PDA

View Full Version : loading for 475 linebaugh

bobke
12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
have set upon accumulating the necessary components and so forth to start a 475linebaugh project and need some of the sage and wisdom of the crew here to get me started on the right foot, at the get go, not down the road somewhere.

picked up 200 hornady 475 cases at bass pro in san antone, cheaper than anywhere i've seen and since they'd been sitting there for so long, figured i'd give them a proper home. choice now is die set. prefer carbide for the simple ease of use and am considering rcbs three die set or hornady 4 die titanium nitride set. excuse my ignorance(and i did check the hornady site), and do know ti/nitride adds surface hardness to anything it's applied to, but does this satisfy the same sizing/lubrication requirement that carbide does, or is this just to add longevity to the die set? always prefer separate seating and crimping stations, so hornady seems a likely choice, but don't know have an answer on the ti/nitride question. so...to lube or not to lube cases? what's everyone else using for dies and have you found any issues with same?

need to get something, probably a lee manual trim pilot and case holder, to get case length correct, a shell holder for lee hand primer(pretty decent feel for bottom of pocket), and maybe some fresh chamfering tools and should be good to go. will the 475 case fit either a forster or rcbs lathe type trimmer shell holdeer or something special req'd here?

am watching for a proper bullet mold in the 400gr range, and both 44man's and BaBore's 400gr flatpoint look pretty good. anything else i'm missing here? gun-likely a bfr-will never see jacketed bullets, so that' out at the get go. any other suggestions?

as always, appreciate the accumulated wisdom and feedback here. thx.

dubber123
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I'd get the Hornady set, price is similar, and it includes a taper crimp die. Depending on how tight the chambers are cut, it may be a MUST have. My F/A requires a light taper crimp to chamber. The Titanium Nitride requires no case lube at all. I really like my Hornady brass, it's been WELL used, and I haven't lost a single piece yet.

44man
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, get the Hornady dies, the expander is right and is most important.
The brass will fit the number 1 collet in the RCBS trimmer. You need a pilot. The shell holder for the press is a number 40 and that might be the same number for the shell plate used on the newer trim pro trimmers.
I sent you 3 boolits. I have not had time to cast taking the wife for back treatments, doing the feeding and shopping. I have 3 shots left for the rest of deer season. I have none for the .44 or .45 either.
But I only need one more deer for the neighbor, that's only one shot. :-)

bobke
12-07-2009, 08:07 PM
44man-
got 'em today. thank you. haven't had time to even open them up and handle them, but they do look impressive after shooting 41/44/45's all these years. is that felix lube? never seen it and have read much mention of same, just never had my eyes on it before. need to drag the mic out and check these over.

i'm going to go with the hornady dies, but they're sold out at mid south and midway. still checking around. i load on an older rcbs progressive and a rockchucker, so getting the shell plate and other bits/pcs to trim and prime brass manually. have both rcbs and lyman sizers, so will get two dies-one a .476 and another spare to play with, should i want to lap it out a bit for proper/custom fit to throat.

getting kind of excited about this project. have commenced to shooting again after a long layoff and have a half dozen other shooting projects and this linebaugh that i'm working on, so it's going to be a busy winter. gotta love a project or three, right?

44man
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
44man-
got 'em today. thank you. haven't had time to even open them up and handle them, but they do look impressive after shooting 41/44/45's all these years. is that felix lube? never seen it and have read much mention of same, just never had my eyes on it before. need to drag the mic out and check these over.

i'm going to go with the hornady dies, but they're sold out at mid south and midway. still checking around. i load on an older rcbs progressive and a rockchucker, so getting the shell plate and other bits/pcs to trim and prime brass manually. have both rcbs and lyman sizers, so will get two dies-one a .476 and another spare to play with, should i want to lap it out a bit for proper/custom fit to throat.

getting kind of excited about this project. have commenced to shooting again after a long layoff and have a half dozen other shooting projects and this linebaugh that i'm working on, so it's going to be a busy winter. gotta love a project or three, right?
Yes that is Felix lube. I size to .476" with a Lee die and leave them sit for a week or so. They will grow and harden. I water drop. They will grow to .477"-.478". I don't bother sizing again, as long as they chamber they are fine. My throats measure .4765". Bore is .475".
Been having a small problem with WW's lately, some are softer and even making my harder alloy, they fall short on hardness.
I like about 25 BHN for accuracy and this batch is lucky to make 20, some are softer but they shoot OK. I had a few pounds of 50-50 pure and antimony I needed to use up and it might be why they are softer. Hard to believe one pound of pure would soften the batch that much.

deepwaterco
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Ditto on the Hornady dies! I foung that Lee did not make a case trimmer for the .475 so I got the .480 Ruger trimmer and pulled the pin out and replaced it with a longer one then ground it to proper length. I just got an LBT 400gn WFN that I can't wait to cast up. Good luck with the project I love the .475 !