PDA

View Full Version : How practical is the Bowie Knife?

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Any Bowie knife fans here?

I was wondering how many folks use them for hunting and camping? I was fortunate enough to buy 45nut Ken's Western large bowie awhile back, and I have planned on using it for outings up here in the woods.

Does it fill the need for a hatchet as well as a cooking knife? Or do they just look cool.

I read they are banned in some states? ..:shock: Probably could ad CA to the list. When they come to get me, they'll probably take my bowie too ..:mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a 7.5" buck, and I don't like it. It is just to long.

Bret4207
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Most I've seen are just too big and thick. I'll take a 3-4" blade (think Kabar "Little Fin") and a light ax or 'hawk and do quite well.

Bullshop Junior
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Mine is about 1" thick.

It is for sale/trade if you are interested. Sharp too!

Glen
12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
For an all-round hunting knife, I don't want anything longer than a 4" blade and the Loveless drop-point hunter design is virtually perfect in my eyes. For a general purpose camp knife (that may be called upon for light chopping) I don't see any need for anything larger than a Kabar, which does the job very well (just ask the USMC). If I need a knife, I'll use a knife. If I need a machete, I'll use a machete. If somebody else wants to use a Bowie knife for these jobs, more power to them, but I doubt that I'll ever own one.

Bullshop Junior
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I cheap bayonet works good for chopping.

yondering
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I like to have a small 3"-4" knife and a big blade (machete or kukri). In between knives like a Bowie are too much of a compromise; they can do it all, but don't do any of it very well.

I really do like the kukri sold by Ka-Bar. It functions both as a short machete, and as a hatchet. It chops trees and limbs very well; I carry one when I ride, in case there are fallen trees in the trail.

Larry Gibson
12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Pat

I don't think the "Bowie" was designed with hunting in mind. It was designed back in the days of single shot rifles, pistols and swords with a lot of up close and personal contact sport involving a lot of slicing, hacking and chopping going on. It is a fighting knife pure and simple, basicaly a "snub-nosed" sword. For that purpose of slicing through clothes and flesh it does very well. The general large handguard and thick back of the blade make it good for parying a sword thrust. The long sharp point is excellent for deep pentrating thrusts. As a "hunting" knife it is a duck out of water. A good Bowie can serve as a light hatchet or for for utilitarian camp duties like slicing steaks or bacon though. Mine is hanging on the wall over my loading bench and makes a good conversation piece, which is about all the use I get out of it.

Larry Gibson

Bert2368
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
"It must be long enough to use as a sword, sharp enough to use as a razor, wide enough to use as a paddle, and heavy enough to use as a hatchet."
-Russell T. Johnson

If you don't have to kill Indians, protect your clan's honor and finish off wounded bears, I would go with a smaller knife. For dressing game and general utility, 3 - 4" is all I seem to need. I like a puukko style, there are some nice really cheap Swedish utility knives with laminated steel blades I've used as well. http://gearjunkie.com/gear-review-mora-knives

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't use a "bowie" for a camp knife, but I do use a variant. The CAMILLUS pilots survival knife is a bowie of sorts and in my very humble opinion about the best all around camp knife you can ask for.

Regards,
Everett

1874Sharps
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Larry,

You are right about the Bowie knife. I have seen a Bowie knife in the Alamo museum on display (as y'all may recall, Jim Bowie died fighting there at the Alamo). It was a honker and it had a brass U-shaped channel along the spine of the blade opposite the cutting edge. That brass strip was used to parry and catch the blade of the opponent, as the cutting edge would dig into the soft brass. I have read that a man would hold the knife with the with the blade up and the back edge down in such a fight so that when raised, the spine was nearest the opponent. I certainly cannot swear to that, though.

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I should have been more specific-

I meant for a camp utility knife on hunting trips- cutting meat, hatchet use, etc. trying to use the bowie instead of having to bring a hatchet etc., to save on weight.

I've got various other knives for hunting and dressing- one of my favorites is a buck folder with drop point, saw, and gut hook all in one.

I have a 70's vintage #120 BUCK- the long black one that you may be talking about JR, and I really like to use it in the kitchen to cut up meats.

This Western Bowie really has a nice balance, and is not all that heavy. It's thickness is .170, and the BUCK #120 is .175 in thickness.

I'll just have to give it a try and go chop on somebody.

Limey
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Guy's,

I'm a ''kife-olic'' so I am really enjoying this thread....but......it'd be a lot better with pictures to show size, design and different styles of knife...

...then there is blade material....traditional carbon steel, stainless, damascus....what's best in your view and why?....

....and what about sharpening and maintenance....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this thread grows with lots of great input

.....and please don't forget to include your tomahawk/hatchet info as well!

Safe shooting

Limey

2ndAmendmentNut
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I am not sure what your knife looks like. I see all sorts of knives that get called “Bowie knives.” They are cool. As far as practical uses, I can’t really think of one unless you want to get into and win a knife fight.

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Mines like this one. OAL is 14 3/4". OAL sheath length is 18 1/2". No matter how you slice it, it's a nice knife.

My Sheath is different. Has larger WESTERN print in a different font. Clasp is on the handle as well. Nicer than the one in the pic.

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 05:16 PM
My Large BUCK is like this one. Bought it when I was a kid. Will hold an edge for a long time. Good knife for cutting salmon steaks too when I was allowed to fish for salmon .. :roll:

OAL is 12 1/8". My sheath again is different from this one.

felix
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Don' t even think about laughing, even in silence. These are the best knives, bar none, that I have ever used around the house. Got the idea from the bread using companies, typical franchises you all know about especially the "eat fresh" one. http://www.fixwell.com/sharptip.html

Look around their web page and there might be one suitable for "field" dressing. Their steel is second to none and my cheapies will cut paper after cutting through aluminium nails. In fact, I have to wait for one to dull big time before cutting out grapefruit sections.

... felix

I just looked. They don't have any other types over here any more. They are German, and probably got into marketing conflicts with other companies over here. ... felix

Bret4207
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
If I want a fighting knife I'll take my Kabar. It's too big for hunting uses or camp use.

I don't think a bowie wpuld work any better.

StarMetal
12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
If I want a fighting knife I'll take my Kabar. It's too big for hunting uses or camp use.

I don't think a bowie wpuld work any better.

Hard to beat a Kabar. I have a brand new unissued one from the Navy in WWII.

Joe

357maximum
12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
How practical is the bowie knife?---about as practical as going stream trout fishing in a tugboat.

I carry a little old timer in my pocket (I have fully field dressed whitetail with it a few times...and I split the pelvis with my knives).

