PDA

View Full Version : Black powder purchase.

Catshooter
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I see that online is probably the best place to get the Holy Black.

Where's the best/cheapest gents?

Thanks.

Cat

dualsport
12-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Check out Grafs, IIRC they were selling blackpowder for about $14 .lb a few months ago.

JeffinNZ
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Maine Powder House.

John Boy
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Where's the best/cheapest gents?
Cat, that is an oxymoron. Swiss, by far, is the best black powder but not the cheapest. In fact, it is the highest priced powder with Goex Express running 2nd highest. KIK is cheap, a powder that produces higher velocities compared to Goex, but fouls on the dirty side. Maine Powder House and Graf's now have the improved FFg Schuetzen and it costs more than KIK but less than Swiss. I'd go with the Schuetzen

357maximum
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
I like the Wano Shuetzen..it is almost as good as the swiss as far as low fouling..and cheaper. I have one smoker that prefers Goex2F though. You just never know, but that shuetzen is a great place to start. Not sure if you can still buy it in the 25lb BAG...but that is the reason I save all my empty hodgdon bottles if the label peels off good. I like having my powder in a jug and them empties sure work good for powder.:groner:

Muddy Creek Sam
12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Powder Inc.

Buckshot
12-08-2009, 01:09 AM
............I've bought from Maine Powder House twice. Nice and quick, good folks and they got it out quick.

............Buckshot

Catshooter
12-08-2009, 01:24 AM
No John Boy, not which powder is best, where best to buy it.

Cat

boommer
12-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Powder Inc. is good place to deal with on track with other prices just got 25# this week called Monday it was here Thursday. I burn Swiss for the most part they were the cheapest last time I checked ,but this order didn't check prices. I've bought a fair amount of powder off them and they always done me right.

357maximum
12-08-2009, 05:39 AM
No John Boy, not which powder is best, where best to buy it.

Cat

I also took my eye off the ball on that one.:oops:

My last mail order black was from powderinc.....I was very happy with them. I have since found what I need in BP somewhat local. It was here all the time...I just was not asking the right question to the right ridgerunner.

northmn
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I have used Grafs as I no longer need 25 pounds and they ship less. I can order 5 pounds, pay the Hazmat and still get GOEX less expensive than locally or driving to TOW, plus I have a choice in brands.

Northmn

cajun shooter
12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Graf's is a great place to buy from. They charge $4.50 shipping and the Haz-Mat and you can mix up the brands and types of powder. They lost a powder order of mine once and Mike Graf sent me another order free of any charges, that's hard to beat. They paid the Haz-Mat and shipping and I'm a customer for life. Best place to purchase if you just want to try out a powder as you can just order 5 pounds.

waksupi
12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I usually buy from Doc Carlson, at Upper Missouri Trading Co.

59sharps
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Back Creek Gunshop Winchester Va. is another place. can mix and match.

1874Sharps
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Powder Inc. out of Arkansas has the best prices that I have seen. They are just a little cheaper than Maine Powder House. Both offer some products and brands that the other does not. I have not tried the Scheutzen powders and hope to do so in the future. The KIK brand seems to work very well for general purpose shooting in CAS. It is as good as the Goex and a bit cheaper.

Catshooter
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks gentlemen.

Cat

Marvin S
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Is there no Rondezvous in your area? They are about the best places to get it.

Lead Fred
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
In Washingrad the head Mistress has deemed you have to have a special piece of paper to transport such a dangerous item.

So you cant buy it at rondy, in a store, or on-line.

You have to sneak across the border and smuggle it in.

Underclocked
12-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Here's another source http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

shotman
12-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I found out something that may work for many . The war of northern agression re actors. They have many chapters all over the usa. Look up one and contact a member. They buy and sell to the guys . I found a local guy that had for his own use but sold me a couple of pounds

Marvin S
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
In Washingrad the head Mistress has deemed you have to have a special piece of paper to transport such a dangerous item.

So you cant buy it at rondy, in a store, or on-line.

You have to sneak across the border and smuggle it in.

Ahh, some more smart folks looking out for our saftey:groner: