PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You

Beekeeper
12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes I know I should have and could have done this via PM or e-mail but thought this would be better.
That said I want to thank all of the people who have helped me for all of the help given me in preparing my 577 Snider rifle to shoot for the first time in over 100 years.
It is one of the IMA imports from nepal and I have spent several months restoring it.
A special thanks to Buckshot for taking the time to answer all of my e-mails ( beleive me he has the gone out of his way to answer a lot of e-mail)

On sunday a week ago my daughter came to stay with my wife( to give me a break) and I drove several hours to the desert to a place I know where I could shoot it

I wimped and loaded the first 2 shells with 50 grains of goex 2F and COW to the required level,
2 card wads , a 1/4 inch lube cookie and seated the .600 round ball 1/2 its circumference.
Dipped it in udder butter and shot it.
A lot of smoke later I found I had actually hit the target I had set up 120 paces out.
The last 8 cases were full load of 70 grains of 2F goex and the old girl held up fine.
Can't say I hit the target every time but it was a joy just to hear and see it roar once more.
The rest of the day was spent shootong a M95 steyr with the new Babore old feller boolit BaBore it works great.
Not shooting at a target per say so nothing to post for it.

All in all it was a great day and I want to thank everyone who helped again.

Jim

Buckshot
12-09-2009, 03:20 AM
............My little Snider carbine is more accurate then my 3 band ............so far that is. I've not shot RB's in the 3 band yet however, and the carbine perked right up when I switched to the RB. Of course, I hadn't spent a lot of time with the Minie' in the carbine before switching to the RB either. I need to try that thicker Jamison brass too. All I've used to date has been the much thinner altered 24ga Mag-Tech cases. If you can get ahold of some 1Fg BP it would be worth experimenting with that also. It takes up a lot more room in the case then the finer 2Fg does.

..............Buckshot

NickSS
12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I have only fired one Snider rifle and that one was not an antique except for the receiver. It was a two band Parker hale enfield rifle that had been converted with a snider action just like the originals. It was owned by a Canadian I met at a rifle match. He was shooting it in the match and did better than I did with my sharps. He was shooting minni balls from a Parker Hale mold he got for his muzzle loader over 75 gr of FFG GOEX. It was darned accurate at 200 yards we were firing at. I got a couple of shots and have wanted one ever since but never found one that I would pay the money for what it was going for.

Beekeeper
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
When I bought mine from IMA (called an un touched) they were $250 plus shipping.
When I got it I almost died.
Untouched was saying kind words about it.
After 2 months of work I finally had something I would say I owned.
That is one of the main reasons I was so afraid to shoot it.
It isn't perfect but would pass an inspection now I think and shoots great.
When I find them will post pics of it before and after.

If someone wants one I think Atlanta gutlery stillhas some from the same Nepal cache.

Jim