I carry a rubber handled buck vanguard for whitetail gutting purposes (again i split the pelvis with it)

If and when I need a bowie knife I will grab a cleaver/hatchet/machete or a 38snubbie.

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Don' t even think about laughing, even in silence... felix

Reminds me of that "Crocodile Dundee" movie..."You call that a knife?" as he pulls out my Bowie..:mrgreen:

dubber123
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I have one of the Gerber Bowies they used to sell with the 9-1/2" blade. I think I cut my finger with it once, about all the use I have gotten out of it so far...

I picked up a few of the old Marbles fixed blade knives a few years ago, now those are a nice piece of craftsmanship. I think 6" is the longest of them all.

gon2shoot
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Pat, I use a Bowie (simuliar to yours) when camping. Heavy work goes to heavy knives, I also have lighter and smaller knives depending on what I'm doing.

I also carry a 22 when carrying a 45-70 for the same reason. Put the knife to work and see what it's handy for.

45nut
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/knives/100_0385.jpg

that is the knife I sold Pat.

waksupi
12-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Big knives are good for camp chores, but lack a bit for hunting. I have used big knives for the purpose, but a smaller one is always handier. I generally carry a Camillus double blade Trapper, lock back for my main cutting tool when hunting.

Here is an original Hudson's Bay camp knife I have in my collection.

leadeye
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I have one of those big cold steel bowies I got at an auction with a box of other stuff some time ago. It works as an all purpose tool in my truck. It has chopped, dug, cut and hammered. Probably not the best treatment for a knife but it was cheap and it always sharpens up. :-)

Blacksmith
12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Felix
Here is a link to other style Alfi knives. It was on the U.S distributers website.

http://www.alfi.com/alfi_forged_knives.html

Blacksmith

Gerry N.
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I own a pile of knives. The ones that get used are, in order:
Swiss Army Tinker
Russel Green River Camp Knife
Old Hickory 3 1/2" Paring Knife
Rapala 6" Filet Knife
Marble's Bird and Trout Knife
Buck 102 Small Game Knife

Gerry N.

peter nap
12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
The Bowies are interesting knive, but not much good for anything but fighting. I've tried using them and keep going back three old favorites.

I carry an Old Timer stockman pocket knife everywhere

When I hunt I also carry an Old Nesmuck I made years ago
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/knife.jpg

If I need to chop I carry a very small Gransfors hatchet.

BruceB
12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Practical, y'all say?

I have zillions of "practical" knives, mostly of very high quality, and they serve me well. However, when Cold Steel brought out their Bowie, I immediately told my wife I wanted one. Why? Who cares? She gave me one for Christmas that year. I enjoy the feel and the appearance of this knife, mine being the carbon-steel and Kraton model. It holds its edge very well, and for extreme use this beast will still be ready for duty when lesser knives have given up the ghost.

I've put it to use on occasion, especially in the country near timberline in the NWT, where the wood is extremely small. For making firewood in that area, I like it better than a hatchet.

I had my shoemaker relocate the belt loop on the sheath, so that the top of the loop is now at the top of the sheath. This puts the hilt up in my short ribs, but I can usually find a comfy spot for the knife. This makes it MUCH less cumbersome to carry.

On top of all this, the knife has "presence", just like some rifles I own. I can't describe "presence", but I dad-gummed recognize it when I see it. My new-condition #4 , for example, has "presence", and so does my M1A. Same for this wonderful knife.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Now you have come to the issue. The Bowie is a fighting knife, A camp axe is a camp axe. A skinning knife is a skinning knife. Do you want a Bowie in a leather sheath on your belt in a tree stand, or on a slippery trail? BvT

PatMarlin
12-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for posting that pic Ken. Now isn't that a good lookin' Bowie?

I would not strap it on for hunting. But- I have 2 Rokon trail bikes that I want to restore someday, and pull a little game trailer with one with camp gear in it, so my wife and I, or a friend and I can do some overnight hunting on the trail.

That's what I figured the Bowie would be good for- camp and kitchen chores, but light weight and multi uses with one knife.

I would strap it on while riding, but in camp for sure.

45&30-30
12-10-2009, 02:57 AM
I have always been fascinated with the Bowie knife and its history. The examples shown are excellent but I have never found a need for one which has prevented me from buying one. Although I came close several times with the Cold Steel Bowie.

I use a Schrade SC503 to gut and quarter deer and I've used it on elk, I never felt under knifed. It's single folding four inch drop point blade is thin and can be sharpened quick in the field with a few passes on a draw through sharpener/hone and keeps the edge well. I would prefer one of 1095 steel but as this one is still servicable after 20 years I stay with it. I suppose nostalgia has something to do with it. A present from my brother on my first leave from the Army during Christmas and carried on adventures in a couple of countries and state side.

I considered changing to a larger knife a while back until I ran in to an excellent book, Fifty years a hunter and trapper; experiences and observations of E. N. Woodcock, the noted hunter and trapper. Free Download and a treat to read (http://www.archive.org/details/fiftyyearshunter00woodiala).) On page 120 he notes, "A good strong pocket knife is all that I have found necessary, though one should have more than one knife no matter what kind he may use." I forgot about the second part maybe it's time for another folder. :D I also carry a smiss army knife along with it, never know when you might need to open a bottle of Merlot. ;) Or tighten up a screw.

After reading Woodcraft by George Washington Sears (Nessmuk) I was really interested in his knife but again couldn't find a niche for it the axe or folder wouldn't take care of. By the way nice work peter nap. It is a fine example of his original design. :drinks:

Lead Fred
12-10-2009, 03:40 AM
I carry have two. My camp knife and all around beater is a Rambo 3.

My pig (and other things) sticker is a repop of Bowies first knife design.

Made by Searles of LA.

Its a fighting knife.

http://www.imperialgiftline.com/knife_sets/IP-203a.jpg

dualsport
12-10-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for posting that pic Ken. Now isn't that a good lookin' Bowie?

I would not strap it on for hunting. But- I have 2 Rokon trail bikes that I want to restore someday, and pull a little game trailer with one with camp gear in it, so my wife and I, or a friend and I can do some overnight hunting on the trail.

That's what I figured the Bowie would be good for- camp and kitchen chores, but light weight and multi uses with one knife.

I would strap it on while riding, but in camp for sure.

