PDA

View Full Version : Need some 308 LE Ishapore Loads

cheese1566
12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
My Ishapore 2A in 308 (actually 7.62 NATO!) is coming back to life.
I will be reloading for her using an abundant supply of IMR4064.

Anybody out there specifically load for a 308 Ishapore? What works for you?

I would like to explore casting for her and using LEE molds. Which direction should I go for weight and size? I will probably ask for some samples on the bullet exchange before buying a mold. But if a sizer and mold come by cheap I may jump on them. I here some guys talk about using 312 molds and sizing them to .310, .311, and .312. Seems big and wonder if they are refering to .303 British instead.
I have not had a chance to slug the bore at this time. Need to find some suitable slugs...

I will also be loading FMJ since they will coincide with my Garand.

felix
12-06-2009, 11:36 PM
The sample I have has a very large neck, but the barrel is very close to nominal 308. So, for you condom bullets (FMJ) use 38 grains and move up a grain at a time until you find your accuracy, but not exceeding a rounded rifle primer after firing. 40K average max. ... felix

docone31
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
For my Ishy, with patched loads sized to .309, I use start load data of 4064.
Couldn't ask for more.
I use the Lee .30cal 180gn.
Works for me.

dualsport
12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm not nearly the authority here on these things, but in my Ishy I use the fattest .30 boolit that will chamber easily. The great secret I've learned from others is to fit the throat and just engage the rifling. If you have a fired case from that gun measure it, inside neck diameter. That oughta be about the diameter of your cast bullet, again assuming a dummy cartridge will chamber easily. My guess is it will be over .308 by a bit, that's ok. This forum is loaded with info on the Ishys. There's a Doctor here who will suggest paper patched boolits in your Ishy. I haven't tried it yet but I will, I believe he's onto something.