PDA

View Full Version : Krag questions, need advice and some help

JSH
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
This has already been sporterized d/t reciever for a rear sight, so don't get excited about buggering a good one. Damn you Bob and Ken,lol. Barrel has ben cut to 20-21".
What is the proper way to bed a Krag? Want/need pics of this please if you have them.
Stock that is on it looks to be an early Fajen or Bishop. RH monte carlo. it has a full length stock, but the barrel bands that were on it, more of a place to put a sling, couldn't do it any good. Debating on wether to leave it full length and fix the end or cut it back some.
I found this and it follpowed me home, I felt sorry for it. Needs to have the checkering chased a bit and an oil finish should perk it up to standards.
One of those winter projects. Seems like winter used to last longer? Maybe I used to moved a bit faster ? Nawwwww global warming I am sure,lol.
Any pics of sporterized Krags would be appreciated.
BTW slugged the muzzle, another one at 301-308, made me happy. Will see what the throat is later this week.
jeff

quack1
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM
This may not be the best way, but I have restocked a few over the years for myself and buddys and everyone has shot decently. I glass the back end of the magazine box tight to the stock where it touches to act as a recoil lug and continue the glass along the floor of the mag box so that it surrounds the front trigger guard screw. This gives the action a good seat to return to each time the stock is removed. I also place some glass around the bottom of the reciever ring to give some support to the front of the action. I then floated the barrel. Hope my description is clear. Like I said, it may not be the best way, but it did work.
Sorry I never took any pictures and I sold or traded all the Krags I previously owned, so can't take one now.

oldhickory
12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Just like Quack1 said, plus I would bed the tang a little and about the first inch of the barrel like a Mauser. I have one military Krag with no glass at all and it shoots extremely well just as it came from Springfield!

JSH
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks fellows. I have a smal piece to replace behind the bolt on the right side by the notch. Wish I had the original piece, but doesn't look to hard to replace.
I have some older books and am going to look back through them when time allows. May even dig through the old AR magazines and see what there is for info.
That is a project I wish someone that had all the info would tackle and put on cast pics.
Take all the December issues of AR magazines glossary and post them up. Would sure make it handy to run through and find articles.
Jeff

Char-Gar
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I am building a Krag sporter now. I glassed the tang, receiver ring and 1" of the barrel, plus the area where the back of the magazine box bears. I drilled and tapped the front receiver ring for a third action screw. If you don't use a third action screw you will want a barrel band for sure and for certain.