The knife is cool as hell. End of story. You can't have too many good knives. BUT, the thing that blew my skirt up was the Rokon camping trip idea. You don't think I go by 'dualsport' for nothin', do ya?! I have two, a Kawasaki KLR 650 and a smaller Yamaha XT 350 in beautiful shape. I'm trying to finagle (sp?) a deal on a Honda 650 dualsport bike and I have dreamed of owning a Rokon for decades. Go for it Pat, motorcycle camping is great and can go well with shooting cast bullets if you work it right. Dualsport's law #1: You can't have too many guns, knives, or motorcycles. My current fantasy involves cruising the dirt backroads of Nevada on my KLR with a rifle in the scabbard, a bunch of homemade ammo, a pistol on my belt(I have a Nev, CCW), and who knows, maybe my Buck Bowie on the belt too. Lookin' for hostiles, adventure, treasure, and damsels in distress. OK, I took a breath, my take along rough duty backwoods knife is an old USAF survival knife made by Camillus, it's tough as nails and a little handier than the Kabar.

PatMarlin
12-10-2009, 09:48 AM
BUT, the thing that blew my skirt up was the Rokon camping trip idea.

Well that's better than blowin' smoke somewhere else ....:mrgreen:

Maybe we think alike cause I was born and raised in Sacramento and a confirmed river rat ...

:redneck: :cbpour::holysheep

MT Gianni
12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Go for it Pat, motorcycle camping is great and can go well with shooting cast bullets if you work it right. Dualsport's law #1: You can't have too many guns, knives, or motorcycles. My current fantasy involves cruising the dirt backroads of Nevada on my KLR with a rifle in the scabbard, a bunch of homemade ammo, a pistol on my belt(I have a Nev, CCW), and who knows, maybe my Buck Bowie on the belt too. Lookin' for hostiles, adventure, treasure, and damsels in distress. OK, I took a breath, my take along rough duty backwoods knife is an old USAF survival knife made by Camillus, it's tough as nails and a little handier than the Kabar.

I'd ride and shoot with both of ya. DR650.

dualsport
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
River rat?!! OMG, I grew up IN the American River. My first ever real book was "Two Little Savages", read over and over. Everyday possible was spent roaming up and down the river, just being wild boys. Now it's a very long county park. Funny how we end up on the same road like this, and I'm sure so many others here. I've been led to believe there's guys who wouldn't be interested in Bowie knifes or cast bullets, strange, isn't it? What's wrong with them guys? I have to fight the urge to add to my knife collection, don't make no sense, does it? I have a running competition with my son for who has the longest knife, he's winning. The rule is it has to be a knife, not machete, bayonet, etc. EDIT; MG, there's been times when I wished I got the DR, but I got a sweet deal on the KLR. I've rode hell out of ot, it's indestructable. Rode the LA to Vegas last year with junior, on the stretch from Barstow to Vegas (125 mi. of rock and sand) I crashed 5 times. Me and the bike were beat up bad. I was wishing I had something lighter.

Reverend Recoil
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
A good fighting knife is one that will end the fight with one cut. There are two knives that will do that better than most; the Bowie and the kukri. The kukri is better at choping but the Bowie is better at stabbing and with a sharpend clip will back cut. For three years I carried a Bowie knife and a Spiderco in Iraq. Those two handled every cutting chore quite well. While I was there I got a kukri knife from one of the Ghurkas. Either one will do in a pinch. While I was there I noticed that the Arabs feared more of being cut than of being shot.

Char-Gar
12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Larry is 100% Correct. The Bowie, the Arkansas Toothpick and other large knives from the time of Jim Bowie were weapons pure and simple. This was before the revolver and if a man carried a pistol it was a single shot, perhaps a pair. When the one or two shots were fired the man was defensless. Unless of course, he had a Bowie or other like knife. It was always loaded and never ran out of ammo.

A Bowie anything near the original size is about worthless as a hunting or camp knife. A knife has an edge ground for cutting and slicing. Such an edge doesn't do well choping nor will it hold up well under such use.

I once saw a letter written by Bo Randall in the 50's to a customer who complained that one of his knives chiped while chopping some fire wood. Randall was terse to say the least and said a knife was not an ax, and it the fellow wanted to use one as such, let him know and he would grind a blade for that use, but he wouldn't replace a knife a fool used as an ax.

The Bowie is long on the cool effect, but not worth much as either a tool or a weapon these days. We have learned allot about the design of fighting knives and have much better blades for that purpose these days.

DLCTEX
12-19-2009, 01:35 AM
A bowie just has class, never owned one, but will make one when I retire (soon I hope). As for hunting, I like my Gerber with a gut hook (which gut hook works best of the 7 or 8 I've tried.

Reverend Recoil
12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
There are knives that are specialized for every use. A good Bowie knife can do most anything a smaller knife can do and many things a smaller knife cannot do. No other knife beats a good Bowie knife for personal defense. In Iraq I was limited to the quantity and type of gear I could carry. I needed one knife that could work well for every occasion. I chose the Bowie. Good Bowie knives are hard to find and are expensive. For chopping through bone the blade length should be at least 9 1/2" but no longer than 11 1/2". The edge should be flat ground, 3/8" thick at the guard and tapered to the point. This is best done by hand forging. The handle should also be tapered from the guard to the butt. The knife must have a sharpened clip to be considered a real Bowie.

There are two styles of Bowie knives; defense/fighting and outdoor sporting/survival.
The defense/fighting Bowies tend to have longer and narrower blades with straight handles. They are light and quick handling. The outdoor sporting/survival Bowies have broader blades with downward curving handles. They are powerful for chopping through joints when butchering large animals. The Bowie replaced the tomahawk in this regard.

Bowie knives are sheathed with a sheath covering the only the blade with a brass frog. They are carried under the belt or down the pants for concealment.

If you are interested in how these knives should be used for defense then and now, check out the techniques of Western saber fencing and the Roman's use of the gladius short sword. A good Bowie will work well with a combination of those two techniques.

Pray you never have to defend yourself with a knife. It is serious deadly business. It is one of the most revolting things that humans may do to each other. Long after the fight is over the legal and emotional baggage will hang over your head the rest of your life. Regardless of any weapon or fighting style, the best personal defense system is awareness and avoidance. Awareness and avoidance alone will keep you alive 99% of the time in any of the places you may travel.

PatMarlin
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
... the best personal defense system is awareness and avoidance. Awareness and avoidance alone will keep you alive 99% of the time in any of the places you may travel.

That's some good advise. Always being aware of my surroundings has kept me out of a lot of trouble.

