PDA

View Full Version : Nickel plating?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Are nickel plated guns really delicate? The local “expurts” claim that if a nickel plating gets a scratch or nick the finish will flake off. As far as maintenance and durability is concerned, how does nickel plating compare to a blued finish? To a stainless finish?

44man
12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Are nickel plated guns really delicate? The local “expurts” claim that if a nickel plating gets a scratch or nick the finish will flake off. As far as maintenance and durability is concerned, how does nickel plating compare to a blued finish? To a stainless finish?
Yes some solvents ruin it and it can flake off. I had a lot of trouble with a S&W so I had them strip it and blue the gun.
I now love stainless because a Scotch Brite pad can make them like new.
Blue is nice and it is tough so a blued gun is also nice to have.

MT Gianni
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I had a nickel model 19 that had no finish issues and a lot of holster time. I wish I still had it.

EDK
12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Nickle has a bad reputation for durabilty IF it is not cared for. Hoppe's#9 is supposed to damage it if not removed promptly. There are nickle variations like electroless nickle or ROBAR's NP-3, but they are not shiny like the original, that are extremely durable.

If you want a durable white finish, investigate the various hard chromes like Metalloy or Armoloy, etc. The "combat pistol shooters" could provide more info on these finishes.

Stainless Smith & Wessons and Rugers have served me well.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

1874Sharps
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Thus far my Colt SAA with a nickel finish has held up quite well. It has shot quite a few smokeless and BP loads. There are physical chemistry reasons why a break in the nickel finish (such as a scratch) will draw rust like a magnet draws iron. Thus far there are no breaks in my finish and no problems. I do like the way nickel looks, too.

buck1
12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I have seen many revolvers with nikel flafing off at the front of the cylinder....Buck

captaint
12-06-2009, 01:14 AM
2nd Nut - Have you ever seen an older nickle gun in mint cond?? I never have. I have a nickle Mod 19 that I bought before my first son was born. He's 30 now and I've never fired that gun - been a safe queen all that time. The finish is no longer mint. If it had been blued, it would still be as new... My experience. Mike

Gerry N.
12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
I've always liked blue steel. Nickle and chrome seem to me to be just trailer trash tacky. Never cared for it.

OOOOOH!........SHINEY!

Your mileage may vary.

Gerry N.

wistlepig1
12-06-2009, 01:50 AM
I had a S&W Model 28 that I carried for years after it was Armoloyed and it looked the same as it did the day I got it back from them. They were here in Colorado for years but now I think that they moved to Texas. FYI

Oldtimer
12-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Carried a nickel mod 19 with the PD for about 7 yrs. (Motoycycle) Also shot several thousand through it. The 66 came out, and I sold the 19. Still was in great shape. Bob

runfiverun
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
the biggest problem with the chrome plating is that it doesn't flex back and forth with the heating and cooling like the rest of the gun does.
it's super hard and a good coating to preserve the gun, but it's self destructing.
there's an article in either the dec or jan shooting times on gun coatings.

HeavyMetal
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Nickeled versus blued steel: Not a problem until you start doing a lot of holster work and then blueing rubs off. My first IPSC gun was a hard chromed polished frame and a blued slide gun was built 1974 since then I've re blued the slide 4 times the frame has never given me a problem. This is again hard chrome which is applied differently than regular nickel but don't ask me how.

About 1975 I bought a nickled model 29 with the 8 3/8's inch barrel, thought the asking price of 300 out the door was enough to get me to live with the nickel finish, and I have been veery happy with the way the nickel has held up on that gun but it has never really seen the inside of a holster. Lots of full house loads through this gun and I've had to re-adjust cylinder end shake once but so far no damage to the finish and no flaking either.

So here's how I've alway seen gun finishs: Blueing is great but the most fragile, nickel looks great for a very long time but might have issues in an IPSC type life style. There is a big difference between "carrying" a gun in a holster and drawing from that same holster 100 times or more a week!

Stainless Steel and the hard chome finishs are the most durable. Currently playing with the Dura coat stuff but haven't gotten enough field time to give honest feed back other than to say this is easy to do at home and looks good when finished!

Would I have an issue buying another nickled gun? Not at all! I buys what I likes, I make up my own mind about gun stuff and I quit listening to guys gathered around a "Cracker" barrel because they struck like a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks: they talk a great game but can't quite make it happen on the field!

If you get a good deal on a nickeled gun buy it!