PDA

View Full Version : Wound channel from a CB?

deerstalkerks
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Afternoon gents, was sitting here and thinking about Hunting, and had a thought about expanding bullets. I shoot a lot of .41Mag. I harvested a doe and a nice 7 pt. buck this week. All were taken with a 210 gr. Remington jhp, I recovered the bullet from the buck. Not much of a mushroom, would cast boolits be the same?Dead deer, is the same as dead deer!! Just curious about the wound channel? thanks Richard..:redneck:

Jim
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I can't lay much claim to being a terminal ballistics expert, but I can tell you this: Solid, jacketed, cast, no matter. You put a hole in his heart and he'll fall down.

dsmjon
12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
What distances are typical for your shots? Remember as velocity decreases, so will the amount of expansion, be it cast or a J-word boolit. With cast though, you won't have to tear a metal to get more expansion.

An over simplified representation of my 4 cents, which has been increased from 2 cents last year, due to the rapidly devaluation since more cents are being made now.

waksupi
12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Cast bullets will most likely go completely through giving a better blood trail, with a good wound channel.

leftiye
12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Unless you go to radical mushrooms with all lead boolits, they will do just about exactly what a jacketed bullet will do if it has the same mushroom. The "umbrella" mushrooms tend to shear off (in both cast and jacketed - less in jacketed), and then the boolit/bullet continues on as a kind of wadcutter. I prefer a smaller mushroom which appears as a expanded flat point (wadcutter)only, which will still penetrate deeply. Big mushrooms in big bore pistol calibers tend to lose penetration (if they hold together). Jackets would seem to be best at holding the bullet together and controlling expansion at higher velocities. Boolits (all lead) that are hard and don't expand tend to hold together and to penetrate extremely.

Kskybroom
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I load 1250fps In 44 mag. 300 an 240 swc gc as soft as i can without leading for hunting.Soft boolits Mushroom (deform) better then hard. swc makes a better wound cannel then rd. imop

RugerFan
12-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Afternoon gents, was sitting here and thinking about Hunting, and had a thought about expanding bullets. I shoot a lot of .41Mag. I harvested a doe and a nice 7 pt. buck this week. All were taken with a 210 gr. Remington jhp, I recovered the bullet from the buck. Not much of a mushroom, would cast boolits be the same?Dead deer, is the same as dead deer!! Just curious about the wound channel? thanks Richard..:redneck:

CB expansion will depend greatly on velocity and alloy. Cast your .41 mag bullets to about 9 BHN and see what happens.

44man
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I have zero experience with the .41 because I never found a use for one when the .44 was the same price.
But with the .44, I found expansion killed penetration so I went to LBT style boolits at heavier weights. I use hard boolits with no expansion and after many, many deer kills, I will never go back to any expansion with the .44, .45 and .475. Only when velocity gets too high will I use expanding boolits, like the 45-70. Or small calibers like the .357, then the little boolits won't go through deer either if they expand. They will not kill good if they are hard and poke a hole either.
The .41 is a funny, in between caliber with boolits too light for penetration so I would prefer a heavy WFN style, cast hard. Then it will equal the .44.

sheepdog
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Heres a great resource (http://www.stevespages.com/page8f.htm) for expansion tests of various commercial FMJ, JHP, JSP, and cast boolits. No 41 mag though but heres 44 mag for an idea.
http://stevespages.com/jpg/wp-hornady-rugerblackhawk-55-1562.jpg

rob45
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Here is a thread concerning terminal performance in a hunting bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68591

The OP is trying to develop an ideal load for 45-70 to use on moose; lots of interesting commentary.