PDA

View Full Version : Swiss K31 Shooter

StarMetal
05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Aim Surplus just got some new scope mounts (with rings) in for the K31. It looks different then the ones that clamp to the rear sight. Take a look.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Accessories.html

Joe

Bob S
05-18-2006, 09:00 AM
A low-cost copy of the EAW mount. I have two of them, one made by the guy in Montana, one by the guy in Michegan (same as the AIM offering). They are functionally equivalent. Highly effective; much, much more so than any "scout" mount, for precision shooting.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Shepherd2
05-19-2006, 08:19 AM
The mount looks very similar to the St. Marie mount that I have on one of my K31s. You can't see that much detail in the photos. Is the St. Marie an EAW type mount also? The St. Marie is more expensive and doesn't come with rings. In fact, I have more in the mount and rings than I do in the rifle they are on. I like the St. Marie much better than the scout mounts I've seen.

It's very easy to move from one rifle to another. I'd like to do that this summer to see which of my K31s is the most accurate. I'll use GP11 ammo to keep thing even.

Bob S
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Is the St. Marie an EAW type mount also?

Yes. He's "the guy in Montana". Brownell's and Grafs carry his mounts and other products.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Bullshop
05-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Does that mount on the bolt? I cant tell from the pic.
BIC/BS

Bob S
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Does that mount on the bolt? I cant tell from the pic.
BIC/BS

No. It has a wedge that clamps to the thumb clearance notch in the right side of the receiver, see arrow. It almost seems that the receiver was designed with this in mind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/K31/clamponmount.jpg

Instead of a scope, I have a target receiver sight mounted on the rail. It is also made by Mr. St. Marie, and is carried by Graf's. The mount in the picture is a St. Marie. I also have an Accumount, which I think may be what AIM is carrying. It is a little longer, and I use that one for scope almost exclusively now, as I can't get satisfactory eye relief with a scope using the St. Marie mount. I have been told that the St. Marie mount is now being made longer (mine is one of the first ones made).

Resp'y,
Bob S.

StarMetal
05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Bob,

In Aims literature they say something about the mount or rings can be back and forth for greater or lesser eye clearance. Is that type of mount particulary long or something?

Joe

26Charlie
05-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Beautiful metal, very little blue wear on this one; not too many dings in the stock. Took it to the range with -
a) A 10-round box of military hardball ($5) which gave me a 3-inch 10-shot group at 100 yards, as a reference. Fired off the bench with "wrist rest" - hand holding foreend resting across a padded block.
b) 311299 210 gr. GC, sized .309, 22.0 gr. 4198 and Winchester LR primer. After a couple to see what sight setting to use (300 m.), fired the rest in a 19-shot group. 12 of the shots were into a similar 3" group as the hardball, but outliers up down and sideways opened the total group up to 7.9 inches of the two farthest-apart shots.
The 311299 bullet was seated with the top band flush with case mouth, and the forepart of the bullet kissed the rifling (four little marks) when the bolt closed.
Another nice rifle to play with.
The idea of one-gun-a-month is expensive, but I'm doing my damndest to keep up with it.

jh45gun
06-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Saw some pics of a couple of groups a friend on the net posted using a leupold 2.5x scout scope on a k31 1.8 inches CTC at 150 yards and 1.1 CTC at 200 yards. So decent shooting with a scout set up can be done at longer distances. I would bet a variable pistol scope would work very well for longer distances though not really needed on a scout set up.