PDA

View Full Version : Deer in the thick stuff

44man
12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Got tired of sitting around this afternoon after sanding a few gun stocks so I put on my hunting clothes and went out. Seen a bunch of deer running through the valley behind me so I twisted around to watch them. They went up the hill and were not getting closer. It is thick, a lot of saplings and brush. A nice doe was going towards an opening so I shot her at about 55 yards, good heart shot. She went 20 yards. I used my .475 BFR again.

kingstrider
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice doe. I'm still bummed because I missed the entire modern gun season due to dental school. But muzzleloader opens up again next weekend and I'll be finished with my exams so I should be on stand for a few mornings at least.

44man
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I wanted to change guns but found I have nothing loaded. I only have three rounds left for the .475. No time to cast and load taking Carol to to get her back fixed four times a week.

Whitworth
12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Congratulations, Jim! Nice shooting as always!

Bucks Owin
12-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Your freezer must be looking pretty good by now amigo. Straight shooting as usual 44man!...Dennis

Changeling
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Congratulations, Jim! Nice shooting as always!

Whitworth, where are you located in Virginia, I'm in Frederick Maryland.

Jim if you get tired of eating all that venison just let me know, I'd be glad to take it off your hands, LOL.

Nice shot by the way. Things might have started slow for you but you're sure in the grove now.What bullet were you using?

44man
12-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Jim if you get tired of eating all that venison just let me know, I'd be glad to take it off your hands, LOL.

Nice shot by the way. Things might have started slow for you but you're sure in the grove now.What bullet were you using?
Hey, you are only about 20 miles from me. I live in Bakerton, WV, near Harpers Ferry. We have to get together and shoot. You, me and Marko. Once I have time to make something to shoot that is.
I am using the boolit I made a mold for, the 420 WFN or as Marko calls it "The almost WFN."
I only keep two deer. The lady down the road has always let me hunt so I get her and her sister two deer apiece each year. They come to help butcher and wrap. They buy paper and tape for me.

Whitworth
12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Changeling, I am sending you a PM.......

BOOM BOOM
12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
HI,
I AM ENVIOUS AGAIN!
In UT. you get 1 deer, if you can find 1. You get 1 elk if you can find 1 after buying a seperate tag. And they are going to shorten the season to 5 days next year I have been told..

44man
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
HI,
I AM ENVIOUS AGAIN!
In UT. you get 1 deer, if you can find 1. You get 1 elk if you can find 1 after buying a seperate tag. And they are going to shorten the season to 5 days next year I have been told..
I seen 5 or 6 this morning, one nice buck too but it is the last day of doe season. Seen 3 more tonight but all day they were too far and in the thick stuff. Pete see a bunch along with a huge buck. Marko missed two and found branches shot off.
Next week is muzzle loader but I will only be able to get out a few times. I am glad I did not kill another, too much to do the next week to butcher.