PDA

View Full Version : Rossi .44Mag ballard rifled m92 clone from Bud's Gun Shop...

O.S.O.K.
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
How about a big bore levergun? Well if you've ever thought of getting one, I suggest that you take advantage of the deal at Buds Gun Shop. I got a 20" Rossi Puma with cressant buttplate, cch receiver and octagonal barrel shipped to me this past week. It does take a few upgrades IMHO to get it to "just right" but when you see the price and consider that its ballard rifled with a 1:20" twist rate (will stabalize 360 grain bullets), it becomes a very attractive opportunity.

As said, http://www.budsgunshop.com (Bud's Gun Shop) has Rossi puma .44 mag leverguns for a very low price right now. I understand that they may be clearancing these out making way for the Chiappa, Italian leverguns. Regardless, I ordered one and it arrived this past week. (you have to go to the pistols menu, look for the "cowboy action" link and click on it and go to the 2nd page to see these)

Anyway, I got it two days ago and here's my impression and experiences since then...

Here's a couple pics that I shot quick after cleaning it up and installing a Marbles tang sight:
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_134.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_1371.jpg
(the discoloration on the lever is just oil)

Overall, I'm happy with it. It feels good in my hands.

Observations:
- it was pretty dirty - had rusty grease inside and the bore was dirty dirty
- the sights are cheap - but the sight picture is good
- the wood is nice - I'm not sure what kind of walnut but its a vast improvement over the stuff they used to use
- the cressant butplate feels good on my shoulder - its tall and wide enough so it doesn't dig in to the flesh
- the action is pretty smooth and the trigger ain't bad at all
- I'm glad I have the safety button replacment cause the safety wing has to go

I cycled some dummy rounds through it and everything but the long-nosed keith swc boolits fed without a hitch. I noticed that the chamber is throated a bit...

I have the safety replacement and steel mag cap coming already ( http://www.stevesgunz.com (Steve's Gunz) )

Can't really tell you much more until it goes to the range!

But I'm very pleased so far. Especially for the price. ($365 delivered).

------------

Well, solved the sight problem. I discovered that simply peening the edges of the dovetails down a bit allows you to use standard 3/8" sights and blanks. It only took just a little bit. Not perfect - there's a little "air" under the front blade but its seated snuggly in the dovetail which is the most important thing. Ditto on the sight blank - fits fine. So, I've got the sights set up.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_1391.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_138.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_140.jpg

-------------------

Range results:

Preliminary, 25 yards (is cold 42 degrees - cold for Texas! and windy) shot with arms supported on bench.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_146.jpg

Here's the brass - you can see that there's no bulge and that with the hot loads that I was shooting, the ejector does make a mark on the primer.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_144.jpg

The loads (you may be able to read the load label above) are 25 grains of H110 under Hornady 240 gr. XTP's - book velocity is 1900 fps from a 20" carbine. So these aren't exactly target loads and they are the hardest kicking loads that I've tried out of my Marlin - more so than the 310 gr/1550 fps loads.

I'm happy to report that the cressant buttplate was easy on the shoulder given its generous dimensions - and the rifle function perfectly. And the bonus was that it was sighted in perfectly right from the get go - just a little high. I adjusted the sight down a bit and shot the above group and packed up!

Next time, I'll be shooting at 100 yards and trying some other loads. But for now - I'm about as pleased as I can be with the Puma. :D

runfiverun
12-05-2009, 10:57 PM
you can get a replacement spring for the ejector from brownells.
do you need one? does it toss brass about 10 feet in front of you. or dent the case mouths. if not then you don't.
sometimes that is where the marks come from.

jack19512
12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
I've been looking at these on their web site. Can't decide if I want the .357, 44 mag, or the .454. Bud's isn't far from where I live and I stop there frequently for my powder and primers.

O.S.O.K.
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
The marks on the primers are from the boltface leaving the impression during fire.

I haven't ejected the brass normally yet! The range was wet and muddy and I just ejected them into my hand.

It seems just fine - but I'll find out the next time I shoot.

I suppose I could put an empty in it in the shop and eject it and see what that does....

It does seem very postive though...

454PB
12-06-2009, 10:59 PM
So how come the label says "Marlin"?

doubs43
12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
My Puma 92 kicks the brass upward sharply and generally to the right. Shooting over sticks from a seated position, I find it easy to catch before it hits the ground.

jh45gun
12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Seems that gun shop has less than a stellar reputation.

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum47/1573.html

jack19512
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Seems that gun shop has less than a stellar reputation.

I can't explain those deals that went bad but I have been dealing with them for quite a while and never a problem. Just recently purchased my 2 Contenders there. Always very friendly and helpful. Now if I am not mistaken they have two operations the gun shop itself and the warehouse/Internet business but the only one that I have ever done business with is the gun shop. I like to handle and inspect any gun I buy. They have a gorgeous young gal that works there. :-)

jh45gun
12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure the complaints are on the Internet business

gifford
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Looks like Bud's has the 45 LC versions of the 44 Mag as well. I have the Marlin 38/357 and lately been thinking about a 45 LC to match the Blackhawk. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Hanzerik
12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I can't explain those deals that went bad but I have been dealing with them for quite a while and never a problem. Just recently purchased my 2 Contenders there. Always very friendly and helpful. Now if I am not mistaken they have two operations the gun shop itself and the warehouse/Internet business but the only one that I have ever done business with is the gun shop. I like to handle and inspect any gun I buy. They have a gorgeous young gal that works there. :-)

Same Here.

