PDA

View Full Version : follower troubles

RU shooter
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I was shooting our clubs monthly cmp style match this morning and had something odd happen .When I went to load via stripper clips the rear of the follower would hang up on I'm assuming the rear of the mag box and wouldnt let it depress into the mag box unless I pushed the follower forward slightly either with the bolt or my finger? any Ideas on whats causing this? and how to fix it.

Thanks,Tim

MtGun44
12-06-2009, 04:07 PM
What rifle??

Bill

RU shooter
12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
What rifle??

Bill its an 03A3. I editted the title

Ben
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
RU shooter :

I'll watch this one to see the replies.....my friend has a 1903 ( not 03-A3) and it does exactly the same thing.

Ben

6.5 mike
12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Take the bolt out & look at the back of the magazine box, if the lip that seats in the receiver is sticking out the follower may be hanging up on it. Also on an 03a3 with a stamped follower, there may be a burr or something not letting it slide down.
I've had the same thing happen on both lr & sr mausers, missmatched parts, a slight radius or light chamber on the box & underside of the follower has fixed it for me. In fact I've gotten to where I do this whenever I get a "new one".

RU shooter
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
a slight radius or light chamber on the box & underside of the follower has fixed it for me. In fact I've gotten to where I do this whenever I get a "new one". Thanks 6.5, This seemed to cure the problem. I put a bevel on the back inside lip on the mag box and bevelled the underside rear of the follower,Man is that follower hard a file would'nt touch it !!!

Tim

6.5 mike
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
RU shooter, glad it worked for you, just a trick I picked up along the way. Another good one for a 98 is to use a follower for a 77 ruger long action. IIRC they are long & trim to fit.
It takes the slop (fore & aft) out, works well with long rounds like 35 whelen, 280 rem, ect.