PDA

View Full Version : Handgun rests?

buck1
12-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Good morning all. I have been shooting handguns darn neer since birth. I mostly like the bigger boys 44 mag & up.
One thing that has always ben a thorn in my side , is that I cant seem to find a good rest. I have bought and made a several over the years, the best so far is a 3 sided wooden box filled with old bath towels and covered with another bath towel. But its still not right.
I want a rest that does not change the point of impact from rest to off hand and of cource really helps with a steady hold.
I have tryed a open grip frame holds ,resting the bbl only , cylinder frame only ,both, hard ,soft ...etc....etc...etc
I guess I need some ideas from some other die hards . Thanks in advance....Buck

Edubya
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Buck, I've always been taught that you should never rest any point of the pistol. The best that you can do, IMHO, is set up that three sided wooden box with something of the consistency of molding clay that will lock the wrist as solid and consistently as you can.
EW

Edubya
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
It was just pointed out to me that this recipe is not "molding clay" but is "play dough".
Here is the recipe for play dough:
Traditional Play Dough

* 1 cup flour
* 1 cup warm water
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon oil
* 1/4 cup salt

Mix all ingredients. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled. Will last for a long time.

http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/art/playdoughrecipes/traditional.html
EW

44man
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Some guns like my .475 and 45-70 revolvers shoot the same off hand as they do from sandbags. Others do not.
If you want good sight settings, shoot from Creedmore to sight in.
From bags I rest the end of the barrel and the butt on a bag. Nothing else works as good. But some calibers will not hit the same place off hand.
If you sight in off hand, you must be good enough to call every shot. Only when the boolit goes to the spot the sight was on when the gun went off will you be able to adjust sights.

Bucks Owin
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/First003.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/22WM001.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/310L001.jpg This homegrown rest produced these groups but I can do just as well with three sandbags. Two in front to rest the barrel on and one behind to rest my hand and the butt on. Yes, a Ransom Rest only "grips" the gripframe but resting parts of the sixgun hurts nothing as long as the same position and grip are held by the shooter.....FWIW, Dennis :-| (BTW, the Creedmore position as 44man mentioned is a fine one. A good silhouette shooter can rival these groups using it I'd say...;-) )

crabo
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I made a three sided box and used it for a while but my current method is to use a rifle rest in front, resting right in front of the trigger guard on a sandbag in the rest. I then put a bunny bag under my right wrist. I do not put a bag under the grip.

I put another bag under my left hand which is wrapped around my right hand, and another bag under my left elbow. The gun can recoil pretty freely and it is my hands that are supported. The advantage to all of this is that I carry all of this stuff in my shooting bag, which I roll around on a 2 wheeler. I can switch from rifle to pistol pretty easy.

If this doesn't make sense, I can set up and take a picture. I really like the bunny bag under my right wrist. (BTW, I'm right handed)

Shiloh
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice rest Bucks!!

Shiloh

Bucks Owin
12-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Nice rest Bucks!!

ShilohThanks Shiloh, not much to it really, just some hardwood scraps from under the tablesaw. Nice thing about hardwood, you can thread it for the "front feet". Think I'll make another one of these days with an adjustable sliding buttrest....Dennis :wink:

buck1
12-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys, Very helpfull!!...Buck