PDA

View Full Version : Reichsrevolver/1883 Mauser: Please help...

lathesmith
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
My father and I recently picked up this piece and was wondering what it is, and its approximate value. It's marked "Waffenf.Mauser Oberndorf 1883" (or possibly 1893). The barrel is stamped 10.55, which I gather is about equivilant to the 44 Russian. This gun is in beautiful condition, is fully fuctioning, and is only missing an external screw and spring, which should be fairly easy to fabricate. Other than a weak hand spring(I assume it is supposed to have one), it works great.

Any of you guys got any knowledge about or experience with these? I fully understand that firing it is a BP-only deal, and fabricating ammo won't be a problem. It appears to have been rather expertly re-finished, possibly in the '40's or '50"s, and has all matching numbers but no military markings that I can see.

Thanks for any help or insights,
lathesmith

mroliver77
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Some info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1879_Reichsrevolver

MtGun44
12-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Seems like there was an article about this revolver recently in one of the newsstand
mags. If I run across it, I'll let you know. I remember the odd safety on a revolver,
IIRC it was demanded by the Prussian cavalry.

Bill

KCSO
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Guns and Ammo about 2-3 months ago Garry James did a whole article and gave test loads for this gun. You might want to check it out it had all the info you are looking for.

lathesmith
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
A search of the G&A site didn't yield any results, though there is a fairly recent Garry James article on French pinfire revolvers.

Bill, yes, that is a very strange safety, it prevents both hammer cocking and cylinder movement. However, as with all its contemperaries, the only safe way to carry this revolver loaded is with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

lathesmith

scrapcan
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Was this in one of the G&A Mil Surp sepcial additions? I seem to remember something on this order also.

MtGun44
12-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I'll see if I can find the article. Garry James does sound right, he always does nice
pieces on historic guns from his collection.

Bill