SethD
12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Using a bowie as a hunting knife these days I look at a lot like using a muzzleloader. Not the most practical or modern choice, it takes a little different set of skills to use either effectively, but both are classic tools and a lot of fun. If your used to a small knife for your hunting chores at first a bowie will feel like a sword and you will wonder how how you will ever skin anything with it. You will probably muddle your way through a couple of animals that would have been a whole lot easier to skin and butcher if you had used your smaller knives. If you don't give up in disgust and choose to stick with it long enough to get used to it you will find it actually is usable. I wouldn't recommend carrying one as a hunting knife though unless you find them fascinating and don't mind endless joking from your buddies. ;-)

Thumbcocker
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I once read a discription of the Bowie knife as "the indiginious American short sword".

Heavy lead
12-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Pat,
I have a Western Bowie as you have, bought it in the mid 80's and haven't used it much, but I don't my Ruger 77 416 Rigby either, but what a nice piece of steel. I won't part with it, keep it clean and oiled and someday maybe use it. I have a Gerber machete I find quite usefull for many camp chores and use it for that, but it doesn't carry nearly as well as the bowie.
For my game knife I have used and will continue a Japan made Browning with a swept blade, saw blade and gut blade and find it's 4.25" folded length just right for such use, bought that some 25 years ago too. I have many other hunting knives I never use just keep to keep, I find myself using fillet knives a lot and actually keep two Uncle Henry Steelhead and one Case fillet knife in the kitchen (my wife prefers these too) and we use them on everything from veggies to all sorts of carving chore.
By the way, if you are a fan of the old Schrade knives, don't waste your money on the new junk ones made in China, they are junk the "new" Uncle Henry Steelhead is a piece of junk, I bought one with high hopes and have already thrown it away with disgust as the first time I used it, it bent.

dualsport
12-20-2009, 04:46 AM
OK, that's it. I want pictures. As far as truly useful goes, I like a Buck Skinner, a small Rapala filet knife(unbelieveably sharp), and a little Swiss butcher's hatchet I got from an Archery store. I gotta learn how to post a picture, you'll like my knife collection. Somehow I can't see myself reaching way up in there to cut the trachea with my Bowie, but I'm sure I could. I'm sorry to say that although I've studied on it for decades I've never really mastered knife sharpening. I want everything razor sharp. Any ideas? What do you do?

Reverend Recoil
12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
For knife shapening I use Spiderco bench stones. I have both a fine and ultra-fine hone. The fine hone gets the most use. Honing a knife is not hard. I suggest you practice with some cheap kitchen knives. Start by forming a good edge with a caborundum stone and finish it with a soft Arkansaw hone. Keep at it by sharpening every knife in the house. You will get it.

dualsport
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I've got a collection of stones. I'm wondering if maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I judge sharp compared to my Rapala filet knives, which are truly just long razor blades. I can get a edge which will shave a little hair off my arm, just not like the Rapala. An example would be a Buck Special, the #110. It shaves hair, but will not get any sharper. Is it unrealistic to expect it to ever be as sharp as something like the Rapala? Maybe I'm being obsessive?

softpoint
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
A good fighting knife is one that will end the fight with one cut. There are two knives that will do that better than most; the Bowie and the kukri. The kukri is better at choping but the Bowie is better at stabbing and with a sharpend clip will back cut. For three years I carried a Bowie knife and a Spiderco in Iraq. Those two handled every cutting chore quite well. While I was there I got a kukri knife from one of the Ghurkas. Either one will do in a pinch. While I was there I noticed that the Arabs feared more of being cut than of being shot.

Another good fighter. This one with SanMai III steel, which is a hard inner core sandwiched between two softer steels. 12 inch blade, you can tell the point will penetrate by looking at it! Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel almost cut a side of beef into with one slash. And it isn't good for anything else. Probably one of the most single purpose designs ever made.

PatMarlin
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Be a good sushi knife ...:Fire:

Multigunner
12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I made a fairly nice double edge dagger using a section cut from a very old chainsaw bar, nice springy steel.
I have some of that steel left and may make a bowie knife next.

If you choke up on the blade you can weild the tip like a smaller blade for close in work, but its not as efficient as a smaller knife. But then again you can't chop down a small tree with a pocket knife or skinner.

The Kabar is a militarized version of the Marble hunting knife, a smaller version of the bowie with refinements like its ferule.

Were I to go on a Friday the Thirteenth rampage I have two large Meat scimitars, given me by a butcher for resurfacing and sharpening a few of his older knives.
These are super hard steel, but too brittle for use in the field.
They take a razor edge and are big enough to cut a torso in half much less take off an arm or a head.

For camp work I use a century old Corn knife, a sort of squared tip machette. Its an excellent chopper. I have a similar sized short machette but its not as efficient as the Corn knife.

pilot
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I like this little Bark River for deer skinning.

http://pilot1.smugmug.com/photos/722888622_HxPc3-M.jpg

Dale53
12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I have long used a Western Cutlery bowie identical to Pat Marlin's picture in place of a hand axe for building blinds (I don't like heights so portable tree stands are OUT for me). I much prefer ground blinds and sometimes it is necessary to cut a shooting path to a scrape when sitting on the ground. The bowie pictured just does a better job than a hand axe.

I use a 4" drop point knife (generally a good folding hunter type but have used fixed blade dropped points to good effect) for cleaning game from rabbits up to and including deer.

FWIW
Dale53

Freebore
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey pilot, nice rack! It is pretty difficult to skin and flesh out a deer skull and that is definatly work for a small knife.

Von Gruff
01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
These are three of my favourites and depends what I am doing which one gets to be used. The big campknife I made nearly 20 years ago and it has seen a lot of use in and out of camp even to butchering and dressing quite a few animals. The hunter, I have just finished and have not blooded yet but hope to in the next few weeks, while the little bunny knife has seen to many, many rabbits since I finished it 6 mnts ago. Bowies are not in the picture simply because The shape is not apropriate for my needs.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/knives002-1.jpg

Von Gruff.

danroy
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Any Bowie knife fans here?

I was wondering how many folks use them for hunting and camping? I was fortunate enough to buy 45nut Ken's Western large bowie awhile back, and I have planned on using it for outings up here in the woods.

Does it fill the need for a hatchet as well as a cooking knife? Or do they just look cool.

I read they are banned in some states? ..:shock: Probably could ad CA to the list. When they come to get me, they'll probably take my bowie too ..:mrgreen:

Bowie knife fan here! I personally use them for hunting and camping as well. It's pretty useful so you should go and get yourself one...if it's not banned in your state that is.

45 2.1
02-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I've got a collection of stones. I'm wondering if maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I judge sharp compared to my Rapala filet knives, which are truly just long razor blades. I can get a edge which will shave a little hair off my arm, just not like the Rapala. An example would be a Buck Special, the #110. It shaves hair, but will not get any sharper. Is it unrealistic to expect it to ever be as sharp as something like the Rapala? Maybe I'm being obsessive?

