PDA

View Full Version : Need some case tumbling advice

sciguy
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I have several hundred .45 acp brass that I would love to tumble in a small rock tumbler that I have on hand. The tumbler is about 7.5" in diameter and 4" deep with a total volume of about 70 ounces. I also have a bag of Zilla reptile walnut bedding as a beginning media.

My question is what is the rule of thumb for how many cases and how much media does one place in a tumbler for best results? Before I reinvent the wheel experimenting, what are appropriate fractions of tumbler volume? Are we talking about 1/4 full of brass with equal media for a total of 50% full? Is less better?
Is there a ratio of cases to media seem to work the best?

Thanks for any informed replies,

Hugh

dolang1
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I have three Harbor Freight rock tumblers. I fill mine half full with brass and the rest with media. I use walnut for a couple of hrs., then switch to corncob/nufinish for a couple of hrs. This works for me. Later Don

Shiloh
12-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Experiment.

With a rotary tumbler, I'm assuming that is what it is, there needs to be an area for the media and brass to fall. Doesn't need much though, just so you get a good action.

SHiloh

sciguy
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Experiment.

With a rotary tumbler, I'm assuming that is what it is, there needs to be an area for the media and brass to fall. Doesn't need much though, just so you get a good action.

SHiloh

dolang and SHiloh,

It is a rotary tumbler. As it turns out 200 of the .45acp probably fill it about 1/3 full.
Since I've got them bagged up in that amount already I decided to go with 200 cases plus about an equal amount of walnut media so that the tumbler is ~ 2/3 full. In a couple of hours we'll see how well things worked out.

Thanks for the replies!

Hugh

Recluse
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
dolang and SHiloh,

It is a rotary tumbler. As it turns out 200 of the .45acp probably fill it about 1/3 full.
Since I've got them bagged up in that amount already I decided to go with 200 cases plus about an equal amount of walnut media so that the tumbler is ~ 2/3 full. In a couple of hours we'll see how well things worked out.

Thanks for the replies!

Hugh

In my Thumler's, I fill it up with the walnut media to just under an inch from the top. I also let the brass tumble for quite a while--I set the timer for 12 hours and then go off and leave it. Brass is clean, shiny and ready to store/load.

:coffee:

canebreaker
12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I fill my tumbler with about 2/3 full of media. Add between 2 and 300 .38spl brass and run about 3 hours.

mike in co
12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
In my Thumler's, I fill it up with the walnut media to just under an inch from the top. I also let the brass tumble for quite a while--I set the timer for 12 hours and then go off and leave it. Brass is clean, shiny and ready to store/load.

what are the other 11 hours for ??

every one of my VIBRATORS do the job in one hour...very worst case.winter outdoor 223 brass takes 2 hours.

ohhh and as i have said many times...corn cob....i probably have 12 lbs of the 15 lbs of walnut i bought.

mike in co

Recluse
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM

every one of my VIBRATORS do the job in one hour...very worst case.winter outdoor 223 brass takes 2 hours.

:) My Thumler's is a rotary tumbler--not vibratory. It's slower--but it's thorough, and it's quiet.

The other 11 hours? I'm only semi-retired, Mike. I'm still working to maintain my health care benefits. I figure while I'm at work, the brass might as well still be tumbling as opposed to acting like an Obama supporter, which would be laying around doing absolutely nothing. [smilie=1:

ohhh and as i have said many times...corn cob....i probably have 12 lbs of the 15 lbs of walnut i bought.

mike in co

I haven't tried any GOOD corn cob in quite a few years. I still have about a half a tub of the Lyman corn cop left, but my walnut shells with some NuFinish and a capful of odorless mineral spirits makes the brass so shiny it hurts my eyes. :cool:

sheepdog
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I've been using a mix of large grain corn cob a member gave me (simular to Lymans) and walnut media from pet store on a 10 parts to 1 ratio. I soak really nasty brass in vinegar for a few minutes before it goes in but I pack mine pretty full. Seems I get better results when the tumbler is nearly full rather than just a handful of cases.

