PDA

View Full Version : 1903a3

TAWILDCATT
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
the parade rifles are junk.they cannot be restored as the locking lugs and receiver has been milled away.I cant post pictures as the mgb are more than allowed.

wiljen
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
send me the pics to webmaster (At) castpics.net and I'll convert them so they fit.

MtGun44
12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Not all had the locking lugs messed with. Many have been rebuilt and apparently
work just fine. In most cases, the bolt is just replaced but the receiver is apparently
OK. I don't own one, ( I have a few 1903s and 03A3s) but have seen them for
sale as shooters and I believe that Mike Venturino's new (and accurate) 03A4
sniper replica started life as a drill rifle.

Bill

Kraschenbirn
12-06-2009, 02:02 PM
I believe I may have seen a batch of the actions the new Gibbs 03A4s were built on while they were being reworked. I'd rather not name the shop, but in addition to day-to-day gunsmithing and custom work, he does a considerable amount of reconditioning milsurps for some of the large outlets. Actions I handled were just, flat-out beautiful! All had been completely stripped and re-heat treated before being bead-blasted, re-blued, and reassembled using all new hardware (springs, pins, etc.) and (new?) replacement bolts. The two or three that I tried cycled slicker'n snot and had decent (for a milsurp) trigger pulls. Tried to convince the shop owner to "lose" one into the same box with the rebarreled VZ-24 I was picking up but my powers of persuasion must of been off-line that day and I left with only my Mauser.

Bill

TAWILDCATT
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
mine has the welds,and bolt ,but they milled the whole bottom of receiver away from locking lug and side rail to front screw.I am going to call and find out about it.as no mention was made of the cut.I bet the atf found out they were being rstored and had the last cut.

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I called the dealer and he said the ATF found out about the rework and several companies got chewed.they ordered the receivers destroyed so they could not be reworked.
destroyed by milling the bottom out as mine is.
hope nobody gets a visit.

StarMetal
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I called and the ATF found out about the rework and several companies got chewed.the ordered the receivers destroyed so they could not be reworked.
destroyed by milling the bottom out as mine is.
hope nobody gets a visit.

I'm sure if they do get a visit it will be partly your fault. Boy, talk about stirring a rattlesnake den. I like to be right all the time, but won't go that far to prove so.

Joe

siamese4570
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I bought one of the reworked 1903a3's from AIM. It had a problem with the stock so I called AIM and they referred me to the company thatrebuilt them. I got to talking with the ownerand ask him where the actions came from. He said that he had come across several thousand parade rifles and the de-mill process varied depending on who did them. The ones that were "lightly" demilled were rebuilt. By the way, they fixed the stock problem promptly.

siamese 4570

C1PNR
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
siamese4570[/B]]
I bought one of the reworked 1903a3's from AIM. It had a problem with the stock so I called AIM and they referred me to the company thatrebuilt them. I got to talking with the ownerand ask him where the actions came from. He said that he had come across several thousand parade rifles and the de-mill process varied depending on who did them. The ones that were "lightly" demilled were rebuilt. By the way, they fixed the stock problem promptly.

siamese 4570
I just saw your name for the first time today. Did you get one of the Navy Arms reworked Siamese, or did you do your own version?

I bought the rifle mail order and then had a local gunsmith do the work. Douglas barrel, but Lyman sights and just made the stock work, with a Shotgun lace on butt pad to give a little more length of pull. I really like it, but it does need a new stock.:bigsmyl2: