PDA

View Full Version : Maven's Day at the Range With .44Mag.

Maven
05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
All, The rain and chilly weather we've had cleared off enough so that I could test my 10.5" bbl.'ed. SBH (aka "Maven's new toy") with a variety of CB's, all seated over 8gr. Unique and Fed. LP primers. (This -> ~1,000fps over my chrono.) @ 25 yd. (open sights; pistol butt resting on sandbag; my butt resting...well, you get the picture!). CB's tested included the Lee TL SWC; Ly. #429421 (single cav.); Ly. #429330 (single cav., a Gordon Boser design/Keith wannabe); and the RCBS Keith that I swapped TXBirdman for. The targets were 2" red dots on standard sheets of paper. All were "sized" to .432" meaning the die that Buckshot opened up for me barely touched the CB's.

Results:
The worst perfoming CB was #429330, probably due to its undersized driving band. Glenn Fryxell* wrote about it's poor accuracy, but I didn't know that when I purchased it (as new). Suffice it to say 25 shots went into a 6" x 8" parallelogram with the best 7 going into 1 1/4" x 2". Care to guess which mold I'm going to be selling?

OTOH, the RCBS Keith was the best performer with 9 going into 1 1/4" x 2" and one stinker 3/4" lower at six o'clock. I was thrilled with its performance. Btw, the .359" version of it (also RCBS) performs as well in my two .357mags.

Lyman's #429421 didn't disappoint me either. However, I sent two shots high trying to determine where to hold on the target. The remaining 8 shots were the equal of the RCBS above.

The Lee TL groups well, but not as tightly as the RCBS or -421. With a little fiddling, e.g., weighing & segregating by cavity and better technique on my part, I think things will improve. Say what you will about Lee products, the innovative TL design is a wonderful time saver when you don't feel like lubing & sizing.

Leading:
My current alloy may be a bit softer than it should be since I'm trying to reduce the amount of Pb I have around. Thus, I'm using #4 WW + #1 Lino + 1 Pb and yes, there was some leading at the forcing cone and ~1"- 2" forward of it. What little there was was easily removed (Ed's Red) and had no effect on accuracy that I could see.

*See "Cast Bullet Reference on Lead Alloys...." at http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm#top

Bucks Owin
05-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Aren't those big 'ol Blackhawk .44s fun? Kinda like a "one handed carbine"!

I also like the RCBS 250K boolit and their 225 GC as well. But wait until you try a 310 gr Lee boolit.....Best performing boolit "out of the gate" that I've ever tried! Seems to shoot well with any load I can concoct and at any velocity....
I urge you to give it a try....

A fellow 10" (and 10.5") Ruger lover,

Dennis

BTW, that link you posted to the LASC should be required reading for newbie boolit casters. A LOT of information there... ;-)

44man
05-18-2006, 04:21 PM
The Lee 310 will shoot, I don't know any of my friends that are having any luck with the TL boolits. I outshoot them with regular Felix lube and they outshoot themselves when I give them my loads.

Maven
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Dennis & 44man, I'm not surprised that the Lee 310gr. CB performs well, given its longer bearing surface, but do I need one just to punch paper? As for the Lee TL's, I water-dropped them first and lubed half their grooves the old fashioned way; i.e., in a H & I die. Speaking of which, I erred slightly in my original post: Buckshot opened the die to .433", not .432" as stated. Since I had the TL mold before I got the sizing die, I've been using them as a benchmark of sorts. I know they're more accurate @ ~1,040fps (8gr. Unique) than 995fps (7.5gr. Unique), but I'm not sure they'll group tightly @ 1,100fps. And you're right, that long bbl. is a joy to use.

Paul

Bucks Owin
05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
FWIW, the 310 groups beautifully at 850 fps with negligible recoil...

I had a photo somewhere around here but here it is again...14 grs SR-4759/310 Lee = 1.6" @ 25 yds...
(barefoot and unsized at .434"...!!!)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/310L001.jpg