JSH
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM

mike in co

What are you using for polish Mike? Just curious as I have a bunch of 308, 7.5x55 and some othe rreally tarnished range brass to do this winter. Usally takes me about 24 hours total to get it done. I startw ith walnut on the real dirty, tarnished stuff. Then go to CC for the final polish and wax.
A guy gave me some 308 a few years back that was pull down, said it was scrap. I did as i mention above and he as much as called me a liar.
jeff

azrednek
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Sciguy when I used a rotary tumbler I'd fill it about 50% full of media then fill it up with brass. As it tumbles the media will settle inside the brass leaving enough room to get plenty of movement. I'd fill it up before leaving for work, put in another load when I returned home and change it again before going to bed. On days you're home all day anywhere from 2-6 hours will usually do it in a rotary tumbler. Unless you want your brass extremely bright, shiny and new looking you don't need to bother with wax or any additives. The media on it's own will do the job. If you have any jeweler's rouge from the kit that comes with the tumbler, add a small amount to the media and your brass will come out looking like polished gold.

mike in co
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
What are you using for polish Mike? Just curious as I have a bunch of 308, 7.5x55 and some othe rreally tarnished range brass to do this winter. Usally takes me about 24 hours total to get it done. I startw ith walnut on the real dirty, tarnished stuff. Then go to CC for the final polish and wax.
A guy gave me some 308 a few years back that was pull down, said it was scrap. I did as i mention above and he as much as called me a liar.
jeff

actually plain corn cob works great...because i do volume and work the corn cob to death..i use an inexpensive car polish...nufinish ...orange plastic 16 oz bottle is 5-6 bucks.....about 1/3-1/4 of " brass polish"

mike in co

Mike'em
12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I have about 25# of brass shavings i use in my tumbler. the good thing is you can clean it in boiling water, dry it in the shead and use it again. i use one half while the other dries. i also ran across some tarn-X at the local trade day for a dollar. If i show anyone my custom loads they see the ones wiped with the brass cleaner.

mike in co
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
:) My Thumler's is a rotary tumbler--not vibratory. It's slower--but it's thorough, and it's quiet.

The other 11 hours? I'm only semi-retired, Mike. I'm still working to maintain my health care benefits. I figure while I'm at work, the brass might as well still be tumbling as opposed to acting like an Obama vote, which would be laying around doing absolutely nothing. [smile=1:

I haven't tried any GOOD corn cob in quite a few years. I still have about a half a tub of the Lyman corn cop left, but my walnut shells with some NuFinish and a capful of odorless mineral spirits makes the brass so shiny it hurts my eyes. :cool:

stay away form stuf marketed as reloading products. the cost is too high.
14/20 blasting media form where ever you can get it. typically a 40 lb boxed/bag for 25 bucks.

try it you will not go back...

mike in co

mike in co
12-08-2009, 11:46 PM

The other 11 hours? I'm only semi-retired, Mike. I'm still working to maintain my health care benefits. I figure while I'm at work, the brass might as well still be tumbling as opposed to acting like an Obama vote, which would be laying around doing absolutely nothing. [smile=1:

yes that is why i cap'ed the vibrator...thought u might have a rotary....

mike in co

ETG
12-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I have about 25# of brass shavings i use in my tumbler. the good thing is you can clean it in boiling water, dry it in the shead and use it again. i use one half while the other dries. i also ran across some tarn-X at the local trade day for a dollar. If i show anyone my custom loads they see the ones wiped with the brass cleaner.

If I remember right Tarn-X has amonia like Brasso - not good for brass cases.

sciguy
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
stay away form stuf marketed as reloading products. the cost is too high.
14/20 blasting media form where ever you can get it. typically a 40 lb boxed/bag for 25 bucks.

try it you will not go back...

mike in co

Mike and all of the other posters,

It turns out our local WW Graingers is only about 2 miles from the indoor range where I do winter Bullseye league.
They will have a 40 bag of 14/20 media ready for me next week when I go up to do the weekly league match.
Total cost including tax just under $25.00 as you said.

Thanks for all the useful information.

Hugh

Echo
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I used to use a rock polisher for cleaning and lubing cases. The Cleaner container was about the same size as yours. My technique was to fill the tumbler 1/2 full with media. Then I couldn't overload it with brass. I tried putting in 1/2 brass, then filling with media, and the media filling the empty cases made for too much media, and no actual tumbling. I use the same technique with my vibrator.

My zwei pfennigs...

mike in co
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I used to use a rock polisher for cleaning and lubing cases. The Cleaner container was about the same size as yours. My technique was to fill the tumbler 1/2 full with media. Then I couldn't overload it with brass. I tried putting in 1/2 brass, then filling with media, and the media filling the empty cases made for too much media, and no actual tumbling. I use the same technique with my vibrator.

My zwei pfennigs...

actually the vibrators work best when near full...better action.

try for 3/4 or better between brass and media.....put the brass in first...at least half full, and media. shake a little to settle the media in the brass..then put the top on.

mike in co

TAWILDCATT
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
if your brass is real bad get the liquid brass cleaner it works in ten minutes,and you can then put it in tumblers and polish in very short time.
the brasso wont bother the brass if you dont soak it for days.most is obsorbed by the media.