Bought both of my Pumas from Buds Gun Shop and had them shipped to an FFL here. Smooth deal and fast shipping, I recommend them to folks looking for something they have in stock. I will also continue to buy from them in the future since their prices beat any around here.

This is the first time I have heard anything negative about Bud's Gun Shop.

O.S.O.K.
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
My load label says Marlin because I have a Marlin 44 too ;)

I've purchased two guns from Buds on the internet and both were handled perfectly. But nobody's perfect....

Here's an update:

My packet from Steve's Gunz arrived and I installed the two items...

Safety banishment device:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_147.jpg

Mag tube cap replacement (stainless steel):

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3414/medium/Picture_148.jpg

These changes took all of 15 minutes to accomplish :)

The safety replacement is a snap - just open the action, drift out the cross-pin (left to right) that holds the safety in place, pull the safety out, watch the detant ball go flying into the netherlands, place the new button into the hole with the pin notch forward and then carefully drift the pin back through - viola' you done. The mag tube cap is cake - one screw releases the guts.

I actually found the tiny detant ball. This is because I really didn't need it. If I had, I never would have located it. ;)

Blammer
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
very nice! Humor me and tell me how the 'safety' button is suppose to work, never heard of or seen one before.

Southern Son
12-12-2009, 01:26 AM
I am waiting on a Permit to Aquire for a lever gun. I am leaning further and further towards one of these in 44 mag and stainless.

gon2shoot
12-12-2009, 02:24 AM
So do ya like it or not? :D

I have some high dollar 92s and some imports. My favorite is the Puma 16" 45. Plenty accurate, plenty power, and flat fun to shoot.

Enjoy that gun

doubs43
12-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I am waiting on a Permit to Aquire for a lever gun. I am leaning further and further towards one of these in 44 mag and stainless.

I have the Puma 92 in 44 Mag and it's a fine little rifle. Using a Marble's tang sight, it has good accuracy at 100 meters but falls off quickly after that. I wouldn't use it for any kind of game beyond 125 yards. In fairness, I have only shot cast bullets through mine so it's possible that jacketed bullets would extend that range.

Now to my point: IF I intended to use the lever rifle for distances of 150 yards or more, I'd go with the 45-70 Marlin rather than the 44 Mag. The cartridge is very easy to load up or down and is generally more accurate than a 44 Mag.

Just my opinion but something to consider.

O.S.O.K.
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
very nice! Humor me and tell me how the 'safety' button is suppose to work, never heard of or seen one before.

Not sure what you're asking? The button is just a plug that covers the hole left by removing the safety. :)

I must admit that while I was shooting at the range with it before removing the safety, the wing safety wasn't that bad - I just ignored it. But I don't like how easily it can be moved and it just doesn't belong on a 92 action IMHO. The half-cock is just fine.

And YES, I really like this rifle and am actually considering getting the 24" barreled version for $386 delivered - that is just such a great price. I'd get it with the intention of giving it to one of my kids eventually... just hard to pass up such a great deal.

Ekalb2000
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Whats the twist rate on these?
Would they handle the big Lee 310gr?
What did your brl slug out to? If its near 431, I might just have to pick one up.

Thanks

andy

doubs43
02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Whats the twist rate on these?
Would they handle the big Lee 310gr?
What did your brl slug out to? If its near 431, I might just have to pick one up.

Thanks

andy

Andy, mine slugs at .433". I'd much prefer a .429" or even .430".

Boomer Mikey
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have 2 Puma's in 44 Magnum a 20" Carbine and a 24" Western Rifle. Both rifles have oversize bores at 0.433" - 0.434". I sent the carbine back under warranty with a 0.434" bore and they replaced the barrel with a 0.433" bore.

They seem to have a different idea of what the 44 Magnum bore should be; however, to be fair I also have a 45 Colt and 2 357 Magnum Puma's with good barrels and all of them shoot well when properly sized bullets are used in them (.001" - .002" over bore size.)

All PUMA's have a 1:20 twist rate

Boomer

Warhawk
02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Steve Young worked with Rossi and resolved the oversized bore issue, you can ask him about it over on the leverguns.com forum.

OSOK, I bought one of the .44s from Bud's, just like yours. The first thing I'm tackling on mine is the stock, I do not like the crescent buttplate. I'm planning to round that sharp point at the heel of the stock. I hope I don't run into a porous casting. The fit of the wood to the buttplate is pretty poor on mine, and not a whole lot that can be done about it without some new wood.

I got lucky and found a SRC buttstock from a round barrelled carbine, but it doesn't fit and is going to require a dremel took to make it fit. This stock is about 3/4" shorter than the crescent buttplate stock.

I'm not sure which stock I'll end up with, all my other 92's have the SRC type buttstock.