Get yourself an old fashioned razor hone like was used 100 years ago. The old soapstone variety. That will put the final touch to your sharpening and make the Rapala second best. Better than the black hard arkansas stone. They can be quite difficult to find.

PatMarlin
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Here's mine again.

I can't wait until I can get some time to restore a couple of Rokons I got here and go camping this spring. Gonna take the bowie and put it to use instead of just looking pretty.

We live in the mountains right on the border of the national forest, and I've wanted to build a couple sleek little trailers for camping gear to pull and head out for overnighters.

Be ready for some great deer hunting adventures this spring. There are deers up here that die of old age in the outback. No one tries to get to em'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/knives/100_0385.jpg

that is the knife I sold Pat.

PatMarlin
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
This is kinda what my two Rokon Trailbreakers look like now, but they are both "Honda-kons" with Honda engine retrofits:

http://www.patmarlins.com/hondakon_to_be_1.2.jpg

This is what I want them to look like when I get done:

http://www.patmarlins.com/hondakon.jpg

scrapcan
02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Pat

Where did you find the Rokons and how much did you have to give. I rode one many years agoa nd that i snot a bike it is a two wheel tractor. They are loads of fun. The four stroke engine was easy to work on also. I would like to have one to play with.

Dale53
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
As I said, above, I use the Western Bowie in place of a hand axe for building blinds and cutting shooting lanes. It is a dandy (I carry it in my day pack).

However, after the shot is fired, then the work begins. I prefer a small knive for that sort of work. Here are several I have collected over the years:

This one is a custom, hand forged knife by "Billy Watson" - he has had a booth at the NMLRA Matches at Friendship, In for years. The price is MOST reasonable and the design is VERY practical.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesKnives2-2010Selects-3155.jpg

This one is Randall's "Trout and Bird" knife - an elegant classic:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesKnives2-2010Selects-3168.jpg

A truly sweet little knife by Hendryx;

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesKnives2-2010Selects-3166.jpg

For practical field use, the sheath is important too. I much prefer this style:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesKnives2-2010Selects-3167.jpg

I have others but don't wish to overwhelm you with too many pictures.

Dale53

PatMarlin
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Pat

Where did you find the Rokons and how much did you have to give. I rode one many years agoa nd that i snot a bike it is a two wheel tractor. They are loads of fun. The four stroke engine was easy to work on also. I would like to have one to play with.

They will pull over 3000 lbs ...:mrgreen:

I bought the first one from a guy for $300. Not running, but all there with a honda 90 on it. The second one I paid $1200 for with a Honda 110 "Lifan" chinese knock off brand- running. The guy was going to throw in other stuff, but I lost contact with him.

Either way it was a steal of a deal on both bikes. Good running Rokons are pricey, but come up sometimes on places like craigs list.

I bought another Lifan, as I heard they were good and the machining looks good on them. It runs like a champ. Anyway I bought another new 110cc from a dealer off of eBay for near $300 I think about 2 years ago. It's sitting in the box waiting for me to install it.

I want to tear both bikes down to the frame, paint and put them together like the one pictured with the Honda seat and tank. Fun stuff.

They don't go fast, but will go where a quad will give up and go home. And they do it safely.

Dale53
02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Pat Marlin;
Those pictures of the Rokons sure bring the memories back. I raced dirt bikes for ten years (mostly cross country races and enduros with a few Hare Scrambles and Scrambles races thrown in). I also did a lot of cross country "touring" in rough mountain country. I just flat LOVED motorcyles. My all time favorite was my Bultaco Sherpa T. That bike would go ANYWHERE!! I climbed hills that were unclimbable with that little darling. The only maintenance it required was changing the oil and an occasional spark plug. It was dern near bullet proof!!

Thanks for the memories...

Dale53

PatMarlin
02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Those bultacos where beasts. My dad wouldn't let me have a bike when I was a kid. Probably good thing, as I would have gone crazy with it.

Neighbor kid had a Sacs. I don't know what size it was, but it was a spitfire of a dirt bike.

I need 2 seats and tanks from a Honda ATC. The one pictured is off of a 85 ATC 110.

JesterGrin_1
02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Pat here you go. :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130365130243

I rode one when I was a kid in the early 70's I think around 74 or so. But I did like my Husky 250WR better lol. Hey I was a kid lol Zoom Zoom

But I have to say I had no idea that they would be worth as much as they are going for.

Lead Fred
02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Dang I raced Hodaka Super Rats until I was big enough for a Elsinore.
It was a real sphere breaker.

But I never carried a bowie knife on one

JesterGrin_1
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
lol Hodaka I used to ride my freinds Toad lol. And do you remember what a Honda Elsinore 125 works bike cost when new back when they came out?

The Honda Elsinore 125 and 250 was THE motocross bike of the day and one could get a race prep honda which was a works bike for dang where is the drum roll lol. $595.oo. I will never forget that number as my Father Grumbled that he could get a new truck for less than $2000.oo and he could work in it lol.

What is funny to me is that the track times from then till now have not got all that much faster and yet there engines have twice the HP and less weight along with almost 3 times the amount of shock travel. Which means to me is that one can only go as fast as the area they are in. :)

PatMarlin
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
What cooler topic than trail bikes and bowie knives ...Hah?

.........:mrgreen:

Four Fingers of Death
02-27-2010, 11:41 PM
When afield I use a drop point folder and carry a Green River clone (a CVA kit knife I made in the early 70s). They get most of the work done in camp and when I have grassed an animal.

Whe I shoot cowboy, I wear a lovely big bowie with sambar grips. Purely for show, but it is a nice knife! I also have a karBar.

Now if I was going to use a knife to fight/hunt those nasty two legged devils, it would be a toss up between the KarBar and the bowie. The Kar Bar would be better to retain when covered in blood I suppose, but the Big Bad Asses shiny Bowie would look good doing the deed!

Huntsman
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I`ve always admired the Puma Bowie but a little pricey IMO. I almost bought one on ebay but lost the bid.
Maybe someday I`ll pick one up..maybe. In the mean time I`ll use the Bowie/Trapper/Mountain Man that I just built. I used a beautiful whitetail deer shed (6 points) that I found years ago for the handle and an older USMC Fighting knife (Camillus New York USA) that I found in the Army training area where I spent quite a few weeks/months. I figure some poor sap dropped it years ago as the leather handle had shrunk and hardened over time. I then got myself a piece of brass which I hand fit and polished for the hilt. She`s nicely balanced and all she needs now is a nice leather sheath. I`d post pics but my server wont alow me to. I could however send them by email to someone if they wish.
Cheers All,

Baron von Trollwhack
03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
My Puma Bowie is a nice knife. BUT, the antler handle gets slippery when your hand gets bloody, as in deer cleaning. THe sharpness wears off quickly touching on bone, and the blade takes lots of work to sharpen with stones. It is heavy enough to break most whitetail legs anywhere with the partially sharpened recurve though. For a long time ,I've used and prefer a simple Green River with a cross hatch handle for deer work, but you can break one down completely with a 3" plastic handle Schrade if you want to.. I keep it ready now just in case of domestic, close, terrorism, if the Colt is out of boolits.

