PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 27 - What to watch out for?

rickster
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I am thinking about buying a Marlin mo 27 to add to my 25-20 rifles. I will no doubt have to resort to online auctions, since I never see one in the flesh.

What should a buyer watch out for? Do they have a fatal flaw, or a part that wears out or is commonly missing that can not be repaired or replaced?

Marvin S
12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I have two of these one in 32-20 and a 25-20. Make sure the outer mag tube stays open when you pull it out to the end. There is a little split tab on this that holds it open. If you are not familiar with them you may think the so called saftey is broke as all it does is allow you to open the action with the hammer cocked but its more of a pain in the A$$ than it's worth. My 25-20 seems to have an over sized chamber as it splits some cases and chamber cast at .355 max so you may look for that. It may have been from to hot a load at some time. You may know that the Marbles tang sights are still made for these. Make sure the two take down screw threads are good. Both of mine work perfect except for the chamber problem on the 25-20 and I have neaver had a problem with them.

rickster
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Marvin.