PDA

View Full Version : Bullet knurling tool

pillardrill
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi folks,

I decided to mash only lead into a die to check what comes out :-D

Well I have some applications for lead bullets. I had made a bullet mold which produced a 160gr bullet with 2 wide grooves. This bullet was too long for a 9mm, since it would deform at the rear when seated. :Fire:

Well since I wanted the weight I swaged an unlubed bullet into my die and to avoid leading I made myself a bullet knurling tool. I knurled the swaged bullet and unsurprisingly the bullet was some 8 thousands larger and was therefor unusable.

So I made a die that would produce a bullet some 10 thousands smaller and put the resulting bullet in the knurling tool. Out came a pretty knurled bullet of the right dimensions 8-)

Next was a step I always hated, seating a lead bullet. I hate to work a case more than I need too. I had made a tool which would precisely seat a bullet into a 9mm case. The tool has a chamber where a case fits snugly. Instead of riflings there is a precision bored hole .357" in diameter. A bullet is placed inside this hole, a powder filled case inside the "chamber" and a close fitting plunger is used to push the bullet inside the case.

Well crossing my fingers I decided to seat a knurled bullet inside a case. The bullet went in nicely and there was no trace of any lead shavings. I pulled the bullet out to examine the part of the bullet which was seated inside the case. The crests of the knurling was understandably flattened but there was no evidence of the case mouth having shaved the bullet. [smilie=w:

Now it's a question should I tumble lube or simply smear the knurls with lube.

Still on my mind is will these bullets lead the barrel ? :???:

rockrat
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Try tumble lubing with a very diluted LLA

EMC45
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Very neat idea!

deltaenterprizes
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Hornady does that on lead bullets, I think it is the 38-148 gr HBWC

Tazman1602
12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Now that is some kind of ingenuity! What did you use for the knurling posts? Just curious.

Art

scrapcan
12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
It looks like you just make a couple of knurled pieces of tubing and a knurled post ( the one with the t handle). Did you just tap the bottom plate to bolt the knurled tubing and use a lock nut/jamb nut on the post?

ANeat
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Nice job, Corbin has a similar idea, Like corbins you should be able to add a groove "wheel" and some smooth rollers to either add a lube groove or cannelure.

http://www.corbins.com/images/hct-2.jpg

http://www.corbins.com/images/hct-2c.jpg

ANeat
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is the grooving setup

http://www.corbins.com/images/hct-3b.gif

pillardrill
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I just knurled a piece of bright mild steel, drilled it and cut it to length. I didn't bother to harden the rollers since it be crunching on lead.

The 2 posts are bolted onto the plates and a lock nut keeps them in place.

It would be no sweat to make a grooving tool, but lets see how these bullets turn out.

rickster
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
I like the way you think.

jorge python
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Would you please put pictures of the bottom and / or separate parts?
Nice idea!