PDA

View Full Version : advice on new sizing die

Mike0904
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Got the press and die set from a friend years ago and he reloaded with it for years...well I went and got something in the sizing die (hornady.223) and now
it gouges the case sides, Can they polish it or do i need new and whats everyones thoughts on who makes the best one. I load for an AR.

12-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Max D'

Using plenty of light and magnification, determine exactly where the burr is located. Judicial application of 400 grit wet/dry paper (well oiled) wrapped round a dowel should smooth things out. Key word is judicial, you don't want to enlarge the die's interior.

If you decide on new, I recommend Lyman's "M" die.

MtGun44
12-09-2009, 01:04 AM
I believe that die makers will generally polish out the die if you send it back.

Bill

Mike0904
12-09-2009, 01:45 AM
I didnt even think of sanding them out there is more then 3 scratches in it I think new is the way to go but maybe I will try it and see if they work in the go no go gauge.

Czech_too
12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
If you should decide to go with a new sizing die, I would get one other than the Hornady. Lately, from what I've read and experienced, their sizing die in this cartridge is running small, resulting in stuck cases.
I have several of their die sets and would normally recommend them, but not in the .223
The Lyman 'M' die would be nice too.

dale2242
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I would try cleaning the sizer die with a bronze bore brush before using any abrasives on the inside of the die. There could just be foreign material in there that can be cleaned out. I would sand the inside of the die only as a last resort. Cleaning your brass before sizing will prevent this problem. Pick up brass can be very dirty.....dale

Mike0904
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Two for Lyman's "M" die might have to give it a try.
The brass was very clean but I did leave it lubed from the day before
under paper to "keep anything off it" oh well ! As long as I used the case lube as directed
I never had stuck cases in it. Thanks for the input

Mike0904
02-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Well I did get a new sizing die (223rcbs) and it works perfectly. But the update is
I bought a used 9mm dieset (rcbs) and after loading 25 rounds with it tested
in a new pistol (first 9mm) I went to do another load a few days later and that sizing die was worse than what I did to the hornady. Ordered another die but because its a new gun I cant wait till a new die comes so I started thinkin :killingpc
came up with an idea to make a small hone used with my drill. I didnt think the hornady 223 would size right but both dies are good as new now.....:drinks:
thanks guys

DLCTEX
02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I have polished out scratches before with good results. Split wooden dowel with abrasive cloth chucked in a drill. Go slow.

Ed Barrett
02-27-2010, 02:21 AM
some dies have a hole to let the air out when resizing, this can be clogged. Take the adjusting ring all the way off ant look closely for the hole. Use a fine piece of copper wire to clean it out. If that doesn't do itput some penetrating oil or kroil on it and wait half an hour and try again. I have found that the thicker type case lubes seem to clog these more than the water based lubs or lanolin and alcohol based ones do.

1hole
02-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Sizers are case hardened. It is impossible to cut them with a file, or even scratch them. Few other things can scratch them! It takes a LOT of properly done fine grit lapping to change the dimensions, even a little.

What happens is the user sometimes fails to properly lube his cases. Then the soft, dry brass rubs off and sticks onto the dry die wall, galling, on both steel and carbide. Once started, the galling build-up increases with each successive cycle and eventually the case scratches can be quite deep. BUT, the soft galled brass can be lapped off the hardened steel (or carbide) easily and with a minimal risk of any damage to the die.

I've bought several used die sets - cheap - because the owners thought the sizers were "scratched inside" and got new ones. Such "scratched dies" can easily be restored with a simple split wood dowel lap wound with 400 to 600 grit silicon carbide paper, turned by a drill. I have smoothed out quite a few and polished them as smooth as new. I've actually found that a mirror polished die surface is NOT as good as a soft satin finish that holds case lube better.

Lyman's "M" die is an expander, only, and it's only available as an accessory die for bottle neck rifle cartridges. (And Redding has copied it, for their handgun dies anyway.)

Mike0904
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Ed..I read up all kinda stuff when having the problem got that info as well thanks.

1hole...I learned that one too and they do seem to work better now.

thanks,
Max