!

Thanks to all.

mellonhead
12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I have the RCBS 45-270-SAA and it casts about 278-280 grains with WW's. I have the RCBS 45-255-SWC on the way and the guy I bought it from said that it casts right at 260 grains with WW's. I have no experience with the NEI stuff.

Toby

Char-Gar
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
A bullet cast from WW will indeed be a little heavier than the same bullets cast from No. 2. WW has more lead per volumn that No. 2. Das the diff.

P.S. My 45-270-SSA (RCBS) casts bullets that weight 282 from wheelweight metal.

PPS. I see no point in hollowpointing that bullet. Unless you cast it butter soft, if most likely won't expand much at normal 45 Colt speeds. Just let that big old flat point bullet do it's thing

Changeling
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys, I have had recommendations on both these molds (RCBS) but I just wanted to be sure. Now that I have read more since the post I no longer am interested in the NEI molds.

I was thinking of getting the 45 270-SWC and having it hollow pointed but I'm not sure of what I'm doing yet, simplest way to put it! Just thinking.