PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems with Wolff springs in a GP100?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I just got my Wolff springs from Midway and installed them on one of my GP100s. I went with the 8lb trigger return and the 9lb hammer spring. I am quite impressed with the improved trigger pull both in single action and double action. I have yet to test the gun with ammo. Will I have ignition problems with springs this light?

P.S. I use Federal primers.

Frozone
12-09-2009, 01:45 AM
I did.
I had to go with the 12# hammer spring. A good trigger job helps Far more than the hammer spring anyway.

wellfedirishman
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I had problems with the 9 lb hammer spring, but once I went to 11 lbs it worked fine (with Winchester primed reloads).

NickSS
12-09-2009, 07:25 AM
I too had problems with the lightest of the three hammer springs I got with the kit. When I went with the middle spring everything was fine. When I had the gun apart to put the springs in I polished all rubbing parts in the action before I reassembled it. between the polishing and new springs the trigger pull both double and single action are very much better.

monadnock#5
12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I haven't had any problems with the 9lb hammer spring in my 6" GP. It was the trigger return spring that gave me grief. The return spring also keeps the trigger group locked into the frame. With the 8lb spring, the recoil was enough to disengage the spring loaded plunger. With the 10lb spring, no problems. While I had mine apart, I burnished and sealed the moving parts with Action Magic II from Brownells. Well worth the time and effort.

GP100man
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
if ya shim the hammer with shims to hold it in the center of the frame & smooth up the hammer spring strut & use only federal small pistol primers you may get by .

But the majority of te GPs tat i`ve done takes the 10#trigger& the 12# hammer springs to be 100% reliable wit all ammo.

If useing this revolver for some competition is fine , but for sd/hd & hunting NO ,DON`T DO IT!!

& the liter hamer spring affects locktime & will open SA/DA groups!

the liter triger spring will afect the action when shootin DA it`ll tend t be slow resetting the trigger!

Harry O
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Same problem with the lightest spring in the kit. I had a few failures to fire, maybe 5%. That was not acceptable, so I went to the middle spring weight (trigger return spring was unchanged). I have not had a failure to fire since then. The trigger is still not as nice as in my S&W L-frame, but it is MUCH better than it was.

TCLouis
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
trigger mechanism. Wanted to lighten things up. so I installed the lightest Wolff hammer spring. It worked fine all summer, but when I went to shoot in cold weather I got LOTS of misfires.
Factory spring back and misfires went away. Amazing that little bit of difference with the cold SS grease and metal and it would fire ONLY on the 2nd strike.

If you go to replace the trigger spring, be carefully there is a small spring and strut(?) that leave the area with authority. Wear glasses to remove and reinstall.

chris in va
12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
FWIW I had the 10# in my SP101. Never had a misfire with it.

Shiloh
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I did.
I had to go with the 12# hammer spring. A good trigger job helps Far more than the hammer spring anyway.

A lot to be said about a good trigger job.

Shiloh