PDA

View Full Version : Hard bullet soft nose?

Will
05-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm told working a water drop or heat treated bullet will soften it. Would it be possible to create a hard bullet with a soft nose by working only the nose? such as filing a flat on a pointed bullet or working the point over with rough steel wool. Could you place then in a shallow pan of water and heat the nose with a torch?
Any ideas?
Will

JudgeBAC
05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Will: Go to the Beartooth Bullets website and look under resource center then under tips and comments and you will find an article on soft nose bullets where they state that the nose of hardened bullets can be softened by using a torch. I have not tried this yet but it does sound intriguing.
Good luck.

buck1
05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I think someone here tryed it a wile back,said it worked.....Buck

KevMT
05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm told working a water drop or heat treated bullet will soften it. Would it be possible to create a hard bullet with a soft nose by working only the nose? such as filing a flat on a pointed bullet or working the point over with rough steel wool. Could you place then in a shallow pan of water and heat the nose with a torch?
Any ideas?
Will

Here's an article from Paco Kelly that contains info on de-tempering boolit noses.

Scroll down to where it says "A Paco Secret"

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/small_charges.htm