BvT

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, IMHO, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slightly cool on the wall, but --------- only slightly!!

Friend, who by the way is an animal, logger by trade, one tough feller, was getting ready to head for Alaska for a Brown Bear hunt.

Now, Lennie goes prepared!

So, wanted to pack a handgun along with his .338 AND THAT HUGE Bowie knife.

His Desert Eagle is not relyable, so he packed my 5.5" Redhawk with my 310gr LBTs in .44 cal, the .338 and yep, that trailor knife.

Like I said, one tough dude. He didn't say how much the trailor slowed him down in the woods [smilie=l: but there wasn't any talking him out of it.

He was prepared!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

JesterGrin_1
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
The only knife I would call a Bowie that I have is the Cold Steel Trailmaster. :)

bmanis
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I usually carry a Kabar with a folding saw, or I will carry a smaller 3.5" with a hatchet. It appears it is just personal preference. The weight pretty much just evens out.

Brandon

Maine1
06-22-2010, 03:12 AM
well.....

There are "bowie knives" and then there are REAL bowie knives.

Those that say they are useless, too big, can't be carried concealed, not useful for hunting/camp chores, ect, need to get ahold of the latter. A good bowie is very light and fast in the hand, and at the same time can deliver a very powerful blow. its deft enough in the hand to be used to whittle any useful camp widget you want to make, as well as cut poles and stakes, point them and then drive them in. There is a FAR CRY between a K bar, or similar fixed blade, and a bowie. A large knife does not a bowie make.

Recoil was right! go back and read his posts, i bet he has a Bagwell IWB right now.

Most people today sell the large knife short as we do not learn to use them in a general sense anymore, not having the agrarian base we used to. With regards to the Bowie, this was partial brought about by legislation. legislation was brought about as the bowie was, at the time, refined and perfected, and used very well, so much so that the legislatures of many states forbid its use/carry/sale/manufacture. Thus led to the knife and knowledge of it fading away, and the general opinion that a k-bar is a bowie, and that the big knife is the mark of the tenderfoot...and other BS.

Just like anything else, things that people say you cannot do (carry a bowie, use it as a smaller knife,deftly, conceal it) you try, and find you can. I'm sure there are people out there saying that cast HP bullets do not expand...and that they cannot be made at home as it takes industrial equipment to melt lead, and only fools try to do so. I do not define my world by limitations.

If i was limited to ONE tool to carry for everything, i want a bowie, and i want to make it my self so i can be assured its done right. Back up that bowie with a 4" or so utility knife, and there is not much you CAN'T do out in the woods, i know from experience. You have to learn to use your tool, but its really alot of fun with the bowie. Are there better tools for SPECIFIC jobs? YUP, there are. i have cut logs of 12" with a bowie, takes about 12 minutes. Faster with an axe or a chainsaw, but i can't carry and conceal either an axe or my husquvarna under my shirt, use it to pick my teeth, whittle a stick (exception for the axe), or backcut an adversary. The bowie will do ALL of these things, with style and balls, if its weilder has the skills and balls to match. For backpacking modern style, well the SAK will be a better choice for most people. For people who want to be ready for anything, bring a bowie, and a good pistol.

In case its not clear, i am a HUGE bowie fan, and became one thru USE and practical aplication. Once i get a few finishd i'll see if i can post a few pics. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

jhalcott
06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
well, I use a large knife similar to a Bowie for making a blind in a hurry when hunting. It's handier than a hatchet in MY opinion. It is part of a 3 blade set custom made by a local smith.The other 2 are incrementally smaller. A 4 1/2" and a short caper about 2" long. all with sheaths made to fit. I COULD use the"BOWIE" as a weapon against bears IF it was a last ditch affair. The Whelen works much better at a distance though!

fatnhappy
06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
If I want a fighting knife I'll take my Kabar.

I'll take a rifle thank you very much.

I can't conceive of a reason I'd ever need a bowie knife.

waksupi
06-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I'll take a rifle thank you very much.

I can't conceive of a reason I'd ever need a bowie knife.

What if you wanted to slice up a Bowie real thin for sandwiches? And then there is always the mayonnaise question....

JesterGrin_1
06-23-2010, 01:02 AM
As with anything else a Bowie knife is just a tool. So depending on ones situation is or what one can expect determines there choice of tools needed if chosen wisely.

Suo Gan
06-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Whe I shoot cowboy, I wear a lovely big bowie with sambar grips. Purely for show, but it is a nice knife!

My stereotypes are holding true! The one about all Aussies wearing BIG bowie knives that is.

fatnhappy
06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
What if you wanted to slice up a Bowie real thin for sandwiches? And then there is always the mayonnaise question....

Mayo comes in squeeze jars now Ric. Is it possible that 21st century development hasn't reached Montana yet?

Oh BTW soap comes in squeeze jars too.

reloader28
06-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Only had time to read 1/2 the posts, but had to add my $.02

I used a bowie type for years hunting and never really had a complaint. Two years ago I thought it was time for a new knife a got a Kershaw. Love it, but it just aint the same and I almost feel naked without the big one.

You can never have too many knives no matter if they have a purpose or not.

I got a folding pocket knife with two 9 1/2" blades. Folded up it is 11" long and darn near 3" across. Takes a pretty big pocket, but you should see peoples faces when you pull it out.:shock::shock::shock:

Worth every pound of it.

PatMarlin
06-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Make sure you get the real "Wide Mouth" jar.

PatMarlin
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
I got a folding pocket knife with two 9 1/2" blades. Folded up it is 11" long and darn near 3" across. Takes a pretty big pocket, but you should see peoples faces when you pull it out.:shock::shock::shock:

Worth every pound of it.

Like to see a pic of that one.

Beerd
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Is it possible that 21st century development hasn't reached Montana yet?

