PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell reloading

tackstrp
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I never see anything about selling or buying Mec 650 12 gague reloaders. Just curious any reason.

burfurd
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Not sure if this is the reason the Mec 650 is not so popular but they do NOT full length size the shell. This has to be done in a separate step prior to loading.

burfurd

tackstrp
12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Really did not know that. have loaded few thousand with the 650 that i have, for skeet. Have a few hundreds hulls all WW skeet hulls . wil run a few thru and look. . Peeked my curiousity,

Recluse
12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I picked up a MEC 650 from a member here at the first of the year. Just now got around to teaching myself the basics of shotshell reloading. Have done metallic reloading for decades. Shotshell reloading is a different game.

With that being said, I do not believe the MEC 650 is a beginner's press. Aside from not full-length sizing, I found a quirk or two with it that I haven't noticed on a friend's 600 and 600 jr. No big deal, just quirky--at least to me in my infant stages of shotshell reloading.

However, I can tell already that if I wanted to crank out a buttload of shells, that friggin' MEC 650 will flat crank 'em out!

I'll end up ordering a MEC supersizer in all liklihood, but so far, the WWAA 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz loads I've loaded have chambered, fired and extracted out of my Remington 870 Wingmaster with no problems.

:coffee:

Calamity Jake
12-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I never see anything about selling or buying Mec 650 12 gague reloaders. Just curious any reason.

There's a couple of Mec 600's in swaping and selling right now.

I had a Mec Grabber in S&S for a while but got no hits, you interested in buying one?

Calamity Jake
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Not sure if this is the reason the Mec 650 is not so popular but they do NOT full length size the shell. This has to be done in a separate step prior to loading.

burfurd

The have to FL size the hull otherwise the base would not get sized, after a couple of firings they would not chamber.

In reality, the base is the only part of the hull that gets sized although the plastic part of the hull makes a trip thru the size die too.

Every Mec SG loader that I've seen FL sizes the hull, I have two
600 Jr's and a 9000G + the Grabber that I have for sale.

be603
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I would have bought a press with an integrated sizing station but got a really good price on a used 650 about 3 years ago. So far I've just left it set up for trap/dove loads and dialed in for 2 3/4" AA hulls. Not sure I want to fiddle with it when I get around to loading 3" steel duck loads. Prolly just shop for a second used press.

I got a supersizer to use with it. A bit more handling to do it that way but the upside it getting to handle and preview each hull before putting it on the press. Occasionally I spot a bad hull that way that would have otherwise interrupted the flow and (likely) made a mess.

lead-1
12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a MEC 650 and I love it. I have put many a trap load thru it and the guy I got it from loaded for hunting and trap for two guys, himself and his son. With that being said it doesn't resize the brass of the shell but my trap gun was an 1100 Remington as well as the previous owners and the semi-autos have a little looser chamber and I had no problems with not being resized until I tried to shoot those reloads in my 870 and couldn't close the bolt on half the shells that I tried. I now have a seperate resizer to solve that problem.

burfurd
12-07-2009, 07:01 PM
According to MEC, the 650 does not full length size the shell. I think it only sizes the crimp section.

burfurd

August
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I had a MEC 650. I got so tired of spilling shot on the kitchen floor -- and listening to the subsequent grief from my wife -- that I threw it away. Yes, in the trash can, away.

Bought a 600 jr. and have been a very happy camper ever since. I use it for making competition shells -- we load and unload doubles on the clock -- and the round produced go into and come out of the gun like greased lightning. I only use STS hulls. Reload about a thousand rounds per year with it and honestly think it is every bit as fast as the 650 was. Definitely so when the time to recover from mistakes is added in.

atr
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I need to tap into you guys who know something about reloading shot shell.
after years of loading metallic I am finally getting into the shot shell stuff and find it confusing.
more about my confusion later
atr

Rich219
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I need to tap into you guys who know something about reloading shot shell.
after years of loading metallic I am finally getting into the shot shell stuff and find it confusing.
more about my confusion later
atr

Really? I think shotshell reloading is much easier than metallic.

Firebricker
12-08-2009, 01:15 AM
I had a 650 it was a good press but a like the collet type sizer on my 9000 better. My 650 had a sizing ring that screwed on station 1 you might have been able to use it while normall loading but it got in the way of the primer feed tube. Not sizing was no problem most of the time if good hulls were used no wally world cheapies. FB