PDA

View Full Version : great plains rifle or kit??

RICKGO1
12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I have a lyman 54 cal great plains rifle.1 in 66 or 60 twist. I was trying to sell local and the question has been asked. Is it a kit gun or the real deal.I got it many years ago at a gun show, and assumed it was the real deal. Anyone know how to tell the. difference? Any idea what it is worth in verry good condition.

madcaster
12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Well friend,considering that they are $520.00 in Midway USA's now,I think $350.00 in good shape with no scratches is a giood price.
I do not know how to tell on Lyman's guns,but on T/C IF the serial number has a "K" in the front then it IS a kit gun.

jack19512
12-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Anyone know how to tell the. difference?

Don't take my word for this because it's been a while since I purchased my Lyman GPR but if my memory serves me correctly when I purchased mine I had the option of getting a kit or the ready to go fully assembled and shoot rifle. I got the fully assembled one.

I asked the dealer what was the main difference between the two was and he said that they are basically the same thing except you had to put the kit together and all and maybe do a little fit work which made the kit a little cheaper of course. I assumed the stock was already finished(stained)but maybe not. Anyway, my point is basically the kit is the real deal so to speak.

bob208
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
the kit you have to finish. stain and oil the stock blue or brown the barrel. now some kits i have seen done were grusome at best but they worked some were finished and looked nice. some were even better looking then the factory guns. now for the differance of $30. i allways got the finished rifle.

so with all that if your rifle looks that good that they have to ask. then it does not matter.

one other thing i don't understand sell a gun ??

mooman76
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
It really make no difference whether it is a kit gun or not and most if not all, you can't reallly tell. It's basically the same gun just someone finished it out. They could either take thier time and do a better than factory job finnishing it or they could do a sloppy job putting it together. And just because they bought it finished doesn't mean they took propercare of it. Some people also take a assymboled one and finish it out or do modifications to their liking. What it really comes down to is what shape is it in now?

bubba.50
12-05-2009, 10:23 PM
as stated; makes no real difference. that bein' said, early kits you had to finish metal(brown or blue it), also the stock needed small amounts of fitting then whatever stain and finish you wanted to put on it. newer kits metal was already finished i believe and all you had to fool with was stock. even though you can save a bit, most people would rather just get the finished rifle. midway is getting as expensive as brownells. midsouth has finished for $442.01 and kit for $350.90 a savings of nearly $100.00. for whta it's worth, bubba.

jack19512
12-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Well friend,considering that they are $520.00 in Midway USA's now

WOW, either Midway is getting on the expensive side or they have gone up a lot since I bought mine. Again, if memory serves me correctly around 1 year ago I paid about $370.00 for mine assembled.

peter nap
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I got a flyer from Midway today. They are 3 something on sale. Of course it is Midway and shipping may be $200.00