Boy, wouldn't that be nice.
But time marches on and I'm kinda learning to like this internet foofaraw.
I'm not so sure about squeeze bottles.

reloader28
06-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Here are the knife pixs. 22" long, about 2 1/2" across. Folded up is 12" long.
About 2 1/2 lbs

45nut
06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/knives/100_1756.jpg

That is a knife I made to replace the Bowie I sold to Pat, old butcher knife I reconfigured. Recycled ..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/knives/103_1800.jpg

That is a short sword I made from a old leaf spring for more serious use.

PatMarlin
06-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Here are the knife pixs. 22" long, about 2 1/2" across. Folded up is 12" long.
About 2 1/2 lbs

So I guess that wouldn't pass airport security huh? . ...:mrgreen:

PatMarlin
06-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Some nice steel work Ken. You go a permit for them things? ...:mrgreen:

missionary5155
07-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Good morning
And another factor.. just how do you get to the CAMP...
I am a kayak traveler.. when I get the chance up there in the state of ILL. or the other surrounding meandering liquid highways. Weight and space is the issue to me. Plus plain old packability with easy access. I use one of them 35 pound plastic kayaks. Total recommended weight is about 220. So my 158 pounds, cloths and gear has to be carefully thought out.
A hachet is just to big. A hawk is not bad but a thick bladed bowie (Kabar or Gerber) are easier to store and do not add any weight. Add a blade smacker and it will cut as well as a hawk. I always have a 4" Gerber Easy Out on my body so the two covered all my needs. That is until one day on North Fork an agressive Saint Bernard decided maybe a kayak would be a nice play toy on a shalow area. Fortunatly he entered the water while I was still a bit upstream and blew his ambush. I can paddle in reverse real fast and one I was back into 3 feet of water the game was over. I now carry a 5 foot Zulu type spear lashed to the right outside of my kayak. That is my first choice of a bladed item for self defense.
Mike in Peru

Russell James
07-03-2010, 05:28 AM
45, as Crocodile Dundee once said " Now thats a knife"!

JSH
07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
An interesting thread by all means. I was a knife hound for a short time. I never did get real interested in a Bowie style though. I had seen a thing called a skachet, (spelling) when I was a kid. Always thought it may be a handy camp tool. I hunted with a few guys and one older fellow had one and could pretty much take care of moose to rabbits with it. He made that comment and brought a box full of pics on morning, hunting pics from all over North America. The Skachet was either seen in it's sheath or at work in camp or cutting up game.
I would still like to have one, but the blasted price of them is crazy.
I usually carry a Western and a couple of lock blades when hunting.
I now have in my possesion a "Snodgrass Special" first edition,lol. James made it from a file and retempered it. Some say it will break, but I don't plan on using it for a pry bar. Holds an edge like "who dunnit". I put a 30 degree edge on it with my Lansky diamond stone.
I ran across an interesting magazine that I had not seen since i was a kid, called "The Backwoodsman". I remember dad having them around. There is a fair jag of info in them on knives. Some useful and some questionable.
jeff

PatMarlin
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I can paddle in reverse real fast and one I was back into 3 feet of water the game was over. I now carry a 5 foot Zulu type spear lashed to the right outside of my kayak. That is my first choice of a bladed item for self defense.
Mike in Peru

Mike- just how fast can you paddle when chewing those green leaves? ... [smilie=2:

Do they make a 237 pounder person Kayak? ..:mrgreen:

Obama should distribute Zulu spears in the hood to cut down on stray fire.. :Fire:

nicholst55
07-10-2010, 07:16 AM
I have a Cold Steel Trailmaster, which has a too-long, too-thick blade to be useful as anything other than a makeshift hatchet.

http://www.coldsteel.com/trailmaster.html

Some have fund that one of the Cold Steel Kukri-style machetes are quite useful in the general camp use category.

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

Maine1
07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll have to disagree with you there, Nicholst55, i have used a TM for about everything, from chopping trees to whittling traps, skinning whitetails, woodchucks, ect.

Too bad they are not made in the US anymore, they are a good knife for those who find a larger blade useful.

JesterGrin_1
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I have one thing to say about the old Carbon V Trail Master they will sure keep an edge. :)

BruceB
07-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, the Carbon V steel is excellent. It will rust and stain if not cared-for, naturally, but that's what we get with carbon steels.

As mentioned earler, I used my Trail Master (Carbon V) a fair bit in the near-timberline areas of the Northwest Territories, and it performed well...an axe isn't needed for the spindly growth in those areas.

Mostly, though, I just like HAVING the blade, and messing about with it from time to time. It's a fascinating piece of work, and I'd be very happy to have it in hard times.

JesterGrin_1
07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Did you say RUST lol. I made a mistake one time and only one time lol. I took it to the coast fishing. Never even went out in a boat just the pier lol. And I had it in the scabard lol. I took it out to cut bait and guess what it had a film of rust on it. Sure it wiped right off but it sceeered the heck out of me lol. As the TM is not a cheap knife or it wasn't when they were Carbon V lol. I put a good coat of grease on it and put it back in the car and used a cheap stainless knife lol.

07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
How practical the Bowie?

Wild thread! The term "Bowie" these days has become so generic as to mean almost anything except a folder :) Some are small and slender with a reasonable blade profile and some resemble a dull Gladius sword- more of a percussion weapon or club than a knife. Certain forms of the "Bowie" are very practical- almost univerally so.

07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Big knives are good for camp chores, but lack a bit for hunting. I have used big knives for the purpose, but a smaller one is always handier. I generally carry a Camillus double blade Trapper, lock back for my main cutting tool when hunting.

Here is an original Hudson's Bay camp knife I have in my collection.

The HB Camp Knives are interesting blades! Mine has a very heavy 9" blade that is 1/4" at the spine and is fully hollow ground between the spine and the edge. The hilt is horn. What is the maker of yours?

This one's a Jukes Coulson. (For those unfamiliar with them, they are larger and heavier than photos indicate.) Made a sheath for it as shown in picture. Not because I plan on carrying it too much:) Thought it deserved something to keep it in though.

PatMarlin
07-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Can't believe this thread is up to 6 pages.

Very cool knife. Very nice leather design 405. I've never seen one of those. How old is it?

07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
PatMarlin,
The exact age of some of these tools used during the 1800s can be hard to determine. Company history/records can indicate date ranges. I think that most all if not all tools made by the Sheffield cutlers prior to the mid- late 1890s will be stamped "Sheffield". Those made after that time will be stamped "Sheffield England". The local smith-made or self-made items can be nearly impossible to age. The Hudson's Bay Company was one of the big tool/utensil suppliers to North American pioneers. Best estimate on this Jukes Coulson, Sheffield camp knife is 1870s-80s. I understand these large camp knives were used in the Buffalo hunting camps.

Just my imagination for the sheath. I would think most were just carried in bags or chuck boxes along with all other such tools and utensils.

