PDA

View Full Version : .223 from 22lr

OneShotNeeded
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I seem to have remembered reading somewhere on here something about taking a 22lr shell and running it through a Lee sizer to unroll the crimp. Can someone shed light on this process for me? I have alot of spent 22lr shells and would love to figure this out for a minimal cost.

kawalekm
12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Derimming the .22 case is only the first of several steps. You need to make a lead core, seat that core, then swage the core/jacket into the bullet's final shape. Here's a pic of the process.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/Swaged22bullet.jpg
Unfortunately, all the dies to make a finished bullet will run at least 500$ at today's prices.

OneShotNeeded
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I've been doing a bit of research and I kinda understand the process. Some people are using a cast core and others are using a lead wire. Advantages and disadvantages? Also it seems to me that if you weighed out the material you needed for the weight you wanted dropped the core in a unrolled case and say ran it into something similar to a top punch keeping the boolit circumfrence what you need (keeping it in say a sizer) you could end up with the same thing yes? Just trying to figure out new ideas (the cheaper ones)..:)

BT Sniper
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Great thing about this sight is that there is no shortage of guys with a lot of ideas about doing things better, different, or cheaper.

I'm haveing a hard time picturing what you have in mind. I do like to keep the brain busy and try to think out possible designs but I have not yet any experience with 22LR bullets. I do weigh each one of my jackets from brass and cast cores and must say it is the most time consuming part of my process.

I have not used a top punch that I know of and would like a bit more info if you care to. Is this idea to derim the case and seat the core at the same time?

I'm sure there may be ways to speed up the process or even cheapen it a bit just paint me a clearer picture of what you have in mind. I may not have any answers but would like to follow the discusion anyways.

Good luck

BT

runfiverun
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
i think he wants to use a lee push through boolit sizer to remove the rims from 22 cases.
then use a sizer and top punch to nose form and swage.

OneShotNeeded
12-08-2009, 07:19 AM
That's kinda the idea. I know there are far better ways of going about this like buying the dies and all but when it comes down to the basics it seems that to get consistant bullets you need clean brass if that's what you're into, a specific weight core, something that this "assembly" is placed into having the appropriate dimentions and then pressed into shape.
I haven't been able to look at an actual set of say corbin dies to see exactly what they consist of and how they work but it seems to me it can't be all that complicated. If I had a lathe I'd try a few of my ideas. (will have one one day) Who knows something this simple might just work.

acemedic13
01-10-2010, 08:38 AM
hey brian, i got some guys here who want the same thing. ANy new projects on the horizon? Let me know.