Just Duke
07-27-2010, 03:15 AM
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SDC12177.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SDC12178.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SHEFFIELD1.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SHEFFIELD2.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SHEFFIELD3.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/BOWIE/SHEFFIELD4.jpg

The knife blades have alot of radiused surfaces that should be flat.
I have done one of the 6 so far.

Char-Gar
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Back in the early 60's, me and several other guys bought Randall knives. Mine was an 8" blade No. 1 which was Randalls idea of what a modern fighting Bowie should be. In 1963 or so I shot my first Antelope in West Texas and was trying to use the 8" Randall to field dress it. I kept puncturing the guts in the process. The Rancher stood by and watched me struggle for a few minutes and then pitched me his Case three blade stock knife and told me to us it. That little pocket folder did the job very well.

How good is a Bowie for a hunting knife? Not worth a damn!

Another of the guys, chipped the blade on his Randall choping wood and sent it back to Bo Randall to be reground. He got it back with a very salty letter from Bo himself. He stated knives were knives and axes were axes and he made knives. They were not designed or ground the same. If the idiot who used the knife for an ax wanted an ax, Bo would make him a hand forged ax for the job.

I don't think much of large knives for general camp knives either. An ax or shovel will do each job far better.

Old time Bowies look cool and have a cool history and plenty of panache. However there are better fighting knife designs around these days. The Bowie is pretty much a relic of the past without much real use.

Char-Gar
07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Back in the early 60's, me and several other guys bought Randall knives. Mine was an 8" blade No. 1 which was Randalls idea of what a modern fighting Bowie should be. In 1963 or so I shot my first Antelope in West Texas and was trying to use the 8" Randall to field dress it. I kept puncturing the guts in the process. The Rancher stood by and watched me struggle for a few minutes and then pitched me his Case three blade stock knife and told me to us it. That little pocket folder did the job very well.

How good is a Bowie for a hunting knife? Not worth a damn!

Another of the guys, chipped the blade on his Randall choping wood and sent it back to Bo Randall to be reground. He got it back with a very salty letter from Bo himself. He stated knives were knives and axes were axes and he made knives. They were not designed or ground the same. If the idiot who used the knife for an ax wanted an ax, Bo would make him a hand forged ax for the job.

I don't think much of large knives for general camp knives either. An ax or shovel will do each job far better.

Old time Bowies look cool and have a cool history and plenty of panache. However there are better fighting knife designs around these days. The Bowie is pretty much a relic of the past without much real use.

a.squibload
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=965350&postcount=17

XR500/KLX250

08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
"Na, needs more garlic", "Knoife?", "That's not a knoife".

Top------Borneo, Sea Dyak (alt. Dayak) Parang, ca 1825
Middle---US Issue SA M1909, ca 1910
Bottom--Western USA Bowie W49, ca 1980

a.squibload
08-07-2010, 03:07 AM
I think that's spelled "gahlic".

Nice blades, I like the middle one.

rhbrink
08-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Good morning
And another factor.. just how do you get to the CAMP...
I am a kayak traveler.. when I get the chance up there in the state of ILL. or the other surrounding meandering liquid highways. Weight and space is the issue to me. Plus plain old packability with easy access. I use one of them 35 pound plastic kayaks. Total recommended weight is about 220. So my 158 pounds, cloths and gear has to be carefully thought out.
A hachet is just to big. A hawk is not bad but a thick bladed bowie (Kabar or Gerber) are easier to store and do not add any weight. Add a blade smacker and it will cut as well as a hawk. I always have a 4" Gerber Easy Out on my body so the two covered all my needs. That is until one day on North Fork an agressive Saint Bernard decided maybe a kayak would be a nice play toy on a shalow area. Fortunatly he entered the water while I was still a bit upstream and blew his ambush. I can paddle in reverse real fast and one I was back into 3 feet of water the game was over. I now carry a 5 foot Zulu type spear lashed to the right outside of my kayak. That is my first choice of a bladed item for self defense.
Mike in Peru
Got to have me one of those Zulu's. A number of years ago I had an experience with a Rottweiler (A big one) in the middle of a Arksanas river on a canoe trip could have been a bad deal, thats where being aware of your surroundings is very important. Saw him before he saw me was able to scoot around him. He wasn't happy with that deal.

Two years ago had 9 pigs swim a river in Missouri in the fall during deer season. I was out of tags so didn't have a rifle. Had friend with me and suggested that he bring a rifle as he had a tag left but nope deer down there weren't big enough for him to shoot. Circled those pigs tried to drown them but they float pretty good, thought about running over one but had visions of 200 ft. of pig guts wrapped around my prop. Really didn't want a live wild pig in the boat with all kinds of expensive fishing gear. But if I had that Zulu would have been eating pork chops with fried crappie!

Which brings up the last reason so far anyway, ever notice when you find a good crappie hotspot here comes all the old crappie dogs that spot you. I've had em close enough to bang crappie rods I bet if I proped up that Zulu that would back em off, might even put it on a extend handle like painters use.

Great thread anyway hope it keeps going![smilie=l:

Maine1
08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Bowie is the knife i'd have- provided i either made it myself, or was directly involved with the design process- for both EDC and any SHTF scenario you care to mention.

Chargar, i feel your pain. I toured the Randall knife museum a few years ago, and veiwed the framed exploded construction knives they have there. I was a little disapointed in the tang, for such a lauded tool. Randalls are good knives, but they should stand up to a little chopping with no issues. BUT...a Randall AIN'T a BOWIE...two diferent kettles of fish.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised how well a good one works. paired with a smaller fixed, blade and a leatherman(fro the pliers and screwdrivers) and i'd be pretty happy.

A properly made fighting bowie- a Bagwell Helles Belle- in trained hands makes all other "fighting" knives a joke. Fast, devistating, repeatable blows. Ever wonder why the bowie was outloawed? 'Cuz they were made diferently than todays knives, as they were front line, serious use tools, and modern manufacturing was not a factor.

Tazman1602
10-10-2010, 08:27 AM
..........and that's posting pictures of them here. My mom bought me this one circa mid 1990's for Christmas. Absolutely beautiful, razor sharp original Colt laser engraved Bowie. Never comes off the display stand except to keep oiled and cleaned which it needs right now.

.................now I guess if the SHTF I'd be glad I had this around but it's useless for hunting purposes and it weighs a ton.

Sure is COOL though.................<GRIN> [smilie=w:

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/bowie%20knive/Bowie3.jpg

home in oz
10-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Blade is too long.

Use a hatchet for campsite chopping/brush clearing.